650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > one day running great, the next day dead as a door nail

one day running great, the next day dead as a door nail
    Forum Index -> Electrical
croyable

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 6:03 pm    Post subject: one day running great, the next day dead as a door nail

the short version/question:

is there any difference between the following 3 batteries or do they just have different names?

CBTX14AHL-BS (AGM) - (Mikesxs)
PTX14AHLBS-FS (AGM) - (sepbatteries.com)
UTX14AHL (AGM) - (apexbattery.com)

the long version:

I got my 79 not even a year ago. One of the first things I did was replace the rectifier/regulator due to bad charging issues. Seems pretty common, no? Seems like every time I get one thing working great another thing pops up. I am new at this, so its been quite frustrating...

I thought I finally had the thing working and running well after some leaky petcock and vacuum suction/gas cap issues, I rode happily for two days a couple hours each day after those fixes and...

on the third day, all I got was clicking when I tried the electric start. I tried to kick start and again no-go. I finally got my multimeter in the mail and found today that with the key on, the battery drew 10.7 volts or so, then when i hit the start button it went down to 3.8-4.3

clearly, my battery has fizzled out. i am hoping this isn't an issue with my new regulator/rectifier. the battery is about a year old and it has had its ups and downs given the charging issues before they were fixed.

is it common for a battery to be working fine and then suddenly just Confused not? i have ridden it a couple times a week all summer and don't put the tender on it unless its sitting a couple weeks or more.
blue900

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: one day running great, the next day dead as a door nail

I'm not sure if the battery's are the same or not, But An AGM battery is a must have upgrade. I got mine from the local Battery's Plus Store, for a good Price. Everything about it is better than a regular battery except the price, but it should last a lot longer.

It takes time and patients to get the bugs worked out. An LED tail light to save amps and a volt meter to always be able to see where the voltage is. How are the alternator Bushes when the inside one gets worn down the charging slows down then stops.

Your battery may just need charged if its only a year old. Charge it up and take your multi meter and test the battery. at every stop. My last one lasted 3 yrs. When its at full charge it should have 12.6 volt or higher. If at 11.7 or less is dead. If its not charging the head light will run down the battery fairly quick.
Don't give up.
The battery place will test your battery for you, it needs to be charged up first.

The charging system is an up and down problem to sort out for sure.

Then get it tuned and geared up they are fun, smooth reliable rides. But defiantly a project.
Be careful you may get addicted.
Photo Gallery
croyable

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: one day running great, the next day dead as a door nail

thanks for the tips blue900. i hear you, i think i am already addicted, and i can't really afford to be, but oh well.

good point about the LED tail light. i went ahead and ordered a battery from mikesxs, but i think i will take the other one to be tested anyway. it's plugged into a tender now, so we'll see what happens.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: one day running great, the next day dead as a door nail

I know this seems like a pain but it's a good idea to clean all the electrical connections on the bike. Here is a good guide to check your electrical system.

xs650temp.proboards29....hread=3461

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Luke4554

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: one day running great, the next day dead as a door nail

those batteries are all three the same. the "14AHL" specifies the group size of the battery which is its chemistry .. (agm) .. its physical dimensions .. and its post orientation (which side pos and neg are on.. as well as what style terminal connections it has). Any companys 14AHL-blah blah has to fall within a specific range of requirements. In general if you lined them all up you wouldnt find any difference other than possibly a slight +/- cca rating based on who labeled the battery.

Luke
croyable

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: one day running great, the next day dead as a door nail

thanks for the clarification Luke4554.
blue900

PostPosted: September 23, 2009, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: one day running great, the next day dead as a door nail

I hear you about the afford thing But I justify mine be cause I ride to work every day I can. Its somewhat harder to Justify the second one I just bought. (Hence the Addiction sets in).
Think and study out your repairs carefully it will save Lots of $. Its hard when you just want to ride. Parts add up quick. Save all your old Parts they can come in handy and save you money later.

Nice looking Bike.
You will get it.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1