650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > 750 triple front end

750 triple front end
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
royfisk

PostPosted: August 4, 2006, 11:16 am    Post subject: 750 triple front end

Does anyone know if the 750 tripple front- leading axle front end will fit the 650 trees? Also would cartridges from a 650 fit these forks? springs? I have aquired a 750 street tracker and the front end is very interesting to me, but would like to know if anyone has tried it. The bike is real cool looking but I went for a scarry ride on one of these bikes years ago and dont like them. I was around 90 miles an hour and could not keep the bike down in a corner no matter what I did, wound up up on the shoulder and no way out. I did not crash but do not ride tripples anylonger. But the parts will work, hopefully.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 4, 2006, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

Well I guess it will not fit the 77 up trees seeing its 36mm. Did yamaha make a 750 twin?? mayby between 73 and 77? Ive had 3 people call me and claim to have them. LOOKING FOR PARTS. If so does anyone have any experiance with them? How come there not more popular?
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 4, 2006, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

There was a twin cam 750 which was not very popular. It was kind of ugly and I think there were issues with pourous castings as I remember. I've seen photos of 650's with XS850 front ends grafted on. Shouldn't be that difficult I would imagine, especially if you use the 850 wheel and axle.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 5, 2006, 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

The 78 wheel itself is the same in demensions as the 650, that was the first thing I checked out because I dont want the mag, I want a laced wheel. Bearings may be different. But you say there was a 750 twin! I need to find one for photos. Thanks
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 5, 2006, 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

The TX750. Search Ebay item #270015050208. It wasn't very popular in it's day. It appears to be a SOHC not DOHC design so my memory is fading.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 5, 2006, 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

Thanks for the info I just put a bid in on the bike heck farmington is close enough, I guess I need to know more about these.
sportydriver

PostPosted: August 6, 2006, 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

If you have access to a lathe and a hydraulic press it is very easy to take the stem out of a xs650 tree and graft it into a xs750 tree. This gives you 36 mm forks and the ability to use the smaller diameter brake rotors. You can sometimes get lucky and find the whole assy for bid on ebay.

When installing the xs650 stem into the xs750 lower clamp do the following to make sure everything is lined up correctly:
1, press the stem into the lower clamp
2. put the clamps on your forks upside down (so that the clamp with the stem is at the top end of the forks) and snug the clamp bolts.
3. install the axle between the forks
4. weld (I used a tig welder at work) the stem to the lower clamp
royfisk

PostPosted: August 6, 2006, 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

Thanks sportydriver, that sounds like good advice. I was wondering if the stem was the same or not.
5twins

PostPosted: August 7, 2006, 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 10, 2009, 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
royfisk

PostPosted: August 7, 2006, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

Now thats what I needed to know, anyone have a tx tripple tree? swingarm, rear wheel?
Coose

PostPosted: October 2, 2006, 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

I'm in the process of fitting XS750 triple forks to my XS-2, with a spoked TZ350 front wheel. The yokes have fitted straight in using the 650 bearings, and the TZ wheel looks to fit also - just need to get some spacers made (luckily a friend has a lathe....).

The only thing I'm going to have to modify is the discs - I need to skim 1mm from the rear mounting face of each disc so that they don't rub on the caliper brackets. There's lots of meat on them so no real problem there!

I've also got a TZ350 rear wheel with the XS750 rear disc to fit at some point - I'll let you know how I get on!
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: October 2, 2006, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

I finally purchased a tx trippletree, waiting for fedex to deliver it hopefully the top tripple tree from the xs-750 will fit tne tx750 tree. I would then be stylying. useing the xs-650 front wheel and the xs-750 rotors and forks. the rear swing arm and tx 750 wheel is already a go. I still dont know if I can get emulators that will work yet, hopefully. I found springs from progressive, I would still like to link the legs I havent tried yet but am counting on useing the 650 over the fender fork brace. 14.5 shocks have not been purchased yet either. But with all measurements Ive taken the xs750 forks will add roughly a 1,5 inche lift to the front of the bike thats why I opted for the 14.5 shocks to offset the front lift. The bike isd to look like a stock on off road bike of the early - mid 70s anyhow so a little lift wont hurt there. Actually much appreaciated. Think it will be real cool. I also purchased my mandrel bends to make up my exhaust which will be simular to hondas old cb 350 high pipe except I will use shorty mufflers and hondas grille guards. Should appear to be a bike built by the manufacturer, and almost all yamaha parts.
sportydriver

PostPosted: August 9, 2007, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

Hey Roy,
Did the triple trees from the TX and XS match up?
royfisk

PostPosted: August 10, 2007, 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

No. Its the same as the xs. I wound up removeing the post from a 650 and then removeing the post from the xs 750 and installing the 650 post onto the 750 tripple trees. Not to bad of a process. All the 750 hardware works well. Only draw back to this is if you turn the forks all the way one way or the other you will contact the gas tank. I had to sapce the headlight ears about 3/4" on the fork tubes because of the longer steering post. again common sense and not to difficult. Oh waait a minute you wanted to know if the tx forks matched yes they did. But after the xs 750 conversion, I would highly recomend this it is the best forking I have tried on these bikes. I plan to upgrade the springs and install emulators at some point, but the stock fork setup for the 750 is adequate as is. much improved over the 35mm stock jobs. Alsp I really like the brakeing the 750 uses smaller dual rotors and really work good. I used the tx 750 rear wheel for more rear brakeing but quickly went back to the stock 650 wheel. again like the disc rear wheel I was experianceing premature brake lock up. I think I will stay with the stock rear drum brakes. I do like the tx 750 swing arm I beleive it is more ridgid for sure.
royfisk

PostPosted: August 10, 2007, 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 750 triple front end

Going over the posts here 5twins said that the xs 750 will swap out to the tx 750 trees, In theory it will because both forks are 36mm but theres a problam they are not spced the same. Anyone wanting to see photos let me know.

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1