650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Barn finds how much?

Barn finds how much?
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Rickrod

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Barn finds how much?

Whats reasonable to pay for a barn find?
No papers
80 percent complete
non stock
looks like P.O.'s did some hacking.

What do you guy's think?

rick
BSABarb

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

Does the engine turn over? 80% means 20% gone--I'd not pay much, maybe a couple hundred dollars, depending on whether I needed parts for another bike or not....

If the parts you need are there, it would be worth it, though. It doesn't take many bits to add up to a couple hundred dollars...

y .2c..........

Barb

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

I concur with Barb.
gordonscott

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

I feel the same as them Wink Need parts? Or build somthing out of it? Basic old “rule of thumb” is $1.00usd per cc if it runs and price goes up according to condition after that, so a running xs650 would be $650 and so on. Of course this is just basic and not suggesting a good condition xs650 would sell at that price. Not running? Does it turn over? Compression? Rusty? Title? And most important what do you want to pay? Start real low, all he/she can say is no Smile
Rick_in_PDX

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

the sum of its parts is most always worth more than its whole..
Some people will say that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this,,,,, Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube,That is why God made fast motorcycles—Hunter S
gggGary

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

Recent XS650 deals and steals
Bought 78 supposed 750 kit?? $250, no title 100% complete, decent

Bought 81 Special II (possible) title, 100% complete, decent shape $150

issed 3 XS650 variously incomplete but mostly there ALL 3 for $150

On the other hand a local has an extended fork titled XS650 rusting away in his back yard, he wants $800.00 but just leaves it out there to continue to fall apart.
Srinath

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

Rick_in_PDX wrote:
the sum of its parts is most always worth more than its whole..

I dont really agree wiht this.
I know GS500's really really well.
They have somehting like 57-58 components and assemblies (carb is 1 engine is 1, starter is 1, etc cos no one splits an engine into bits and pieces, that is a good way to make it worthless) ... and of those less than 10 will sell in the first month.
Engine 2-300, carbs, 100 or so, dash, 100 or so, fork legs, 50 or so, tank if un rusted 100 or so. Seat, side covers, headlight, switches, harness etc all may get you 100.
The entire rest, like rear shock, rear wheel, swingarm etc etc, you cannot give away. if you get 6-700 from a nice looking un rusted, running GS500 in parts, you are doing great.
A similar GS500 will get you 1300 minimum. I sold a nice 33K miler for 1200 recently, it sold in under a week and it was very nice for 33K miles but well, its going to have to be rebuilt at 45-50 ... they never last longer anyway.

How many people want stock xs parts ... half of the bike ends up in the trash if you ask me, and that is just from the specials. The earlier ones have a value, but again as a complete bike.

Value of a barn find is dependent on the state the barn is in.

Some states, like GA, they dont care they'd title anything that old with a bill of sale.

Some others like NC will kill you and toss you in jail ... yes they will do both. TX also I have heard is near impossible to get a title for a bike wihtout a title.

Cool.
Srinath.
Rick_in_PDX

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

Must be a pacific northwest thing........... of my stockers I am chopping and the parts I have sold or traded my chopps are free.

The sum of its whole rule does not apply to every bike but here with the xs bikes it seems to.

Paperwork here can take up to 3yrs during that time you can still ride

Some people will say that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this,,,,, Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube,That is why God made fast motorcycles—Hunter S
gggGary

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

Titles are near impossible to get here in Wisconsin also. Not to mention the fees are now nearing $80.00
BSABarb

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

Hi Guys,

Not totally on-topic, but as long as we are talking titles---in the State of Washington (bless it's pointy little head), if you take an untitled bike in and let the State Patrol run the numbers (and assuming it doesn't comeback stolen), they will issue a provisional title. You can license the bike, and sell it, but for three years, if someone presents a valid title, the bike goes back to the original owner.

I've done several bikes like that, and even had to get a State Registration plate stamped on a Norton once. The whole frame number plate up on the headstock was missing!

So they gave me a "WA-xxxxxxetc." number and issued my provisional title.

Pretty easy compared to some, I guess. Sounds like Oregon is fairly straightforward, too.

It's 17F outside and my computer is at the end of the house opposite the wood heater. Brilliant, huh? Signing out with chilly fingers,

Barb

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

That really is on topic, as the ability to get a title really affects the price of barn finds. My local market put s the value of an XS650 title at about 300.00 give or take a 100.00 We do have a "no title" process but it's not well known and involves a surity bond or some such.
Rick_in_PDX

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

well said Barb, ~I am in Clark county~ Dunno abt oregon but I am told its the same ~SHRUGS~
paperwork cost is an important factor in buying or selling a barn find example:
my ducati 750 bike cost me 500. I spent another 500 getting paperwork is it worth 1000?..... heads,cams,alone are worth that, not counting the boranni wheels and alum tank and side covers is an old 650 worth a 750 gt ducati?.... not so much but a complete bike with paperwork is worth 1000 IMO, getting one running and enjoying it is priceless

If you have never tackled a barn find that can become a priceless wealth of bike re-building experience.

And its 20 something out here right now~

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

Here I bought my 77 running and rode it home. Good title . It had some issues and still does but I only paid $550. Here if no title I consider them parts bikes. I always see people writing in their ads," No title- can get one easy from blah blah title company for $XX ." If it is so easy why didn't they get it? I won't buy one without a title unless it's for parts. I assume I can't get a title. Couple of hundred bucks at the most for something like the bike on the right in the picture above with a tank. Sure the parts are worth some money but it's a pain in the ass breaking them down and selling them. I don't want to do it.

As I brought mine home.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
BSABarb

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

Well, Pumps,

You got that bike--that beautiful 77"D"--for $550.00? Y'know what? I used to like you...... Mad Mad

(Just kidding, of course--it's a beautiful bike, especially for the price!) I, on the other hand, paid $1295.00 for mine, but that was in February of 1978 from a Yamaha dealer.....

Barb

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

It wasn't perfect. Smashed tach, beat up headlight bucket and ears other stuff too. But it is very slowly coming along. Not nearly as fast as some of the boys here have completed their projects.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Stonecold2491

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

Looks good now Pumps. As for titles I am thankful Tennessee is an easy place to get papers on an older bike. My XS2 was a no title garage find that had been parked for 25 or so years and I was given it by my employer who is in the auto parts biz. He had taken it on some type of trade back in about 75 and never registered it and also had lost the title. In the meantime the original owner had died in 1989 . The DMV here only required that I sign an affidavit that the bike had been sitting unclaimed all these years and within 3 weeks I had a legit title.
blackwidow

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

pumps wrote:
Here I bought my 77 running and rode it home. Good title . It had some issues and still does but I only paid $550. Here if no title I consider them parts bikes. I always see people writing in their ads," No title- can get one easy from blah blah title company for $XX ." If it is so easy why didn't they get it? I won't buy one without a title unless it's for parts. I assume I can't get a title. Couple of hundred bucks at the most for something like the bike on the right in the picture above with a tank. Sure the parts are worth some money but it's a pain in the ass breaking them down and selling them. I don't want to do it.

As I brought mine home.
I bought my 80 for 550 and my 77 for 500 I wouldn't pay too much for a bike with no title unless I did some research to see if I could title it or I needed parts and it would be worth it to buy.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn finds how much?

Right on brother. I like your thriftiness!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1