650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

650 Rider verses 650 Garage
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Mikesxs

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 5:15 pm    Post subject: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Mike Lalonde of Mikes XS Here
In responce to the Negative commentators on 650 garage by the technical experts who Control every topic on 650 Garage and who never have anything but criticism of my products. I post on 650rider Only since you guys control everything on 650 Garage ( I exclude pamcopete) and I believe that 650 Rider was even created due to your restrictions.
I started my business in a 650 Society Newsletter with 2 items made in Japan and Now have about 1600 parts made mostly now in Taiwan since the Japanese have abandoned almost all old bike parts Production. XS650 Garage Experts, What have you done ? Nothing!
Parts fit applications listed, Not what you would like them to.
How many XS's would be on the road now ? Not Many !
I have 5 Million Dollars of XS650 parts in stock today and they never stop selling as there is worldwide demand and I fill 98 percent of that demand.
I am in sight of having everything popular for the XS650 and have now turned my sights to Honda CB750's - Let the new criticism begin !
As for Stainless Spokes , suppliers fed mainly the Harley market but after chasing the top maker for 2 years to supply and after the HD market collapsed suppliers are now are happy to supply someone who puts his money where his mouth is. Those who can, Do, those who can't criticize.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I dont visit 650garage much anymore .. It all gets a bit too lost in techno-gabble.. Rolling Eyes
gradually losing intrest... God help me...

Last edited by xs1961 on September 9, 2009, 12:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Can't imagine most of these guys fixing their XS's without ya..........as a matter of fact I can't imaging some of these guys fixing their XS's... Surprised ...but they are trying.... ......... Mike they might be jealous... good and smart job.....

Better freedom of speech here for sure........ I would say that......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I've never been over there so I don't know what they say, but I do know that every business has its detractors. So I suspect they're just telling you you've arrived.
Photo Gallery
highspeedhamish

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I for one appreciate your parts. I have made several orders in the past month or so and have several more to do. Without the engine parts the project Im doing would not happen or force me to find better than what I have currently and take a chance.

I agree with Xjwmx... I think people are jealous. Also since the only competition is the Dealer they feel trapped. However, the dealer is more costly and a longer wait time.. not to mention, they cant get most of the parts you have anyways.

Continue on with your service and good luck with the Honda stuff.

penn71911

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

My xs wouldn't be my daily rider without Mikesxs, that's for sure... I've got quite a few of your parts on this ol' gal. As for the Cb750 parts... bring it on, I've got one of them too that needs a little tlc... Thanks for the great service Mike.

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I couldn't agree more, if certain members at the garage had a decent poo, their heads would collapse!

Not to say that the vast majority of members there aren't fine folk, just the bullish minority!

Keep up the good work Mike, and 650riders!

PS I had been considering this for a short while, & have just deleted my account at the garage!

Last edited by yamaman on September 4, 2009, 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Keep up the good work there Mike. We all appreciate what you've done and continue to do.
twinsarehot

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Their forum looks like it's designed and run by a 12 year old. Talk about an excessive amount crap threads.
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

twinsarehot wrote:
Their forum looks like it's designed and run by a 12 year old. Talk about an excessive amount crap threads.

To be fair, there is a lot of good information in the garage, and it's only a select few that carry on..............Just it seems they are untouchable, if you stand up to them, you get threats of excommunication...........

gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Yamaman is right in saying it's only a few, but how many bad apple's spoil the rest. Thank you to Mr. LaLonde, without whom my girl woulda been scrap! There are a couple that frequent this site, Pamco Pete & 650 twin's come to mind, but they seem to be an ok bunch. I am on that site as well, but this site I go to everyday, and do pass some of what I learned on to the newcomer's. I even get a good laugh at some of the 'shout' crap, I just can't believe what I read there. So, again a BIG THANK YOU to Mike's. Smile
grant

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

As far as this site goes....yes, it's laid back an I for one use this site 99% more than Garage. As far as MikesXS, anybody who rides one of these bikes needs him. Thanks Mike!
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I'd like to say congratulations Mike on both your business and your website. One can only imagine how many long hours you have put in to bring your company up to this level.

I've bought many parts, which has allowed me to really enjoy the XS650. Good luck on any new product lines you start.

jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I know who we're talking about. I hear 'em all the time telling newbies not to waste our experts' time by posting factually inaccurate requests for help. I hear 'em down on my case because sometimes I post stuff about the XS650 that's factually inaccurate. None of THEM ever make factual errors. They all know EVERYTHING about the XS650 and THEY all have total recall.

Their time is too, too important to waste and they never want anybody to post off-topic or tell stories or in other ways goof off here -- unless it's their friends. If their friends tell stories and post off-topic, that's OK. But if anybody else does, they're all over him like stink on a Harley.

