650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > cam chain - no adjustment?

cam chain - no adjustment?
    Forum Index -> Engine
suiteo

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 10:37 am    Post subject: cam chain - no adjustment?

Well, the saga continues. Every time I think I'm getting close to that elusive ride that I've been wanting to take, something else rears it's ugly head. Price paid for riding a vintage bike I guess. So I finally get the carbs rebuilt, and the bike runs really well compared to when I first bought it, and was going to check cam chain and adjust the valves prior to going on a nice long ride this weekend, and lo and behold, it doesn't matter how tight or loose I have the adjuster, there is NO movement from the plunger inside the adjuster. So I'm assuming the chain adjuster is shot. NOT what I was wanting to deal with right now but what do you do?

At any rate, after reading on this site, I'm seeing I have to tear into the motor to change the adjuster. Mad So, since I have to do that, is there a list of parts, or a write-up somewhere on things to replace "since I'm going to be in there anyway"? Keep in mind, I have NEVER torn into a motor before and would trust myself as much as I would trust a 7 year old to do my engine work, but I'd like to do it myself. Can't afford a mechanic, or anything else for that matter! Very Happy That's why I went this route instead of buying some fancy HD or whatever. Opinions on parts to replace, and possible needed tools would be greatly appreciated. Bike has unknown mileage and unknown history. Riding season is upon me, and I'm still parked. Sorry for the long post. I tend to be a bit long winded getting the info out.

Jay

"Stuffing feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain - no adjustment?

Quote::
it doesn't matter how tight or loose I have the adjuster, there is NO movement from the plunger inside the adjuster
That is strange.
Quote::
I'm seeing I have to tear into the motor to change the adjuster
The adjuster can be screwed right out of the eingine. I think you have to get inside to change the gide, I am not sure though. Might try removing plate that the adjuster goes in 1st and see what is going on. I can't imagine why the plunger woulnt show some movement unless ther is no spring on it. When the adjustment is screwed in the spring is compressed so as you loosen the adjuster the plunger should be recesed in the adjuster.

Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain - no adjustment?

All the screw adjustment does is compress a spring. The center rod does not move, it is being pushed by the spring against the guide providing tension. You can unscrew the whole deal and see what is going on. Of course the dreaded black chunks in the filter is the sign of a bad guide.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
suiteo

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: cam chain - no adjustment?

Sorry, should have been more clear. I have found the dreaded black chunks in the oil, so what I should have said is I have to tear into the motor to change out the cam chain guide. Just wondering what else would be a good idea to change out since I'm already going to be in the motor.

Jay

"Stuffing feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1