650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > 16" rim for the front?

16" rim for the front?
    Forum Index -> Drive
Tomterrific

PostPosted: September 15, 2005, 8:30 am    Post subject: 16" rim for the front?

I've a curious question, is it possible to install a 16" rim from the back of a special model on the front forks? My thinking is a 16"er on each end.

Tom Graham '77D
grizld1

PostPosted: September 15, 2005, 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 16" rim for the front?

Two issues come to mind, Tom. The first is spoke angle. I've redrilled the nipple seats in XS650 18" rear rims a couple of times to fit the front hub, and that involved moving quite a bit of material to get the angle needed. If there's enough stuff there to give you the angle you'll need, Buchanan can make your spokes pretty reasonably. The other issue is handling. A high-aspect 16" might produce some very interesting results, actually; but it'd be a bit of a crapshoot. (Of course you'll want to check out tires before you even think about the rest and make sure there's something out there that fits your idea and your fork spacing!)

PostPosted: September 15, 2005, 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 16" rim for the front?

I was thinking about the 16" cast wheels. I guess it would be easier to start on a bike with a rear disk brake. My thought is the 16" cast wheel may fit the front forks and the brake rotor might fit as well without too much trouble. A unique custom look with two 16" tires. Good for a bobber.

Tom
grizld1

PostPosted: September 15, 2005, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 16" rim for the front?

You're going to have issues with that involving axle diameter, width of hub, speedometer drive, custom spacers, caliper mounting, etc. I don't recall offhand if the rear rotor is the same diameter as the front (if memory serves it's smaller) or if bolt spacing is compatible (if memory serves it's not). The rear disk is a weaker unit than the rear drum, altogether a poor setup IMHO, and the cast wheels pork on a lot of unsprung weight (the worst kind). In any case it's not a bolt-on job, and probably a lot more hassle and expense than fitting a Heritage Special front hub with a Heritage Special 16" rear rim if there's enough meat there for angling the nipple seats, which would look truly trick on a vintage bobber. Anything is possible, of course, if you're a machinist or don't mind taking out a second mortgage to pay your favorite lathe-spinner!

One more fitment issue just came to mind in regard to either setup; you need to make sure the caliper will clear the smaller rim.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1