650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?
    Forum Index -> Frames
C-LosSD

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 12:09 am    Post subject: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

I have been trying to figure out what I have. I recently bought a 79 and based on my frame number 2F0-155XXX and the charts in the vault it's a 1979 650XSF "Standard" But, it looks like I have a "Special" frame by the looks of my passenger peg and the shock mount. I know the PO swapped out some parts, like adding a standard tank and the special wheels. Reason why is, I want to swap out the seat with Mikes XS Sport/Cafe seat but it is listed to fit 1974-79 "Standard" models ....so what do I have...a special or standard?

Thanks.
highspeedhamish

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

www.mikesxs.net/XS_Mod..._Chart.pdf

I would say by the passenger peg mounts that you have a Special model.

ost specials came with mags and the gas cap was offset versus in the center of the tank.

Not to mention you have a dual disc setup but that would / might have came with the wheels from the PO.

xsleo

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

On 650 central's chart a 2FO-15xxxx is a 79 XS650SF this makes it a special.
The disc brake on the rear is stock to the specials.
With the seat opens to the side it is either the standard or the special II. They used the hinged seat.
The specials used a seat that unlatch and came off.
It looks like the PO changed the bars, added the second disc and caliper on front.
It has features of all three models.
If you want to try Mike's seat, try contacting him before you buy.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

That tank looks to have a to steep/high back end for a Special tank, could have the Standard 77 tank,

Nice Bike Cool
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

xsleo wrote:
On 650 central's chart a 2FO-15xxxx is a 79 XS650SF this makes it a special.
The disc brake on the rear is stock to the specials.
With the seat opens to the side it is either the standard or the special II. They used the hinged seat.
The specials used a seat that unlatch and came off.

Small but certain point of correction Leo......1978 and 1979 Specials had hinged side opening seats as did their 78 E and 79 F model Special II's. The Special II's had spoked wheels with drum braked rear wheels and are now often referred to it seems as "Standards". Beats me as to why?? These years both models still had BS 38mm carbs and points ignitions still also. Principal point is that 78 79 Specials had hinged stepped seats and cast wheels with 16 inch rear disc brakes.

y bet is that this is one of the two years that MikesXS does not yet have a new aftermarket hinged Special seat to fit. Watch ebay 78 SE and 79 SF interchange. About the only way to pick up a hinged 78' or 79' stepped seat that I've found

I believe it was with the 1980 SG model that the latched take off seat was introduced. Also the year that CDI electronic ignition and those 34mm shiny tin top carbs that XS John loves so much were introduced. The year that the cast wheel Specials returned to a drum rear brake though a 16 inch one, I believe.

This bike appears to have started it's journey as a 79 SF from what I can tell. Only difference I've found is a lights on/off switch on the 78 SE and no switch on the 79 SF. Wiring diagrams are different thereby. Best, Blue

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

My old '79 was a special -- disk brake on the rear. Now, 20 years later, I bought this '81 though I was amazed that they'd gone back to drum brakes on the rear. Anybody know why in the world they did that?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

probably had them made up and needed to get rid of them somewhere, disc rear on these 650's are overkill anyway
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

Agreed on the rear disc but: it is a way better brake. Perhaps a little too sensitive for the rear. Just winging it... I'd guess the reversion to be a cost driven change. Anybody know for sure ? Blue

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

I believe it is a special frame.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

I like the disk because you don't have to pull the wheel apart to service the brake pads and there is NO adjustment, period.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

79F - 2F0-150101 Standard
79SF - 2F0-250101 Special
79-2F - 4F0-250101 Special 2

this is the only year that 3 models were released
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

I much prefer a rear disk brake (front disk as well). Its powerful and easy to modulate. Very easy to maintain, no adjustment. Its a good feeling to know that if I'm going down a steep mountain road and the front brake quits, I still have a disk brake on the rear.

