650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
scotts

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

I've been lucky/smart/blessed/industrious enough to amass a small collection of really nice VW's and motorcycles. They're all paid for and all worth more than I've got invested in them.
I've been kicking around the idea of thinning the heard a bit. I can only ride one bike at a time, and bobbers and cafe' bikes are cool, but not necessarily the most comfortable things. I drive a VW daily, but my poor old '63 just sits and collects dusts, sometimes for months on end. On top of that, my Dad is currently custodian of one of my old VW's and an old Yamaha. That's three Bugs and three motorcycles, not counting the project bikes.
I hesitate to get rid of anything because, well, they're cheap to own and insure and I could never replace them if I wanted to. The economy, my job, the collector car market, etc. has all changed. I'll never be able to do another bare metal, touch every bolt resto again.

After thinking about it and thinking about it, I decide to take the '63 for a spin today. She's sat for months. About 3 miles up the road, she starts to run rough. Not running on #3. Replaced the spark plug and I have spark, but still not firing. I plan on checking the valves soon.
So, I hop in the '70. Dead. I've been having intermittant problems with the ignition or starter and it seems the starter has decided to give up the ghost.
Then, I pull the fuel pump on the B2 gas heater. Points are worn and it won't fire properly. On the hunt for a replacement fuel pump...Drop car off at a friends shop so he can replace starter or switch while I'm at work (it's my daily driver, need it done ASAP).
I'll add all this to the list: Rebuild 1975 XS650, change head gasket on bobber, help Dad finish his bike, etc., etc.

Why shouldn't I just sell everything but the '63 and the '75 XS650? Maybe buy an old pick-up truck or a Kia or something?
I wish I had a great, big warehouse. I'd just park 'em all, hook up battery tenders and turn in the tags....Be that crazy old man with the barn full of stuff when I'm 88 years old.
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

I have developed a belief that goes like this: Why let something sit and rot when another man could get some use out of it before it’s too far gone to be worth s*** to anyone.

Having made that comment I have to admit letting go of my old toys wasn’t easy at all. I mean I loved my old 68 Vdub and my kit sand rail car was a weekend blast for years. But after seeing them just sit for months on end getting a bit rusty and dry rotted I had to do something. So, I opted to pass them on to the next generation of young guys ready to create their vision of cool.

I’m happy I did it too.

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

I hear ya, but none of my stuff is in bad shape. The '63 and '66 are both former HotVW's feature cars, both with stroker motors and built trannies, nice wheels, etc. Even my daily driver '70 is as nice as most VW's at the monthly cruise-ins/shows.
All three finished XS's are super nice, too. Everything is garaged, stored properly, VERY well taken care of, etc.
That's why I hate to get rid of anything; especially the VW's. I couldn't afford to replace them with something similar if I had a change of heart in a year or two. Just couldn't afford it, if I could find something. The bikes, maybe....the VW's, prolly not.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

Obama will squash them is another good reason........ Laughing
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

Nah, they're all too old.
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

Maybe you can give them to your kids one day. Or convert them to run on some kind of future power source, that would be cool.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

I've decided to live by something I heard from an old drag bike builder turned retired vintage rider. He said museum pieces are for museums but that mostly we should ride'em not hide 'em. I'll get my old xs as nice as I care to and try to ride the heck out of her until I get tired of it.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
1ironhead

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

Unless you would like to donate them to me so I could start my collection,I'd look for a bigger garage.....Wait a minute.....I already have a small collection (of bikes) and I'm looking for a bigger garage.
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

scotts wrote:

Why shouldn't I just sell everything but the '63 and the '75 XS650? Maybe buy an old pick-up truck or a Kia or something?.

What is it that the Mexicans get for their Tequila that's even half as valueable as what they've sold? Beats me.....

Far as I can tell... the old man with the barn full may have it right. My only real regret regarding motorcycles is with regard to those I've sold.

Sleep on it! Tthe wipe out of the collection that is? You've done and do some fabulous work! What better could you collect? Money???

What do you/we remember.. the long gone bike we loved or the money we got for it? Best, Blue

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

unless you found a really cool old truck....I found a nice old 66 Ford p/u w/a rebuilt motor and newer 4 speed tranny that I'd swap a couple bikes and some cash for if I had the cash and I new all my work was going to be local for a few years.I feel sure you'll do the right thing....and what does dad have to say about your dilemma?
scotts

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

He's on board for whatever I decide. The car and bike at his house are technicaly mine. They were mine and I gave them to him. They're in the will to be returned to me, etc.
Dad helped me build all these cars and bikes and none of them would have turned out as well without his help and dedication to detail and doing it right.
Photo Gallery
blackwidow

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

I hear exactly what your saying. I have had some things just sit around and I think I can sell that have this much cash and not have to worry about that stuff. I think it's a loose loose situation. You'll sell have the money and be happy you don't have to have that stuff but you will get bored and be looking to buy something else.

