650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > need some seat ideas for my '77

need some seat ideas for my '77
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
CalAl

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 5:40 pm    Post subject: need some seat ideas for my '77

The stock cover is torn and since I have to replace I thought I might rebuild the whole thing to something like the cafe seat at MikesXS. The stocker is too big - kinda looks like a couch parked on the bike - and I'm not that big...
I was thinking of keeping the stock base because of the hinges and lock, but it sure is wide. Has anyone cut the base down a bit and built a smaller or narrower seat? Got photos?
The process of forming new foam apparently involves foam, spray glue, and an electric carving knife. Any suggestions/examples much appreciated.
Alan
nj1639

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: need some seat ideas for my '77

I trimmed mine down and removed the pan entirely. Put snaps on to hold it down. Still a work in progress but its working fine for now.

Pics on the link @ my quote.

Teebs

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: need some seat ideas for my '77

If you have access to an air compressor and air sander you will get much better results than with an electric knife... messier, but much better.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: need some seat ideas for my '77

If you use a powerd sander of a kind then don't forget to wear a mask and glasses
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: need some seat ideas for my '77

nj1639, how did you atach the snaps th the bike? Does the cover just go over a lump af shaped foam? I'd play with that idea. Maybee use velcro to hold it. Whaere can I get seat foam?
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: need some seat ideas for my '77

foam carpet padding work good.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Teebs

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: need some seat ideas for my '77

650skull wrote:
If you use a powerd sander of a kind then don't forget to wear a mask and glasses

After about 2 minutes that would become a necessity anyway. lol It's amazing that you have to remind people to take care of themselves, but you're right skull, as with any other work where airborne particles may be inhaled, you should always wear proper safety equipment.

Another good source of foam is a camping pad (blue closed-cell foam available at most sporting goods stores as well as Wally World). You can also try any place that does automotive upholstery, they may have small pieces they will sell on the cheap.
nj1639

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: need some seat ideas for my '77

Joseph wrote:
nj1639, how did you atach the snaps th the bike? Does the cover just go over a lump af shaped foam? I'd play with that idea. Maybee use velcro to hold it. Whaere can I get seat foam?

I used the foam from the stock seat and carved it down with a large bread knife(wedding cake knife, shhh!).
The snaps recievers are pop riveted to the rails. I fashioned the old seat cover for a new template and then found some vinyl off an old couch for the 'new' cover. Quick chain stitch by hand and voila, good enuff for now. Cost? my time and the rivets.
I don't have a problem with what's under the foam, battery has the stock plastic cover on and my fuses are individual inline with the rubber caps.

I looked into memory foam and also carpet padding. The stock foam is the best in my opinion.
I've got another one on the back burner, goes up to rub the tank like the stock seat, but has the 'hump' moved back a bit. Waiting to find another old vinyl couch to finish it up, HA!.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1