Us older guys remember when cars had drum brakes on all 4 wheels. They were absolutely terrible. When cars went to front disks it was a huge improvement, and when cars went to 4 wheel disks it was again another step improvement.

jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

You bet, RG. It's just another example of the Europeans and the Japanese being ten years ahead of Detroit with just about every good thing. Motown used to charge arm-breaking prices for "options" that came loaded standard on the cheapest Japanese sedans -- stuff like variable-speed, pulsing windshield wipers, dashboard clocks that actually worked (Wow! what a concept!) AM-FM stereo -- the list goes on and on.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

I'm not being rude here, I know you guys have your own version of English, disc or disk?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

yamaman wrote:
I'm not being rude here, I know you guys have your own version of English, disc or disk?
yeah like of interchangable just depends on if it's C or K's turn next either works for me

kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

The 79 standard did not have a fuse block, only a single inline fuse ( or at least on mine that's the case)

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

Getting off track with the car history.

Your bike has a Special Frame, (foot peg), was the ID no you quoted from the frame or the motor, that no does not match up with a Special frame. The frame no is stamped on the neck. The 78/79 Special seats fit the standard but the 78/79 seats have a slightly different latch and don't clip in. Could change the latch mechanisms over but have not tried that.
Have you checked in the Vault under "Models ID Charts " on page 2 to help with ID no's
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

yamaman wrote:
Leaves us only one way to settle this critical matter....sabers at dawn (or is that sabres?) Best, Blue

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

Disk or Disc? Apparently the word was spelled Disk when it first came into use in the middle 17 th century. However in the mid 18 th century the spelling Disc also came into use. So, looks like both spellings are correct.

English language has some quirks to it. For example, we all know neighbour is the correct spelling, and yet some people spell it neighbor, so go figure Smile

C-LosSD

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

650skull wrote:

Your bike has a Special Frame, (foot peg), was the ID no you quoted from the frame or the motor, that no does not match up with a Special frame. The frame no is stamped on the neck. The 78/79 Special seats fit the standard but the 78/79 seats have a slightly different latch and don't clip in. Could change the latch mechanisms over but have not tried that.
Have you checked in the Vault under "Models ID Charts " on page 2 to help with ID no's

The ID number is from the frame. I have a 2F0-212XXX motor so it has been changed. The PO is not much help since that is the way he bought it. I have looked at various charts and cannot get a difinitive answer. The one listed below says it's standard but the passenger peg and shock mount says it a special.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

First time I saw it spelled "disk" was on a box of 3.5" floppies.

Since then, I've lost track of which is correct in which instance.

Is a discussion of "disc" v. "disk" more relevant than car history?
C-LosSD

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

650skull wrote:

I hope it's as easy as changing the latch. Anyone else try it?
xsleo

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

I was going by the parts list at the Yamaha site to determine the model configurations.
At the Yamaha site the Special has the rear disc brake /mag wheels, lift off seat, square mirrors.
The special II had a hinged seat, square mirrors, spoked wheels with drum brake.
The standard is the same as the special II but the mirrors are oval.
This is what the Yamaha parts list show.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have a 79 Standard or Special?

xsleo.
The 78SE/79SF specials had disk brakes front and back with mag wheels,points ignition with a hinged seat, and metal side covers that only came out for these 2 years and the 80G Special2

The 79 Special2 had points ignition spoke wheels with a 16 in rear with a drum brake, hinged seat, and the same metal side covers the 78/79 Specials had

The 79 Standard had points ignition, spoke wheels with an 18in on the back with a drum brake, hinged seat part no# 2FO - 24780-90-00.............. 78 Standard seat part no# IT3 - W2472-00-00

The 80 SG Special Had the Yamaha electronic ignition plastic side covers, mag wheels, disk brakes, front and back, lift off seat

The 80G Special 2 Had the Yamy ignition Spoke wheels with a 16in on the back with a drum rear, disks on the front, metal side covers and a hinged seat

If you have any different info with data then let me know so it can be Crossed reference
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1