650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > no spark to both plugs

no spark to both plugs
    Forum Index -> Electrical
williams

PostPosted: January 4, 2006, 2:47 pm    Post subject: no spark to both plugs

Hey, guys I just bought a 1980 650 special2. the problem that i'm having with it is that i can't get any spark to the plugs. Power is coming all the way to the coil because I tested it. I'm wodering if the coil is bad or could it be something else. There is a wire coming off of the silinoid with a plastic boot on it that is disconected from everything else and I'm wondering if this could be a problem. Also when I try to use the electric start it just clicks. Thanks for any help
grizld1

PostPosted: January 5, 2006, 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: no spark to both plugs

Is the severed wire at the solenoid the starter motor cable? Disconnecting it wouldn't impact operation of your ignition. You have power to the coil but not necessarily out of it. It should have no less than 3 ohms across the primaries. Plug wires/caps, pickup coil, TCI unit, and all the connections that hook 'em up are also possibilities. A manual will give you basic trouble shooting guidance.

PostPosted: January 5, 2006, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark to both plugs

The wire coming off of the solenoid is from the positive side. Ir's not severed it just has a black boot around it that is disconected from something. The wire coming off of the starter is a black negative wire and it is conected to the solenoid.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 5, 2006, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark to both plugs

You really need a wiring diagram. You can get the Factory manuals online at biker.net

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 5, 2006, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark to both plugs

Dumb question but have you checked the run/stop switch on the right hand grip and did you pull in the clutch lever? How do you know you have no spark if the starter doesn't turn over- did you get a friend to hold the plug wire while you kicked over the bike? I have a 79 with points but it seems every year they put more safety switches and relays to keep you from hurting yourself.
Photo Gallery
xs650mike

PostPosted: January 5, 2006, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: no spark to both plugs

Once you've checked the run/stop switch check all your grounds.

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery
williams

PostPosted: January 6, 2006, 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: no spark to both plugs

I've checked the run stop switch it's always in the run position and the starter won't even make a clicking sound if it's not in the run position. I pulled each plug out and had my friend look for a spark. We did this at night and I've done it before on other bikes. I was kicking the bike instead of using the starter because it didn't work. I didn't get any spark at all from either plug. We tested the power all the way up to the coil and it was getting power. I wondering if the coil is bad. Also does anyone know what that wire could go to that is disconected, and is attached to the positive side of the solenoid. It's not the battery cable its some other wire that is short and has a black boot on it.
grizld1

PostPosted: January 6, 2006, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: no spark to both plugs

If the kill switch were defective there would be no power to the coils, so that ain't it. One side of the solenoid connects to the positive terminal of the battery with a heavy cable. The other side of the solenoid connects to the starter motor. Both carry positive to the starter motor, which is grounded (the solenoid has a powered side and a switched side, no negative side; it's all positive here, we're optimists--gotta be to mess with old bikes). The cable from the battery to the solenoid should have a red wire splitting off at the battery end carrying power to the 20A main fuse. That's all that should be on the battery-to-solenoid cable and you shouldn't be getting power anywhere without that red wire hooked up. The solenoid is actuated by a red-and-white hot lead from the safety relay and a blue-and-white lead from the button. That's all that should be there. It's clear enough that those leads are hooked up since the solenoid clicks.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1