So I'll come out and say it plain: It's the inexperienced builders who spend money on tools and parts. The experts already have their tools, and they make a lot of their own parts. In the year and a half I been here, I've dropped upwards of $2000 on guys like Mike and 3M, and another $3000 on tools. I'd like to hear some of these "expert" sumbitches say the same before they get down on people for posting off topic and asking foolish questions. The new builders need the experts, it's true. But the experts need the new guys just as much, even if the so-called experts are too dumb to know it.

I spent many years in the service business -- as a truck driver, as an import car mechanic, as a computer technician, as a writer. Among the things I learned are all of those old saws: "Service with a smile. The customer is always right. There's no such thing as a stupid question, etc." A lot of these "experts" ought to keep those things in mind. You can't pick fights with customers and stay in the service business.

Without the new guys and the foolish things they say, people like Mike and 3M don't sell as much stuff, and the site goes down over time. Without the occasional off-topic post, people don't have much fun and people don't hang around in places that are no fun.

ike is right. Experts can wreck a site when they quit being cheerful and start conniving to run the whole show.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

One more thing to Mike: I hear you say you're breaking into the CB750 market. That's the best news I've heard in years.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Mike, I couldn't get my old XS running without you. You'll never make all the people happy all of the time. Keep on doing what you do. CB750s huh? Will you sell a lowering kit? LOL

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I have been on both forums as well as several others. I have been involved with groups face to face.
There is one thing in common with all these groups. They are made up of people.
In any group of people, some claim they know everything about the subject. Often these are the people to ignore.
Some of us know a little, want to learn more, and help those who don't know as much.
I have learned much about my 650 from both forums. Both have their strong points and weak points. I will still be on both, I have much more to learn.
As far as Mike's goes I have and will continue to get parts from him. I have found some things haven't worked out as well as I had hoped. I have found that parts from any seller sometimes need a little tweaking to be right, even new parts for new bikes.
I can't complain about Mike getting a few parts that aren't as good as they could be. Every seller has the same problems.
I thank Mike's for all the things on my bike that came from him, everytime I ride.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
blackwidow

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I'm glad mikesxs is around

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Mike, you are doing a great job. We are fortunate to have you looking after our needs to maintain our classic equipment. Keep on your suppliers to maintain the highest level of quality and we'll maintain our patronage. There's no one else who has stepped forward to do what you've done on such a scale.

Best Regards,

1979 XS650 2F0
Mikesxs

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Thanks for the Kind words Guys.
I was already retired from the Bike Business when Mikes XS was started
(an accident) and just let it keep on going as I always owned and liked the XS650.
Somehow it has got to the point where we almost have become a bike maker and have tried to obtain stock original quality parts ( or improved parts) for these primitive old stone Axes. Things made in the good old days often were not that good so those expecting quality, performance and designs of late model superbikes need to buy a new bike.
I am going to let others do the CB750 parts selling but I am sourcing and directing the parts purchasing. The drop in the worldwide economy has slowed parts deliveries considerably but we still have some really neat items coming. Hundreds of factories supply us the parts we special order so we can not be there always and sometimes makers seem to be doing ours always on a Monday. We keep on. Mike @ Mikes XS
mmarm300

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I am a certified Harley Technician and am completely new to Yamaha's and especially to my xs650. I have bought all my parts(2 big orders in the last month) from Mikesxs and have nothing but good things to say. Even with my Harley knowledge, yamahas are a totally different beast and this site has been wonderful (Retired Gentleman, Pamcopete, etc) with the technican know how. I have never been on the garage site and from what im hearing im never going there. Thanks Mikes and all the members here who have helped my project. P.S. Maybe its me but the CD service manual i have is terrible and all your help has been perfect.
jscribner

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I've spent a lot of money on parts from MikesXs and his Paul Bertaut. My XS(Big Bore) wouldn't be running without those parts. So I have to say "thank-you" to both Mike (and Paul) also. I'm also on the Garage on occasion, and I've seen the antagonism that Mike refers to. There is really just a small number of cranky old guys giving that site a bad rep. I try here, on Bobbertalk.com (a decent bunch of mostly young guys who like the XS also), and this site not to be a 'cranky' old guy..... I have learned a heck of a lot from this site, and hope that no one gets their feathers ruffled when I pass that knowledge off to other newbs who have questions.
John Scribner
benztech

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I've ordered many parts from mikesxs. it's nice cause i'm roughly 2hrs away so I get my stuff next day. my only complaint is that I was never able to get the forks sealing to go in, resulting in a cracked fork tube. I lost roughly 150$ in this ordeal and emailed mikesxs with no response.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

..Edited out..
Some people dont get the joke,, Rolling Eyes

gradually losing intrest... God help me...

Last edited by xs1961 on September 9, 2009, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3