650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Wipe out

Wipe out
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Joseph

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 7:37 am    Post subject: Wipe out

I was coming off my block yeterday morning, I live on a dead end so every time I go out I make the same exact turn. The back tire spun and the bike went down the eingine was reving I cant tell if it was mee or something got stuck. It was no more damp then any other morning I cant figure out what happened. I do fianly have a battery that is 100% do you think this could have gave it a bit more juice than I am used to and spun it out? It was my 1st ride probably ever with a battery strong enough to use the elect start with no problem.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

Joseph, likely not. You may have hit a bit of oil or something. Also, when you were in your turn, were you on the front brake at all? In a low-speed turn, stay away from that front brake; it can force the steering to the inside and make you dump the bike. Instead, feather the rear brake and apply light throttle, which will make the bike want to stand up through the turn.

TC
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

I was at a stop sign when I started going on a right turn the bike went. I guess the back wheel broke loose spun and started sliding then when I was going down I think I had the trotle on because it was reving high. I cant realy peice together what happened but I think the is the best explanation. I wound up bike facing left in center of road, bike lying on right side,it spun me around 180 from my intended direction. My right knee pants riped road rash on right knee inerr and my left ankle is soare. Brake was bent and right front likgt busted.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

At least you're mostly ok and the bike isn't too bad.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

Hi Guys,

Just speculation on my part, but is it possible that you have a slight oil leak? Maybe even a breather hose that's loose or disconnected or something that would deposit some oil on your rear tire while you ride?

If it built up, maybe that would cause you to lose traction while starting out in a curve?

It seems to me that accidents can only have a couple of causes: Operator error (too much throttle or inappropriate use of the brakes), machine problems like an oil leak or worn tire, or external problems: a bit of water or sand/gravel, a reverse camber turn, or any combination.

Figuring out why you went down is good, but mainly keeping from doing it again is what matters.

The good news, like Pumps suggested, is that humans heal and bikes can be repaired. I'm glad it wasn't really serious (but it sounds bad enough!).

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

Could be just plain spasticity........ I suffer from that with leaving stinking side stand..... think I'll go backwards someday and put a side stand switch on it....... like a huge bell that would ring or something........ glad you didn't get hurt......... xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

It was a learning experience I'll say that. I think for what ever reason the road was slippery more than usual that morning. I did the side stand thing once (or twice) myself, pulling out of a parking lot after lunch, of course there was a car in front of where I was pulling out with 2 cute girls in it. Saw me dump my bike, wasn't really moving so that one was no big deal. Tomorrow I'm going to do another thorough inspection and go for a little spin.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

Joe, you didn't put anything like armo-all or tire dressing on the tire's, did ya? I had a sportster that sat in my showroom for a couple of year's. Decided to go for a ride on very nice spring day. Mdae the road no problem, was watching the exhaust for oil or smoke, drifted onto the double yellow line & as I corrected to get back into my lane, doing about 40-45 mph, the front tire came out from under me,& I almost ended up uder a pickup truck. Did not go down, as I 'pulled' the bike back up with my left leg.The guy in the pickup drove off the road onto the green. The tire slid out because of armor-all on the tire's. It was on the seat,too. Brought the bike back to the shop & sold it.
Joseph

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

Glad we can look back on this stuff. No armorall but it felt like the back tire was on ice, like it was kicked out from under me. I think I just gased it a bit too much for that day, not that I gased it hard, just a regular take off. I live near alot of kids and drive conservativly in town. Upon inspection it didn't seem like the throtle cable is sticking. I am going to check it realy good tomorrow. The only explination is slick road and too much throtle.
I do remember when it was sliding that it was reving out. I don't know if the throtle reved and this is what took me down or when I was going down if I was reving it by trying to hold on to it. I've fealt for a while now trhat the throtle return is week and lubing the cable didn't help. I am going to see if I can get the throtle to return better.

Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

Hey Joe, I routed mine right along the backbone fo the frame.On the bottom side of the rail,along with the clutch cable.Tie wrapped in place. When I had it on the top of the rail, the throttle would speed up on different steering angles. Just a thought.
nj1639

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

gordo wrote:
Hey Joe, I routed mine right along the backbone fo the frame.On the bottom side of the rail,along with the clutch cable.Tie wrapped in place. When I had it on the top of the rail, the throttle would speed up on different steering angles. Just a thought.

Yep, been there, Gordo.
Joey, glad you're OK.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

When I was putting mine back together I noticed the throttle cable was mis-routed. I saved a diagram from somewhere quite a while back that shows the correct routing of all the wires and cables.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: October 6, 2009, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

The grip on my throtle has tore at the end. This alowed the grip to walk onto the bar a bit and had the throtle response slow and posibly stuck during wipeout. The grip was binding against the switches. I pulled it away from switches, you know slid it off just a bit and the throtle snaps right back now. I realise now why once I felt the tire slip I couldn't get the bike back. It just kept reving and sliding. I may have still lost tracktion but I don't think the wipeout would have been as bad if I had this in order.
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wipe out

Joseph glad to hear you are not typing this from a hospital bed.
I'll add a word of caution for new tires. They an be extra "slick" for the first 100 miles or so. Lots of throttle or heavy breaking should be avoided in curves and corners.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1