650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Elec Prob? need a hand!

Elec Prob? need a hand!
    Forum Index -> Electrical
Aussie650

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 12:11 am    Post subject: Elec Prob? need a hand!

Hey guys, ill get straight to it. The Headlight stoped working on my 81 special. I have read through most of the headlight posts. Going off info fomr RG, i tested the Blue/Yellow wire from the RLD to positive and bingo, worked like a charm. When I tested the the Blue/Black nothing, so i figured the RLD was dead. According to this site www.excess650.co.uk/ti...tricks.htm I connected the Blue/yellow and Blue/Black together and got nothing? What am i doing wrong?? Also I was looking for the safety relay on the RHS of the bike and cant find it? I did however find these plugs that are not connected to anything? any ideas? Thanks a million guys.

elec 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.96 KB
 Viewed:  229 Time(s)

elec 002.jpg

elec 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.16 KB
 Viewed:  210 Time(s)

elec 001.jpg

Aussie650

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

Just for some more info, the 6 port plug has W W W LG B G blugs coming out of it and the 5 port one has W W W B R coming out of it. None of these plugs match up to the 81 Special wiring diagram. Ill check out the other ones.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

sounds like you have a harness for the mechanical reg/rec 79 or earlier

images.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.24 KB
 Viewed:  189 Time(s)

images.jpg

Aussie650

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

Yep was about to post the same thing? So What does this mean?? The bike still runs fine. What does not having those plugged in mean? Sorry not good with bike electrics. Also With the headlight, I have Joined the B/Y and B/Bl from the Reserve lighting and get nothing? Does not having a Saftey relay (Cant find it?) have something to do with this?? Will take the tank off in the morn just to check its not hidden under it? Thanks for looking as well Jayel, appreciate it.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

it's all charging system stuff, does the battery charge?
Aussie650

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

Perfect. No dramas with it charging at all.
Aussie650

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

Am I right in saying this is the rec and reg? Rec on the right side and reg on the left? And if so to redo the wiring system should go from this diagram? 650rider.com/index.php...fullsize=1

bike 045.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.54 KB
 Viewed:  240 Time(s)

bike 045.jpg

bike 015.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.19 KB
 Viewed:  225 Time(s)

bike 015.jpg

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

I'm not real sure, but don't Aussie 650's 1980 on still have points?
I wonder what else is different? Perhaps use a 79 diagram & see if that makes more sense!

The unused plugs must have been replaced at some stage with new wiring. If they were still in play, you'd have no charging system!

So you'll need to trace your wiring from the alternator up, the yellow wire there should go to the safety relay if you've got one!
The three white wires should go to the rectifier, the green wire to the regulator.

Before your light went out, did it only come on after the bike started? If yes that would indicate there is a safety relay somewhere!

Aussie650

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

Yeah mine has points and is an 81. I think, ha. The 79 diagram does look more like the one on the bike.

Now that I think about it the light would work with the bike off. Meaning no Safety relay. Tick that off. So how does this affect bypassing the RLD? Could it just be a faulty switch? I Thought the fact the light works when you contect + and the B/Y from the RLD means the switch works? or have I read wrong????

Quote::
The unused plugs must have been replaced at some stage with new wiring. If they were still in play, you'd have no charging system!

Fair call haha.

So you'll need to trace your wiring from the alternator up, the yellow wire there should go to the safety relay if you've got one!
The three white wires should go to the rectifier, the green wire to the regulator.

Theres definately Something "Special" about this bike. pardon the pun. From this pic you can see the three Whites, and the end of the Yellow capped off. But the three whites I think just go to the plug that "should" be pluged in. BUT... there appears to be another plug into the Rec? Guessing aftermarket job maybe. Sorry for rambling, just writing out loud. That plug should also trace back to the alternator, I think?

bike 015a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.62 KB
 Viewed:  237 Time(s)

bike 015a.jpg

bike 006 (medium).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.83 KB
 Viewed:  229 Time(s)

bike 006 (medium).jpg

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

Man, are you sure that you haven't just blown the low beam on the light?
Aussie650

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

The high beam doesn't work either.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

So do you have a on/off switch?
This pic might be starting to get closer????

