650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Newbie 6th bike 1st chop
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
Dirka

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

ive done all i can do in my garage, now its time to move the bike to "the shop". looks pretty sweet slammed down.

my dad getting in tune with the 650

a little disassembly

i think ill cut it here and leave the stand for now till i can pinpoint the specs of the seat height, stretch and fab up the hardtail.

with a little buzz of the sawzall the tail section is set free. Dont cry Fred

now with a gap in between we can figure out how much to stretch it.

we are getting close with this setup...i said close now.

i think this setup is showing 6" stretch and 5" ground clearance. im thinking dropseat???

anyone know the stock rake?
what kind of ground clearance you runnin?
how easy is it to lower the front end?
anyone wanna guess the make/model/year of the backdrop in the last two pics?
nj1639

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Not much for choppers myself but that stock tank on there is aces, looking like what a 50's xs650 could have been, and I do like stock hardtails.
Nice.

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Hey Dirka, like your style, welcome!

Stock rake is 27*. Heres a link for you to check out:

www.650motorcycles.com...llins.html

Though there wouldn't be many in Aus, I'll have my money on it being a '64ish Plymoth Fury, looks wild anyway! What does it have in it?

Dirka

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

NJ,
thanks i kinda like the stock tank too but if i do the drop seat i will have to use a shorter tank. the stocker extends over the bend in the center tube.
i may be able to make it work if needed.

Yamaman,
thanks for the link. some useful info there. close guess on the car. you will have to check back for the answer. i cant give it away on the first guess.
Dirka

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

can anyone tell me how to identify my carbs? i need to figure it out before i buy aluminum intakes from tcbrothers. dont want to drop 80 on the wrong s*** man.
nj1639

PostPosted: October 10, 2009, 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

There's a picture of a set of 38's and a set of 34's in this thread

www.650rider.com/index...pic&t=9236

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 10, 2009, 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

I'd tell you that MikesXS has a carb id page on his site, but you didn't give up what that Plymouthy looking thing is, or what motor it's running. So there, not telling ya!
Dirka

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

thanks NJ, looks like i have the 38's according to that pic.... and according to mikesxs(thanks yamaman) its unanimous.

Yamaman, you were close. it is a '64 plymouth belvedere and its motivated by a stout 440. its ran 6.90 in the 1/8th mile. pretty quick for as big as it is.
Dirka

PostPosted: October 17, 2009, 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

so i have received my universal hardtail kit from TC Bros. purchased through ebay. and i am going to "the shop" tomorrow to start welding s*** together.

what kind of ground clearance are you all running? what do you suggest as far as driveability?

is it easy to lower the frontend? i have never had one apart.

anyone have 1/16 or 1/8 thick header wrap? pics?

more pics coming soon
blackwidow

PostPosted: October 18, 2009, 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

good start

PostPosted: October 18, 2009, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

i didnt get anyhing on the bike welded. spent most of the day building the workbench its sitting on.

i bought the TC Bros. universal kit and i know how it is supposed to go together. i just dont want my bike to look like everyone else's.
i mocked up the rear section two different ways and i would love some feedback from you. please take a minute and tell me what you think.

setup A

or

setup B

i personally like (setup A). what do you think?

Last edited by Dirka on November 11, 2009, 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick_in_PDX

PostPosted: October 18, 2009, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

I like "A" cause it NOT like everyone else's.
Some people will say that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this,,,,, Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube,That is why God made fast motorcycles—Hunter S
chromeyblue

PostPosted: October 18, 2009, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Hey dirka!!!!
I like the (A) nice job
Teebs

PostPosted: October 18, 2009, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

"A" looks sick and has better overall flow. Way different. Both work though. Good to see you going your own way.
benjamoid14

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

I like setup B, the lines match up better in my opinion.

