650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > crazy blinker

crazy blinker
    Forum Index -> Electrical
yankabilly

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 1:31 pm    Post subject: crazy blinker

i just replaced the stock fuse panel on my stock 1980 650xs g,and now as soon as i hook my battery up the left bllinker comes on ,it blinks normally with no signs of stopping,but when i switch it to the right it does not blink at all but the blinker relay goes crazy (clicking like mad, real fast)i replaced the fuse panel because it was junk,i wasn't getting any juice any where accept at the tail light ( but not the brake light) and now i get power to the brake light and not the tail light,also the headlight don't work either.could it be that i did not make good enough connections at the new fuse panel? thanks alot guys.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

sounds like you've got some wires crossed
yankabilly

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

i was really patient, doing one wire at a time ,i have been trying to get this thing running for over a year now so i will go back and re-do it again....i am stoked that it even started so i am not going to trip out on a few gremlins yet .thanks for the in put.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

yank, the headlite does'nt come on until it's running. It get's a signal from the alternater via the yellow wire. that goe's to the headlite relay. If you do not already have one, I suggest a manual. My Clymer's work's pretty good, although some part's of it take a little time to decipher. The wiring diagram's in the back are laid out mainly for wire color's.They all lead to the correct part's, but not as laid out on the bike.
yankabilly

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

i did get it running and road around my yard and barn enough to go through several gears but the headlight never did come on .i do have clymer so i guess i'll dive back in and debug it the best i can,i'm sure i will be back to ask for your help again soon,i do want to ride a little before it gets to cold here in east tennessee.also do you think an average guy with a clymer in hand can rebuild and sync the carbs on a 650xs?thanks again,you all are very much appreciated.

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

An average guy, Clymer in hand and the help of this forum will get you through just about anything with these bikes, and other things as well, Ha!
yankabilly

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

i was hoping to hear that,is it easy to put photos up in a post in case i need to show pics of any progress, or lack of more likely,that i make ?also in a carb rebuild is it ever ok to reuse the same parts that came out ,like jets, springs or o-rings.i guess i want to know if i can take it apart ,and clean it real good ,and put it back together with decent results? and what type of cleaning solvent do i use on the carbs.i guess i will let these rookie questions sink in for a bit ,gotta git to work,thanks again everyone talk at ya soon.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

On these bikes, with a manual you can do most things. With the help of the members of this forum , I believe I can do ANYTHING on this bike.
About posting photos, they are somewhat size limited if you upload them here. If you get a free photobucket account, you can upload your pictures there so they host them and just post links to the here. Works pretty cool. If you need help just ask .
If you need a copy of that wiring diagram, send me a PM with your email.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

Hard part's are reusable, like jet's, float's, needle& seat,ect. Rubber parts like 'o' ring's should be replaced. However, the rubber diaphram's & slide's are hard part's. Those only get replaced if they are bad, hole's in them, swelled beyond reinstall,ect. Most people do replace the needle & seat's on a teardown because the 'seat' on the needle does wear.I have used my bowl gasket's everytime I pulled them apart. I only replaced them once, on the initial rebuild after I got the bike. I could have used the old gasket's, but had the new one's in the kit's I got from Mike's. The 'o'ring's on the needle/seat are available at a local part's store like Napa or Advance, Auto Zone.
BigGeorge

PostPosted: November 7, 2009, 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

Yank, I use Berryman Chem Dip carb cleaner available at most auto parts stores. It comes in a 1 gal can with dip basket. You must be sure to remove any rubber or plastic parts before using this product or they will be dissolved. My 79xs had not been run in over 20 years and had the most rotten smelling gas in it when I bought it. The gas in the carbs had solidified and I had to soak them for 3 days to remove the crud but they came out looking like new carbs..............BG
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 7, 2009, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

Another member had posted something about using a soda blaster on his carb's, and they came out great. However, they are not cheap, found a couple at Harbor Freight, less then a $100, but small.
The Chemdip is very caustic, will eat the skin off your body, and stink's to hi heaven. But it does a good job. And rinses off with water.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 7, 2009, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

gordo , doesn't a soda blaster require a fairly large compressor?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 7, 2009, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

I think the small one's would be alright with a 5-10 gallon compressor. Just doing the carb's, so. But yes, they do require a larger volume of air, just like a sandblaster. That's why I debated between that and the old Chem Dip I had. Didn't use either, just some good old fashioned elbow grease, and allot of patience. Along with various wire brushes, thin wire's,(guitar string's that I read here from XS John), and got them pretty clean. They are far from looking like new, but the inside is really clean and that's what count's.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

My compressor is a Craftsman 15 gallon that is capable of 4.9 cfm @40 psi , or 3.5 cfm @ 90..Don't think it's enough according to this info on their site unless it's dialed down it looks like. How well would it work I wonder at say 50?
"35-90 PSI operating pressure; 12.5 CFM @ 90 PSI air consumption"
www.harborfreight.com/...mber=65902

I see the 15 lb one uses a bit less and is the same price.
www.harborfreight.com/...mber=66742

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

Wast of money buying one of those from harbor freight. Buy a 40 ltr 2.5 hp compressor for a few dollars more and get more uses out of it

Here is a link to how to make a soda blaster in the Forums: "How To"
www.650rider.com/index...1790#71790

Scroll down the page
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

I did see that how to make a soda blaster thing and it is cool if it works as stated. Currently I only use my compressor to air tires and use the blow gun to blow out computers I work on. Pretty light duty stuff. I have a neighbor who has a larger one in his man cave I can use though . His detached garage is almost as big as the house. 200 amp electical service and central heat and cool! Nice bike lift table too.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: crazy blinker

Pumps, that will work pretty good. The one's from H.F. are pressureized that forces the soda out of the reservior. You could use your compressor, just allow some time for it to 'catch up'. You'll drain it pretty quickly, but you'll get work done. A window fan to help cool the compressor would help.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1