650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > only one worn rocker

only one worn rocker
    Forum Index -> Engine
iridius

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 7:13 pm    Post subject: only one worn rocker

The engine of my old 650 started making a knocking sound from the upper right side. I took the top end off and figured out that cause of the sound was a slightly worn cam lobe and a very badly worn valve rocker. The only wear I saw was on the lobe and rocker for the right exhaust valve. All the other 3 rockers and cam lobes looked perfect. All four valves and look the same and all the oil passages were clean. The pivot for the right side exhaust valve rocker was smooth as the other three.
So my question is this: What caused just one cam lobe and rocker to wear so badly? Any ideas on what would just one rocker to wear?
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: only one worn rocker

Could check oil pump..........set side clearance to .002 thousands ........there is a recent post of mine on that subject......check oil passage to that side from the oil riser tube .......and the right cylinder runs a bunch hotter than the left .........at some point something has to give..........I would think the right exhaust area is the highest temp location on the engine.......what year bike........

Use an oil that is high in zink...........the only two I know of since the reduced the Zink in oils is Rotella Diesel 15/40 (or a diesel oil) and Valvoline VR1....20/50........I use one quart of each............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
iridius

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: only one worn rocker

Thanks for these suggestions. The engine is a 1975. About 2000 miles ago, I had the cylinders bored 1st over and I replaced the pistons and rings to match. The oil supply tube is open in both sides. I will check the oil pump and try to locate the oil you suggest.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1