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

In my opinion neither way. The hardtail lower tubes look like they join up to the original frame frame in an odd manner. The regular tc bros kit has sleeves that go into the original frame and the hard tail. (of course everyone knows this...) But just saying that you will at least want some sort of gusseting or sleeving to keep this kind of setup strong, which gussets can become rather unsightly... The longer your hardtail is the more leverage it has on the those joints..... but im not you, so if i had to pick one, I would say a. Because it is fucking wild looking!
Dirka

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

thanks for all the input guys. i knew i was going with (A) as soon as i backed up to take a look at it. sorry benjamoid im not really diggin the symmetrics (spell check please) on setup B. maybe ill use it on the next chop.

jim
i hear what you are saying man, but when i cut the ass off this thing i cut it just above the upward bend in the original frame. (see pic) so i will still be able to use the solid slugs from TC Bros to strengthen the frame. and if it is in fact a weak point ill put some type of gusset in there. thanks for the feedback man. oh and it is only at 4 inches of stretch. so its not really out there too far. i dont think.

Last edited by Dirka on October 25, 2009, 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Dirka

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

do you think the stock tank will work with setup A?

i have the forks compressed 2 inches with a rachet strap trying to get the stance i want. as it sits it has like 5 1/2" of ground clearance. is that alot? im kinda thinking 4 " would be better. but i wanna be able to ride it.
jimxsrider

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

It just might, if you cut the rear mounting tab off and make some other kind of mount hidden under the tank and maybe move the ears on the tank back a bit so it will slide forward a little, ( I dont really know how much space there is to move it forward, but you could acheive a littlethis way) Or possibly you could work a tankmount in with your seat hinge mount? But that would be kind of a high seat mount for it being as this is sort of a "drop seat" look like you said...
Dirka

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

jim
if i remember correctly there is probably about an inch of room to move the tank toward the neck, unless the bars hit it.

what kind of ground clearance are you running?
jimxsrider

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

not quite shure yet what I'm at. I have the premade tc bros setup installed, I will be running a 21" front wheel, and a stock rear diameter (18) this should give me more than necessary, but I also plan on lowering my forks. I have it sitting on the ground with a 19 inch front as of now and the forks bottomed out and i beleive i have 3 inches. But that isn't where it going to ride . I think tc bros says, with stock wheels there premade unit gives 4-1/2 inches of clearance. thats not much. Any lower and i dont think i could ride it in rural illinois. so I would say 4 would be the lowest if you really wanted to beat the crap out of it.... oh and on the tank thing, now that i think about it the "cups" that i was talking about are on the frame and there are only 3 spot welds on each one so you could drill those out and reposition them closer to the neck. should be really easy and then you wouldn't have to do any cutting on the tank.
Teebs

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

The stock tank looks good. If you're going to paint it you should consider keeping the striping on the sides close to the same., Those tanks start looking pretty blocky in solid colors. I would either just bend the existing tank mount down so it's at the angle of the backbone, or make a new one that's still exposed, but just a cleaner tab. Nothing wrong with having that mount exposed on a chop, and with that hardtail setup the seat is going to look the best if it's as low and far back to the fender as you can get it.

As far as ground clearance goes, are you talking 5.5" to the lower frame rails. or to the kickstand/center stand mount? I'm assuming to the frame rails. Anyway, there are plenty of chops out there running 4 inches and even a little lower.

ine, as it sits right now is going to be about 3.5 inches, but I've removed the center stand and will be relocating the kickstand, I'm running scrambler style pipes, so I'll still be able to lean pretty deep into the turns, and shouldn't have to worry about bottoming out on bumps. 4 inches is quite a bit of travel for your suspension.
Dirka

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

jim
sounds like you are well on your way man. and you are right those cups should be fairly easy to move. i think it will give just enough room to make that rear mount work without major mods. so how are the roads in rural illinois? probably about the same as here in southwest indiana. lots of them concave style speed bumps.

teebs
to keep the tank from looking too bulky im seriously considering beating the sides in a bit using the pinstripe as a guide. (see pic) i know its a sporty tank but i think the look could work on my stock tank too. yes i was referring to the bottom of the framerail. i too will be removing the center stand and relocating the kickstand so with that said i will aim for 4" or less

gotta give props to graverobbercustoms their bikes are sick
Dirka

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

i am going tomorrow to do some more work on the bike. i will post new pics when i get back. i cant wait, i havent been able to do anything for weeks.

has anyone beat the sides of their tank in like the guys at GRC?

i am still debating mid or forward controls. any suggestions?

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5