650rider.com/index.php...3&pos=2103

Aussie650

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

yep have all the standard controls, Hi and low and dip switch, Lights on and off. They all worked but I have this funny feeling the High and Low beam had been swapped around? Ill have a better look tomorrow when I get home. Thanks for all your help Yamaman, Gotta love shift work. Very Happy
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

Yeah man love it! Hoping to hide away & catch a few zzzz's sometime tonight so I can watch the grand final 2mozza.......Not looking good I'm afraid!

US models lost their on/off switch in '78, thats why I figured maybe the '77 diagram might work out! I've never seen a diagram for Aussie models...........

Aussie650

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

Haha im a league man myself but still looking forward to the GF. Should be a great one! As for the diagrams, i think ill end up redoing the whole wiring system, "simplified". Just wanted to get the light working as its ready for it RWC. Except the damn light! ha. Enjoy the zzz's.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

So, you said the lights work when you hook up 12v to the blue/yellow, but not when you hook the blue/black to the blue/yellow, is that correct?
Putting 12v direct to the blue/yellow bypasses the switch, so the switch could be the problem.

You could try pulling the switch apart & cleaning it up, can get shitty in there! Be carefull, can be a bit fiddly! You could just try squirting the hell out of it with CRC first, might fix it????

Does the tail light come on still?

So it should work like this, use a meter or test light for the following:

Red from battery to fuse, fuse to key switch 12v
red/yellow from key switch to light on/off switch 12v
blue/black from light switch to RLD 12v
blue/yellow from RLD to high/low switch 12v
yellow from high/low 12v when switched to high
green from high/low 12v when switched to low

xsleo

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

In your pic 015a the black box just under the red arrow is the safety relay.
In pic bike 045 the box with the green winding is the regulator.
Your rectifier is mounted to the bottom of the battery box.
I think your P/O has been creative with the wiring. In pics elec 002 and 001 the plug goes into the socket. The plug comes up from your alternator, the socket goes to the regulator and rectifier.
I would look things over very well. I would use a 78 or 79 diagram to go by.
If you get to confused rip out the harness and start from scratch. I did on my 75 and every thing works great.
Coverting to a later model style combo reg/rec or doing Pamcopete's Radio Shack rectifier, Chrysler regulator mods will be a good thing to.
Pamcopete has a few other mods that are good too.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

78/79 diagram doesn't have a on/off switch for the lights!
RLD on a 77 has 5 wires, 78 has 6, so I suppose whichever fits is the best diagram to use! Though ditching the RLD altogether would be my plan! Keep/reserect the safety relay if your keeping the starter motor

In Aus the Chrysler regulator will cost a bundle! There are Aussie equivilants, no sure what they are, 650skull will be on to it, if he comes back anytime soon............Rectifier mod is easy, Dick Smiths in Aus.

Yeah, that harness looks like it's a goner! I'd go for the modified one that covers about everything you posted up near the top of the page.
Looks like fun, enjoy!

Aussie650

PostPosted: September 26, 2009, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Elec Prob? need a hand!

So, you said the lights work when you hook up 12v to the blue/yellow, but not when you hook the blue/black to the blue/yellow, is that correct?
Putting 12v direct to the blue/yellow bypasses the switch, so the switch could be the problem.

Ill have a look at this today. Got caught up in the footy all day!

Does the tail light come on still?

Nope its dead to

So it should work like this, use a meter or test light for the following:

Ill also try all these when I get home later today.

xsleo - Thanks for the info, ill have a look for the rectifier under the battery. I'm leaning towards starting from scatch. it just such a mess! Seems to be parts of two seperate looms and then some! The good news is the charging is great so ill try to replicate it taking out what isn't needed.

yamaman- Thaks again, leaning towards a 78 diagram, and the RLD has already been ditched! Were you going for the Cats?

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1