650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Spokes....lots of spokes!

Spokes....lots of spokes!
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Barbara

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Spokes....lots of spokes!

Hi Guys,

So I previously mentioned the problem with the spokes on the rear wheel of the '77D with the sidecar. My local friendly Yamaha dealer quoted me $67.00 for a set of spokes--they don't sell individual ones--and they "aren't available right now anyway".

I guess I can find an old rim and hub, and just salvage spokes, but it would seem that this would be a good time, since I have to take the tire off anyway, to lace up heavy-duty spokes, if such a thing exists.

Anyone know about this? (I know I can go to the '79 cast wheel, but I'd have to convert the swing-arm and hydraulic disc...and I like spokes. They just don't like sidecars..)

All of this is, of course, my own silly fault. If I'd kept to my regimen of checking the spokes before each long ride, they would be fine, but I let it slide. My bad.

Anyway, does anyone know of nice, thick, heavy-duty spokes for an 18" rim?

Thanks, Guys!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

www.buchananspokes.net/ stainless pricy but check out the options
Srinath

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

I yanked some off a junkyard bike, only its a 21 wheel and I have been pulling a certain type of spoke, the almost straight ones for a kawi wheel.
But just got and get what fits yours. I do it all teh time.
I also would run an akront on my chopper, they are strong, but the steel ones you have may actually be better for a hack.
Cool.
Srinath.
gggGary

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

I thought there were some models with cast wheels and drums? For sure a cast wheel seems better suited to hack duty especially on the rear.
Barbara

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

I believe you are correct, Gary, but my '79 has a disc. Actually, I'd prefer the disc to handle the extra weight of a loaded sidecar anyway. Maybe this is just the Universe pushing me in the direction I want to go anyway..... Question

The quest continues...

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

Hi Barb, not that I've really a clue about 3 wheelers, but wouldn't a 16" rim be a better option? Shorter spokes would have to hold up better?
aybe even go for a Heritage 48 spoke rear.

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

Here you go Barb, manna from heaven (well if you want some extra spokes):

650rider.com/index.php...5722#75722

gggGary

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

OK. If you want it, I have a complete mag wheel disk brake set up from the brake pedal on back. I believe you need to weld one tab on the frame to hold the torque arm.
gordonscott

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

Hi Barb, You have a “77” with 18” wheel and drum brake, correct? Changing over to disk is not going to be easy. Frames are different because with disk you have a master cylinder mounted to the frame and its all different in that area of frame between the two so not easy like just a little welding, you got to do some surgery. I would suggest a “73” TX750 wheel, BIG drum brake, shorter spokes (very short) and is a direct swap. While your at it get the swing arm too, fatter then stock xs and you can feel the difference, again bolt on swap. The big drum was a lot of brake, you might be surprized Very Happy
gordonscott

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

O Barb, not to cut in on your thred but looky what I just bought, DL1000 vstrom with "on the fly" tilt adjustment with touch of a button Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Was built by Duantless motors.

suzukivstromuralslvrfrt3_2007.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.13 KB
 Viewed:  169 Time(s)

suzukivstromuralslvrfrt3_2007.jpg

suzukivstromuralslvrlowrt3_2007.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.07 KB
 Viewed:  140 Time(s)

suzukivstromuralslvrlowrt3_2007.jpg

Barbara

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

Oh, Man, that's beautiful! And adjustable for the crown and load as you are going down the road?? I WANT THAT!! (Only on my '77XS....) Very Happy

As to the continuing saga of Jaelith of the Broken Leg, I think I'm going to take the easy way out, and order a set of spokes from Mike's. They are half the cost of spokes at the local Yam shop, and I really don't have the money to get exotic with the rear end right now, since I have the R80 Beemer to also get on the road. Too many irons, too little fire.

So, $30.00 for spokes doesn't sound bad. I'll just have to remember to check them, and maybe set up the gauges and check the wheel every Spring. And if I do run across a 750 rear end or something, I'll just tuck it away until I need it....hey, it could happen..... Rolling Eyes

"Adjustable on the fly"....Man.....that's almost not fair at all. But wait! I can adjust on the fly--I just shift my body either left or right.... Laughing

Sure. I really believe that one.....(Seriously, it's a beauty of an outfit!)

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

Hi Barb, I like the vintage stuff better myself and really thought about spending the $$$ and building a XS rig that would fit my needs. But this vstrom rig is very practical for me Rolling Eyes The vstrom is a adventure on/off road bike with a 1000cc V-twin/100hp and weighs 456lbs so performance is great for sidecar use, ton’s of torque and should go good in the snow Very Happy Even my wife is excited to get it and go out this winter Very Happy The TX750 wheel is not that rare and shows up on ebay all the time, one just ended with no bids and only $10 starting bid! I have a TX swing arm that I paid $30 for, so could happen easy and you could just slap on wheel to stock xs swing arm and go if you wanted too. Roy Fisk has a Tx wheel I believe? The brakes on them are good, ask Roy he will tell ya Laughing Go with the spokes from Mike for now and collect goodies as you find them. Hope you get the old girl on her feet soon Wink p.s. pictures from advrider.com p.p.s Seen you and your rig on the Nederlands XS site I think it was? Looking good Barb Smile

moto in shop2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.75 KB
 Viewed:  129 Time(s)

moto in shop2.jpg

vstrom_rc_blue_mtn_bg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.25 KB
 Viewed:  237 Time(s)

vstrom_rc_blue_mtn_bg.jpg

25476991-m.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.94 KB
 Viewed:  138 Time(s)

25476991-m.jpg

weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 13, 2009, 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

If you do decide to go with the TX750 wheel, make sure it already has good spokes. New ones are hard to find. Buchanans wants considerable north of $100 to duplicate and you have to supply orginals for measurements. They don't have the specs(yet).
And yes the larger drum will stop you quick.

PostPosted: October 13, 2009, 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Spokes....lots of spokes!

Hi Guys,

I bet you guys have no idea.....I was sitting here, bummed out that I had to take the wheel off, and remove the tire, and mess with spokes, and dammit, I just wanted to ride into Fall in the Pacific Northwest, and I get to talking with you guys and all sorts of alternatives come up and everyone has some sort of experience with things I haven't even considered (750 gear, for example) and I get to see pictures of beautiful rigs for incentive to get riding again....well, it makes all the difference!

So instead of feeling sorry for myself and the bike, and being kind of slow to go out to the shed because it's kinda chilly, I feel all ready to go! By the time the spokes get here from Mike's, I'll have the tire off the rim, and the two broken spokes out, and I'll be chomping at the bit to get the new ones in and laced and balanced so I can ride!!

Thanks, Guys. It makes such a difference just having other people who share the mania---and know how to solve the problems... Very Happy

This is exactly why I hang around here so often....

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1