650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Rebuild or replace front master cylinder?

Rebuild or replace front master cylinder?
    Forum Index -> Frames
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Rebuild or replace front master cylinder?

Since I am putting on new braided lines I thought I would pull my front master cylinder apart and give it a paint job. Got it apart and I see the o ring under the reservoir has leaked onto the paint and there is lots of brown waxy looking stuff down in there. Scraped it all out and as I inspected the plastic reservoir I noticed cracks in it. It would be a good time to put a rebuild kit in while I have it apart but the more I look at the prices of the kits plus I don't see that mike has a reservoir I'm thinking I'll replace it.
Rebuild kit=$19.00 + Reservoir Cap & Diaphragm Kit=$34.00 plus a reservoir from ?. New master cylinders start at $69 I think . I'll go dual disc setup on the front eventually so can I get one that will run a single now and still work for a dual later? Which one to use?The Part #08-0265mike has? I'm trying to stay close to stock.Thanks in advance!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild or replace front master cylinder?

pumps,

Well, I would use a new master cylinder. IMHO, the only brake component that can be successfully rebuilt is the caliper, and that's because it's so simple.

As far as I know, you will have to use a single caliper MC with a single caliper and a double with a double.

When you squeeze the lever, you want the bike to stop....

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild or replace front master cylinder?

Pump's, if the reservoir has cracks in it, it will eventually leak. Or worse.
You can use the master for dual disc's for one, but remember that hydraulic force is multiplied many time's over. A bigger bore on the master will give you more braking force than a smaller bore, possibly causing wheel lock on a 'panic' stop. Also, when you finally get the second disc, the brake will feel like it has less braking, because you'll be used to the bigger piston on one disc. I understand that money is always an issue with everyone, but I recommend you get the correct master first, then get the dual disc one with the dual disc set-up. Sell the one for the single disc here or on e-gay. Confused

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild or replace front master cylinder?

Pumps, check out the Vintage Brake web site, it has an application chart for the best combinations of callipers/master cyls. Any doubts you should ring MMM, as Gordo says, get it right first time!

Just for your info, old style callipers are 48mm twin piston, new style are 40mm single piston.

They recommend a 5/8ths - 16mm master cyl for 2 disc/new style callipers

Or a 19mm master for twin disc old style.

These are a guide only & not a strict rule, but these will put you somewhere where you need to be!

www.650central.com/

Cheers

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild or replace front master cylinder?

Just the kind of great advice from experience that I needed! I'll go with a single for now and peddle the new/old one when the time comes. I'll get the Yamaha OEM type Part #08-0255 from mike if that one is ok. Brakes are sort of important to me. Smile

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild or replace front master cylinder?

OR, you could play Fred Flintstone, but I don't recommend it.
xsleo

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild or replace front master cylinder?

I'm using a 5/8, 16 mm bore M/C from an 82 Seca. I have the later style calipers, with a dual disc. The M/C works very well. The lever travel isn't very long.
I think a 14mm would be better with the later style dual caliper set up.
If you are going to use the older style calipers in a dual set up. A 22 mm M/C was stock, The 19 mm my work better.
I think using a M/C that is too big would make the lever pull harder and get weaker braking.
A M/C too small, the lever will pull easy and you may run out of lever travel before the brakes work.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1