650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Norton seat on an XS?

Norton seat on an XS?
    Forum Index -> Frames
DRoCk

PostPosted: November 7, 2005, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Norton seat on an XS?

While looking on Ebay, I found a Corbin Gunfighter seat for a Norton Commando. I love the look of that seat, a little cafe and a little muscle bike i guess. Anyway, has anyone got an idea about fitting it to the xs? Length, width etc? I know it wouldn't be a "just get it and try it out" kinda thing because that seat is pretty expensive.

Also, if that option isn't that great, what about taking either my original seat or a used seat to an apholstry shop and having them make me one similar to the Gunfighter seat?
Photo Gallery
xs650mike

PostPosted: November 7, 2005, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Norton seat on an XS?

Strange thing about the XS is that the tank is really short and the seat extends way forward of where most riders actually sit. IIRC the Commando tank is pretty long so I have a feeling that with that seat on an XS the rider would be sitting too far forward or else there would be a gap between the seat and the tank. Somebody out ther must know for sure.

There's a fellow down in Georgia named Mike Davis who has a 277 deg. rephased XS cafe bike with a Corbin seat which he talked Mike Corbin into making.

Hope this helps.

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: November 8, 2005, 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Norton seat on an XS?

The Corbin Gunfighter for the Norton is sleek and cool looking but the hump in the front section is for the main back bone upper tube and might cause some mounting issues on the XS and as Mike mentioned,the Norton has a longer wheelbase,so the seat will most likely have a farther back seating position then you'd prefer. Corbin does have seats that'll fit the XS but you'll most likely have to alter the new seat in order to conform to the XS seating platform. I'm using a Corbin for my project but can't tell which one though Rolling Eyes cuz then the surprize would'nt be as exciting,sorta like the Suzuki GS 450E tank,every Tom,Dick and Harry is mounting this tank.................Jack
DRoCk

PostPosted: November 8, 2005, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Norton seat on an XS?

Thanks for the info...the search continues then. Maybe I will go chopper style with the XS in a few years. I love the cafe style too, so ideally I should find another that is more of a basket case than my '82 for a cafe project. Then again there is my fathers old, neglected CB550 that I could probably have for free and cafe that bike.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1