650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > side cover with broken post - what to do?

side cover with broken post - what to do?
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
xjwmx

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 10:28 am    Post subject: side cover with broken post - what to do?

The side covers on my bike have a post at the bottom that goes through a grommet as one of the attachment points. The post is broken off on one cover and the tool kit tries to push the cover out to the side. Is there a neat way to attach it back or is it doomed to a screw and fender washers? I don't have the broken off post itself.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: side cover with broken post - what to do?

I use a small hole to copper wire mine on there......... in case one tries to fly off...... which it did once and I was lucky enought to retrieve it unscaved.......... across town no less.........

Could get fancy and use a concaved bolt with a nut on the backside to remake a plunger thing,,,,, ?....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: side cover with broken post - what to do?

Use a ruber band or spring to hold the tool kit in tight. I got the replacement gromets from mikesxs to replace a couple that were badly worn they hold the cover much tighter.
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: side cover with broken post - what to do?

Joseph wrote:
Use a ruber band or spring to hold the tool kit in tight. I got the replacement gromets from mikesxs to replace a couple that were badly worn they hold the cover much tighter.

At first I thought you misunderstood what I asked, but that's a good solution really. With good grommets and the tool kit held in by something, the post probably isn't needed so much.

I discovered a cool way to wire the kit in. THere's a hook on the right side of the tool hole. Take a piece of wire and run it to the front of the grommet bracket, then over the frame tube and back through the hook. Twist the ends together and it holds the kit in without interfering with the sidecover on the grommet at all.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: side cover with broken post - what to do?

The reason I thought of that is because my bike came with what I think was a factory spring holding in the tool kit . It was steachd out so I am using ruber bands but there should be a hook on both sides of the tool hole to hook to. For the broken bootom post maybee a high strength velcro will work
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1