650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > WTA: Need advise, engine is getting hot very quickly(Newbie)

WTA: Need advise, engine is getting hot very quickly(Newbie)
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Pramudito.mangunkusumo

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 4:45 am    Post subject: WTA: Need advise, engine is getting hot very quickly(Newbie)

Hello

I live in Jakarta, Indonesia and the temperature is around 32-34 Celcius every day. The question is if my engine getting hot real quickly in about 2-4 minutes after I kick started it and will get much more2 hotter when I ride it .. is it normal???

I was thinking to buy one of mikexs parts the Performance Oil Filter/Cooler Kit (Part #15-6504) or the High Performance Oil Pump (Part #05-0044) .. but will it really work well on the roads?? and since the High Performance Oil Pump is a bit expensive for me I rather use the Performance Oil Filter/Cooler Kit if its possible .. I need advice regarding this matter so I don't waste money while something could be done to solve this ...

If someone have the same experienced and already have the solution I need your advice Smile

I am a bit short on my budget so I was also looking for many used parts of xs 650 that are still in good conditions and worthy from a reliable merchant, such as:

- Center stand set (Center stand, center stand bolt & center stand spring)
- Seat grab rail set (Seat grab rail & Grab rail bolts)
- Tank emblem just like the Part #65-6501 on mikexs (2 pieces)
- Clutch lever decompression and the mounting
- Side covers just like the image below that have the XS650 emblem on it (what I really need is just the XS650 emblem but let me know)

- I also need a triple tree that complete with the "black holder" that should be place above the nut (I don't exactly know the name) just like the image below

y steering right know

What I need

Look forward to hear from you guys, many thanks.

Last edited by Pramudito.mangunkusumo on September 6, 2009, 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: WTA: Need advise, engine is getting hot very quickly(Newbie)

normal engine operating temp would be somewhere around 225/245F (107/118C) measured at the top of the cylinder near spark plug area
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: WTA: Need advise, engine is getting hot very quickly(Newbie)

That knob I believe is the steering damper adjustment knob.
The engine IS air cooled so it will get hot but probably you should measure the temperature if you are concerned and take steps from there. Your english is very good by the way.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Pramudito.mangunkusumo

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: WTA: Need advise, engine is getting hot very quickly(New

@Jayel and pumps:

Can you help me step by step how to measure the temperature of the engine or is there any link for it?? with picture perhaps so I can be sure when I do it .. its my first bike Smile

thank you

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: WTA: Need advise, engine is getting hot very quickly(Newbie)

I have a infared thermometer (point and shoot) but just holding a oven type thermometer against the head next to the sparkplug would work, ride it until warm then hold the thermometer to get a reading
Pramudito.mangunkusumo

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WTA: Need advise, engine is getting hot very quickly(New

@Jayel

Thank you for helping, I just measure the heat and it's normal Smile maybe it's just because i live in the tropics

but its very hard to find neutral or switch to gear 1 if the engines is hot, is the Needle Bearing with Thrust Washer from mikexs is really solve this problem??

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: WTA: Need advise, engine is getting hot very quickly(Newbie)

it will help, as will proper clutch adjustment and proper cable routed (up from case to the inside of left carb, crossing over to right side of frame tube above carbs, up to steering stem, then up thru the upper fork clamp to handlebar) good fresh oil helps too, mikes newer clutch worm gear has a slightly longer throw to separate the plates a bit more too
tacoswild

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WTA: Need advise, engine is getting hot very quickly(New

That's your first bike? Please be careful for your sake and the bike's! Even the grips look to be original!

Edit: Oh I'm looking at the picture of the missing piece, that must be someone else's bike. Be careful anyways! Very Happy
Pramudito.mangunkusumo

PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: WTA: Need advise, engine is getting hot very quickly(New

@Jayel

ok I'll try to get one of those and check my cable routed .. once again thank you i'll post the update

@tacoswild

my bike is the one in the center, the other images i got it from internet just to show the parts i need

hope the owner is not mad, i'll remove it if i have too

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1