650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Lean or rich in the pilot circut?

Lean or rich in the pilot circut?
    Forum Index -> Fuel
1f2frfbf

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 10:20 am    Post subject: Lean or rich in the pilot circut?

Okay, I've read the carb guide, but I can't get my head around two things: what's the difference between "stumbling" and a "flat spot"?

y 79 just got the carbs rebuilt again, and now at 2500 it sounds like Porky Pig with a shotgun. It stutters up and down until it reaches 3000 and then pops loudly and takes off. It will fall back down through the same RPMs smoothly with only a little hanging. I can start it off the line okay, if I feather the clutch.

y current carb settings are: BS38s jetted to #140 main and #35 pilot with the mix screw out 2 turns. I know this is something that is in the pilot circuit, but is it lean or rich? Is there something else I can do to figure this out? TIA, all.
acbanks

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lean or rich in the pilot circut?

Were the needles adjusted? Typically with those jets I think you would drop the needle one groove(raise the clip one groove) to lean out the midrange. (The lean needle compensates for the rich main jet, the rich pilot jet then has to compensate for lean needle. It's like you're chasing your tail, crazy I know.) It's a pain to get to them and you'll need a pair of snap ring pliers.

Then again this s*** is all black magic so I could be totally wrong.
Photo Gallery
1f2frfbf

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Lean or rich in the pilot circut?

I think the needle is still in the middle position, I didn't adjust it this time around. I'll check that this evening...
mgreaves

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lean or rich in the pilot circut?

my 77 has '78 BS38 carbs, pod filters and Supertrapp 2 to 1 exhaust. Settings are Main- 137.5, Pilot 30, needle in the middle. I can see going up to a 140 main, but the 35 pilot sounds too rich unless you have a big bore kit?? dropping the needle may give you the same issue you have now, just at a slightly higher RPM. What air filters do you have? I have experienced a stumble/flat spot caused by after market "universal' airfilters where the rubber lip disturbs the air getting into the small jets around the mouth of the carb. Rolling Eyes

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
1f2frfbf

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lean or rich in the pilot circut?

I have the K&N knockoffs from Mike's, I've been using them for a while with no issues. I switched to the larger pilot since I had to have my mix screw at 3.5+ turns out with a 30 and I felt like that was too far.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1