650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Timing chain adjustment

Timing chain adjustment
    Forum Index -> Engine
Borris

PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 1:00 am    Post subject: Timing chain adjustment

The manual says to remove the spark plugs to adjust the timing chain. Can this be adjusted without removing the plugs? Normaly I wouldn't ask this cause removing the plugs is no big deal but, heres a little background.

I bought this xs650sj toward the end of July. Anyways, I got it home and pulled the left plug, pretty clean. Started plulling the right a realized whoever put it in cross threaded it. I was able to get it back in after a little cleaning. This leads me to another question. Has anybody here used a helicoil to correct this problem?
Jack

PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Timing chain adjustment

For best result in cam chain tension,adjust the chain while motor is running at idle and you want the plunger rod to have a slight in and out movement as to not over tighten the chain. As long as the spark plug washer seals,I would just lube the threads with some anti seize or heli coil it for a winter project..............Jack
Borris

PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing chain adjustment

Thanks for that info, I'll try that.
Jack

PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing chain adjustment

Borris...........if you do decide to heli coil,bring the cylinder in question to almost TDC on the exhaust stroke,then tap the new threads and when completed ,use compressed air to blow the aluminum chips out the exhaust system. Works every time and it saves pulling the heads off.......Jack
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing chain adjustment

Also fill the flutes of the tap and drill with grease to catch some of the chips. If you drill I would recommend not having the head at TDC.
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing chain adjustment

In spark plug heli coil sets,there are no drills as the tap has a build in cutter and you don't want to grease the tap cuz you want the chips to fall their natural course to prevent clogging the tap threads or damaging the new threads. Now if you needed the 2nd over size heli coil,then yes you might need the use of a drill and a drill press to refurbish the threads but not in this case based on my experience..............Jack
Phred

PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing chain adjustment

Instead of helicoils, I *MUCH* prefer solid inserts (Threadserts, etc.). I've had several helicoils "unwind" themselves when the bolt (or plug) was removed, which also tends to destroy the threads the helicoil screws into. Helicoils are an easier fix, and the solid inserts can usually be used if the coils get messed up.
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: October 5, 2005, 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Timing chain adjustment

Phred..........That's a great "Solid " point there Laughing As most of the kits in this area have the threaded inserts you're referring to but just follow the instructions with these to prevent backing out and use some loctite...........Jack
Borris

PostPosted: October 9, 2005, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing chain adjustment

Thanks for all the info guys! (sorry I havent responded earlier but I 've been busy)

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1