650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > My first motorcycle project

My first motorcycle project
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
WillieWayback

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 7:28 pm    Post subject: My first motorcycle project

I realized I was still posting in the welcome area, and needed to leave that alone.

Just got this bike Friday from a good friend of mine. After hearing from a few of you guys I decided to take this bike all the way down to the frame and start over.

As of now, I removed the tank, seat, battery and most of the wiring, headlight, exhaust pipes, rear footpegs (useless on this bike), brake pedal, clutch and grip off the left side and my right pinky nail.

I can't believe how much fun this is.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me so far, and to those who my completely novice-self will be asking questions as I get deeper into this thing.

Here's some pics and the progress.

Peace,
S

all together 5-19resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filename:  all together 5-19resize.jpg
 Filesize:  82.05 KB
 Downloaded:  650 Time(s)

closemotor5-19resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filename:  closemotor5-19resize.jpg
 Filesize:  101.16 KB
 Downloaded:  599 Time(s)

frame5-202.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.53 KB
 Viewed:  5336 Time(s)

frame5-202.jpg

ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My first motorcycle project

Like I said in your other post...sweet bike with serious potential. Those pipes are cool....drag pipes! I don't much care for the foot control setup. TC Bros is selling some decent looking forward controls for like 150 on ebay. Just throwing some ideas around though.

What did you pay for it? I think you are going to have some serious fun when you get that thing roadworthy. Shoot...If I was you I'd take a wire wheel to the rusty spots, scuff r down and shoot her black all over again. You really oughta enter into the build-off man. I think we only have one or two chopper entries as many guys around here seem to have a cafe race bug lately.

Are you planning for a engine rebuild? Or are you just gonna see how she rolls the way it is? Anyways man...good luck
Photo Gallery
WillieWayback

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My first motorcycle project

I bought it off my buddy for $500. When he bought it the thing ran fine, like I said before, though, he wanted turn signals and started messing with the electrics.

I think what you said is exactly what I am going to do with the frame. buff all the rusted spots, remove any extra junk, and paint it black again.

The wiring that I took off, after getting your response the other day, was overly complicated and a mess.

The footpegs are way to far forward and I don't like the way they look, either. In order to shift, I would have to take my foot off the pedal and reach back.

I'm going to replace them, and maybe look for an extended shifter.

My main focus for now is the frame, then I'll probably set into the axles and wheels/brakes. With some of the half-assed stuff I've found so far on this, I'm not riding it until I'm sure everything is in proper working order.

The tank has some rust in it, and I'll need new forward controls blah blah blah.

Lots to do, but I'm just gonna take my time, pop a cold one and enjoy myself.

Thanks for the input and the info. I'll keep updating with pics and progress, and no doubt I will annoy the hell outta everyone with questions.

peace,
S
WillieWayback

PostPosted: August 12, 2007, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My first motorcycle project

It's been a while since I updated this, but I'm back on track now. Two months of rain made working out in my garage kind of a pain, not to mention the space was filled with another bike.

Well, after housing my friend's Buell Firebolt for two months while he was in Costa Rica, I finally had enough room to get this thing on the jack with his help.

We had to lift it onto the jack since the frame sits pretty low.

I removed the front axle and wheel and the handlebars.

Next up, the motor and rear wheel so I can strip and paint the frame.

Then, putting it all back together.

I will update more as I get things done and have questions for you good people.

cheers,

Scott

onjack2.jpg
 Description:
On the jack, front wheel removed and handlebars off. Next, the forks, motor and rear wheel.
 Filename:  onjack2.jpg
 Filesize:  103.56 KB
 Downloaded:  410 Time(s)
stevied58

PostPosted: August 26, 2007, 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: My first motorcycle project

nice start...waiting to see the finish project..keep us posted
P.C. ......A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Photo Gallery
WillieWayback

PostPosted: August 31, 2007, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My first motorcycle project

Hot and raining all the time. Man, it's been hard to get anything done lately. Soon, very soon....
Bobman

PostPosted: September 1, 2007, 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: My first motorcycle project

Yo Willy, dumn question but is any of the stock electrical still intact and gonna be used? If so, Mike's has replacement harnesses for under $100 and that may save you some heartache. I made the mistake of messing with the electrical connections on my 81' and although she's running and everything is working there's a short in the tailight somewhere and my neutral light is always on. Come the off season, she's getting a new harness and a backrub.
The bike looks sweet, especially for a vertically challenged little bugger like me. Good luck and enjoy.

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1