650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Fork tube cap removal

Fork tube cap removal
    Forum Index -> Frames
RCHER

PostPosted: December 11, 2005, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Fork tube cap removal

I have a 75 that I am trying to convert to a cafe racer. The bike will run, but I have a long way to go and the list keeps getting longer.

I am having trouble getting the fork caps off to tear down the forks and put in new seals and boots. They were buggered when I got them, but I can set a 17mm bolt in and grab that with a vice grip instead of a allen wrench. They are so tight, I can't budge them. Any suggestions? I can't fix the forks if I can't add oil. Besides they look like heck. I am using this frame cause I like the wheels! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PostPosted: December 12, 2005, 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fork tube cap removal

First off, be sure to clock those tubes to the clamps before removal. For a drive tool on that type of cap I use a 17 mm coupling nut. Just set it in the cap, grab it with a 17 mm socket on a breaker bar, and do the needful. If things are really nasty, raise the tubes in the clamps and torch 'em. Don't forget to block the engine; you don't want to have any load on the forks when you get to the end of the threads. If the breaker bar doesn't work with a reasonable cheater, try air impact. If you don't have that, a machine shop will pull 'em for a few bucks.

PostPosted: December 13, 2005, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork tube cap removal

I bent a bolt with a 17 mm head into an "L"-wrench and put a pipe on it. If all else fails, I have a set of '75 tubes I can let you have cheap (like for cost of postage!)
Photo Gallery
RCHER

PostPosted: December 14, 2005, 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fork tube cap removal

Thanks for the offer, I am gathering up some lapping compound as the caps are messed up also and other tools so I can tackle this thing in a couple of days. I will let you know how this thing comes out. I may have to take you up on that offer.

PostPosted: December 16, 2005, 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fork tube cap removal

Got em out, now we are on the way to getting them done! I found a 17mm hex 1/2 drive and used my electric impact. I pounded the caps with a hammer a few times to resize the opening and with a little heat, they came right out. Suprisingly, the torque wrench didn't do a thing. Thanks for the help. Parts should be here in a few days. Stick around, I am sure I will be asking more questions.

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1