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

Hi Guys,

One of my favorite subjects---mainly because there is no right or wrong answer...it depends on the individual.

I TOTALLY regret selling my stock ULH Harley. And the Gold Star BSA. The P-11a Norton, and the 650SS. MY cute 1960 MGA should still be here, as well as both Matchless G80 singles.

Convert them to cash? Why? To buy more toys is OK, but if you pay the electric bill or the mortgage, the toy is gone and the cash is gone and what have you got? A toaster that will work...... Crying or Very sad

Of course, on the other hand, I've pretty much decided to sell two of my four BSA singles. Why? Because it has been a year since I've more than looked at them, and it's not fair to the machinery.

For me it is like a relationship: it has to be fair to both parties. If I don't ever use or work on a bike, I'm not being a good partner, right? Just like if the bike constantly needs attention and won't run right no matter what you do, it's not holding up it's end of the bargain....

And--again, thanks to my father--I'd rather spend my money on tools than pay someone else to do a repair. (Within reason, of course--I've never tried to true a built-up crankshaft, for example, nor have I bored a taper-bore cylinder)

So, here is how it works for me: I want both. I want to have a nice, tidy collection of my favorite bikes, and have a nice shed in which to work, and have the money I would get if I sold everything. Seems simple to me.....oh, yeah, and a bigger 'fridge so that when my friends come over to work on their own bikes or help me with mine, I'll have lots of beer and dip for the chips....

.....and all my old bikes back.

.....and a better heater out there.

.....and, someday, Prada shoes!

.....and a bunny for Sissie, and a BB gun for my brother.,,,,, Very Happy

and, and, and......wow! We humans are certainly predictable, aren't we?

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Srinath

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

Yes letting it sit bugs me and the work it takes after that to get it to where it was is pretty frustrating as well.
Cool.
Buddha.
mtc57

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

My philosophy is every toy has to be used. Otherwise it's let go. I learned a long time ago there's a limit to the cars and bikes I can own. I'm no Jay Leno, and I don't have a full-time mechanic around to maintain a fleet. I've given bikes away when they sat around unused too long. I'd much rather someone use them than have them sit in my garage in limbo. I do not want to be the 88-year-old with a ton of cars and bikes that have fused into uselessness. I'd rather be the 88-year-old with one car I love, and one bike I love, and unburdened by tons of toys I never use.

Now my approach is I can't get any cars or bikes unless there's a one-for-one swap. Each car that comes in means one car gets sold. Each bike that comes in means one gets sold. This way I keep what I really like, and get rid of stuff that starts to hang around unridden or undriven.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

I decided to put two of the VWs up for sale. I'm in negotiations with the original owner of the '66. He wants it back and I want him to have it. We just have to see if we can work out a deal.
I've had a little interest on the '70, but no firm offers yet.

I also plan on putting at least one of my XS650s up for sale in the Spring. It's the wrong time of year to be selling a bike, right?
If anyone on the forum is interested in a nice Brat Style bobber or cafe' racer, let me know....
I plan on using some of those funds to finish up the '75 resto. I'll get it down to one bike and one vintage car.
I'll probably regret this one day, but it just seems like the right thing to do.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

Hey you can always buy more? Personally I like to have one to ride while the other is in pieces...I mean I HAVE to have a backup you know?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

Yeah, that's why I said one OR two XS's up for sale. I'll probably keep one 'til the '75 is done and decide what to do with it then.
Photo Gallery
Srinath

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Why SHOULDN'T I sell 'em all?

scotts wrote:
I decided to put two of the VWs up for sale. I'm in negotiations with the original owner of the '66. He wants it back and I want him to have it. We just have to see if we can work out a deal.
I've had a little interest on the '70, but no firm offers yet.

I also plan on putting at least one of my XS650s up for sale in the Spring. It's the wrong time of year to be selling a bike, right?
If anyone on the forum is interested in a nice Brat Style bobber or cafe' racer, let me know....
I plan on using some of those funds to finish up the '75 resto. I'll get it down to one bike and one vintage car.
I'll probably regret this one day, but it just seems like the right thing to do.

Hey scotts - I'd like to see it. I have a tail section and a sringarm I have intended to swap in, and want to make a monoshock bike ... but I definetly want to see yours for a tail section idea. Dont want to just run omar's - nothing against it, byt with the KLR tail I am fitting it may not work.
I'm in charlotte PM me please.
BTW I have a 69 convt VW as well.

Cool.
Srinath.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1