650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Fell, now won't start

Fell, now won't start
    Forum Index -> Fuel
Thunzie

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Fell, now won't start

Hi all, hoping for some advice. I've built an XS650 bobber and am having some problems with starting. All was ok until about 3 weeks ago when it fell off the side stand while idling on my driveway. The plugs got oil fouled, no worries - replaced those. Then I changed the main jet from the stock 135 (bike is a 79) to 150, pilot is still the stock 27.5, i have a 35 on order. The bike wants to start, it sputters when I kick it but just wont get going. I mentioned the fall because I dont know if that might have something to do with it, it was only on its side (left) for a few seconds. Do the symptoms sound like a jetting issue / or carb setup? It's got me baffled as it was running fine until I dropped it, but I changed from the main jet 135 to the 150 shortly after also so maybe thats the cause.....dunno.
scotts

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fell, now won't start

TRy swapping the old jets back in and see what happens.
Photo Gallery
Thunzie

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fell, now won't start

scotts wrote:
TRy swapping the old jets back in and see what happens.
That crossed my mind but its not an option unfortunately, I gave them to a friend who's drilled them out for his own bike. Do you reckon the main would be affecting start up? Is the main even doing any work at that stage?
scotts

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fell, now won't start

I wouldn't think it would prevent it from starting, but it was an easy thing to try.
What ignition? Do you have spark? Maybe you knocked something loose when it fell?
Have you checked the battery voltage? It may just be a coincidence and you could have a dead battery.
Photo Gallery
Thunzie

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fell, now won't start

scotts wrote:
I wouldn't think it would prevent it from starting, but it was an easy thing to try.
What ignition? Do you have spark? Maybe you knocked something loose when it fell?
Have you checked the battery voltage? It may just be a coincidence and you could have a dead battery.
Good spark on both sides, battery is new and fully charged. Ignition is the original type and the points look pretty good. I re-set the gap as per the Haynes manual specs just to be sure.
chopchopchop

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fell, now won't start

I am having a very similar problem and it's driving me freakin crazy.
Thunzie

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fell, now won't start

chopchopchop wrote:
I am having a very similar problem and it's driving me freakin crazy.

For me it turned out to be a combination of things which made finding the fault very frustrating. It was:

1) oil fouled plugs

2) a connection under the tank had come undone during the fall but looked like it was still connected, making it hard to see so undo and replug all your connections on your ignition circuit to be sure!

3) The battery was reading just over 10V which apparently isn't quite enough to kick it over with. When I put on a brand new fully charged battery, having fixed the other two problems the bike now kicks over every time.

Good luck man.... I feel your pain.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1