650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Aw crap... NOW what did i do??

Aw crap... NOW what did i do??
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Fuel
suiteo

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw crap... NOW what did i do??

xsjohn.

You sent the wire, but my clumsy butt dropped it and couldn't find it, nor did I really understand the modifiction. What guage of wire was it that you sent? I'll have to source another, and if you have a thread to look at as far as what I'm doing with that wire, it would be greatly appreciated. I called to have someone check to see if I left some rubber plugs in the driveway. Sure enough, they are there, so hopefully that solves the issue. I need to run and get some allens, because one of the top screws stripped out. Do you recall the size? And I believe the mix screws were the same, only with a silver finish vs. the brass. The screw heads are brass but the body is silver finished. Ordered from Mikes as well. Thanks again for your direction.

Jay

UPDATE: As luck would have it, I actually found the wire on the floor of my truck today. Now I just need to know what to do with it. Laughing

"Stuffing feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"

Last edited by suiteo on October 12, 2009, 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw crap... NOW what did i do??

Take one of the carb bowl screws to the hardware store for allen head size and then get enough to do the tin tops also. Same thread count, a few might be a tad longer.
nj1639

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw crap... NOW what did i do??

I chucked my wire into a small drill and just drilled the end hole out to fit. Carefull to not bend the wire. Probably more in the drill than out of it IIRC.
Srinath

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw crap... NOW what did i do??

xsjohn wrote:
Good way to clean the inside of the needle jets is to use the paper stick from a q-tip and carb cleaner.............that one needle jet looked crudded and they have to be clean inside and out and the tiny emuslion holes on the side of the needle jet........

And a hardwood dowel is good for tapping out the needle jets on the BS34.......

xsjohn

I use the whole Q-tip and if it loses its head, you can chase it with a paper clip sized wire.
Also the main jet and the float bowl bolts are the same thread. I screw in a longer version of that, and tap it with a screwdriver handle.
Cool.
Srinath.
suiteo

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw crap... NOW what did i do??

Ok. So, read the directions (imagine that) and drilled out the pilot jet with the wire included. Got the rubber plugs re-installed and it fired up on the second kick. Big difference now. Got on it a little while taking it for a ride and it surprised me a little. Didn't have that kind of throttle response before, and definitely has more pull through the full range. Might be running just a tad rich still, because if I crack the throttle while cruising with the clutch in, it will backfire and try to stall, but comes back to idle after that. Will toy with the mix screws a 1/4 turn at a time to try and reduce that. A word to the wise for newbies like my self. Follow the advice of the veterans and TAKE PICTURES before you disassemble the carbs. It would have saved me taking off the carbs twice. Now I just have to figure out what's wrong with the front tire. But that's for another day... Thanks to all who followed along and offered direction on getting this right. I wouldn't have got it done without your assistance.

Thanks,

Jay

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw crap... NOW what did i do??

(reading instructions...tee hee)....why does that remind me of me.... Laughing
Be careful with those 46 pilots.......once you get close just a tiny tweak will be all that is needed.....1/4 turns will be to much for fine tuning......read the rest of the instructions on setting the mix screws......... IE.....cruising along with light throttle and checking the plug color (after 10 mile warm up) ......after 2 or 3 miles the color will change to your new setting and then re-adjust...........soon you will be able to set the screws just by the way it runs.......cerebral and all..........they do have to be in the right place........and each side individually............

easy to set larger pilots too rich..............

bit of grease on the mix screw thread makes life easier....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw crap... NOW what did i do??

suiteo, sound's like your a good learner. Bet you won't forget those damm rubber plug's again. I did that & lost a valve trying to clear out the flooded fuel. The retainer broke on top of the valve. Not so bad as I was in the shop when it happened. The screw's for the carb top's & bowl's are of the 5mm varity, by 12 mm long.I got mine from bolt depot in Mass. Nice, stainless job's. Got 18 of them with flat washer's for around $20, with shipping. They are nice to work with, knowing that your not gonna strip the head off because of the age of them.Even with the allen head's I still take the carb's off to do any work to them. My eyesite isn't what it used to be. Got me one of those lighted magnifier's for doin' carb work.
Oh yea,the bolt depot was an ad run here a little while ago, ask Russo if he still has the info on them.Website address & such. Very Happy

Srinath

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw crap... NOW what did i do??

I have a stash of the stainless button head allen 5 mm X 12 in my jet box, same for GS and I run through a box of 300 in under 1 year.
Need some, send over $6 of which the PO eats 1.70 and the envelope 50c so I'll send you bolts.
Cool.
Srinath.
suiteo

PostPosted: October 13, 2009, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Aw crap... NOW what did i do??

Thanks for the offer Srinath. I went the quick and easy route and went the the Depot so I could get the carbs back in the bike quicker. Got the bead back on the front tire (yikes) and went out for a few miles last night. Definite improvement now over the way I bought the bike, and certainly after I got a hold of the carbs and thought I knew everything. Very Happy Enough of a power increase that I'm noticing some clutch slippage at WOT, which never happened before. Will have to make some adjustments there. Now I just need to rebuild those darn forks. Dangerous at night when I can't see those bumps real well in the dark. Made for a white knuckle ride last night for sure, and I need to find that filling that got jarred out of my mouth. Laughing Will be reading up on beefing up the front. Thanks again to all for your assistance.

Jay

Photo Gallery
Srinath

PostPosted: October 14, 2009, 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Aw crap... NOW what did i do??

Front ? suspension ? I am near about certian on an 82 I can get a katana6/7 FE to fit. I'd prolly even get the ignition lock to work if I could slap a kat one in it. Prolly, not sure, but 1/4 inch longer stem may be all the mod I'd need. But well, I am yet to get into the stem of the xs.

Anyway It should go well with my rear which would prolly have a GSXR 4.5 wheel. Cos my swingarm needs 20 mm axle.
Cool.
Srinath.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2