650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Clutch not dis-engaging

Clutch not dis-engaging
    Forum Index -> Drive
grogerso

PostPosted: September 28, 2005, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Clutch not dis-engaging

I just bought an '83 650XS SH. I am going to try to restore it, so I may have lot's of questions. One of the first things I attempted was to replace the Oil Seal for the clutch push rod. I pulled the rod replaced the seal and thought I put the rod back in right. I did take the lever mechanism apart, clean and grease it, in addition to pulling the clutch cable and oiling it.I used the instructions here to adjust it. But the clutch doesn't dis-engage fully. It's enough to drop it into gear but then the engine dies because it's only idling. I'm pretty sure I put the rod in in the same direction. Machined end away from the clutch. The Clymer manual is pretty useless here. For instance it shows a ball bearing on the clutch end, but doesn't show one on the lever (case cover) end. And it doesn't really show which end is machined. I tried using the adjusting screw, tightened all the way down to force dis-engagement, to no effect. So here are my questions:

Which end of the push rod goes into the transmission, machined or straight?

Is there a ball bearing on the clutch side? Could I have lost it?

Is there a trick to seating the push rod?

Is there something obvious I'm missing? Have I really messed something up?
grizld1

PostPosted: September 28, 2005, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch not dis-engaging

You put the rod in correctly, big end first. There should be a ballbearing on the clutch end which usually doesn't come out with the rod, but a small telescoping mechanic's magnet can be used to check if the ball is there; just grease it and ease it in past the seal. There should also be a ball bearing visible inside the clutch wormgear assembly on the case side, where the smaller end of the pushrod seats. It's a straightforward assembly, no tricks to seating the rod.

PostPosted: September 29, 2005, 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch not dis-engaging

Thanks, but it wasn't even the clutch. The '83 had a side stand switch. Which I had removed when I found it hanging there with bailing wire. I figured if the bike started without it I was fine. Nope, without the switch the bike stops when you put it in gear. So I also removed the relay and that gave me the desired results.

It sure rides nicer with a trued front wheel and a lubricated clutch cable. I also cleaned the brake fluid reserviour and flushed the brake line. Put the in tank filter back on the petcock. Cleaned and lubricated the petcock. Replcaed the oil in the forks and used the adjuster to add pressure. Adjusted the chain.

I still have a ton of work to do, but, damn I'm having fun.

Thanks again,
xs650mike

PostPosted: October 3, 2005, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch not dis-engaging

Congratulations on owning a Heritage Special! I suppose you've discovered this already since you've got you're bike up and running but...the book's recommendation for backing the clutch adjustment screw out 1/4 turn will generally leave the clutch dragging. The correct amount of slack is usually around 1/8 turn, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries to find the sweet spot where it neither drags nor slips. www.mikesxs.com has a one-piece clutch pushrod that's supposed to reduce wear on the pushrod seal.

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery
Borris

PostPosted: October 3, 2005, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch not dis-engaging

??? An 1/8th turn? HMMMM. Could this be why the clutch on my Herritage 650 sometimes slips at 5000 rpm?
xs650mike

PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch not dis-engaging

Assuming your clutch is ok sounds like you need just a tad more slack on the clutch pushrod or at the control lever.

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery
Borris

PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch not dis-engaging

Thanks, I'll tinker with it and see what happens.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1