650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > what just happened? blown head gasket?

what just happened? blown head gasket?
    Forum Index -> Engine
mynameismudd

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 9:25 pm    Post subject: what just happened? blown head gasket?

she was running so damn good and on the way home tonight i thought she was running out of gas, turned to reserve and got to the gas station and i had plenty?......oh s*** something bigger?!! looked at the motor an oil all over the carbs.started her up to move it to the side of the store and she popping out of the carbs with oil and blowing oil on the tire also. so is it the head gasket or what. couldn't get up with my bro, and my truck is down so i had to ride her home just a few miles down the road and BARELY made it.
but ... i got her to bed and started an i.v. drip, haha Confused anywho i need to know what i have to do to fix her PLEASE help

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery
mynameismudd

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

ok i got out there for some diagnostics and found it's not the head gasket
but.....oil it coming from the back ? valve on the right side.
i removed the carbs and all the oil is there. so..... what the hell does that mean? at this point i'm thinking i wish it was the head Shocked
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 13, 2009, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
mynameismudd

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

ok so what is it that i need here 5twins? from what i have gathered this evening it is one of anyof the following, the inlet valve assembly,exhaust valve assembly. one way or another the oil is getting past the the valve(s)
the let oil into the intake ports

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 13, 2009, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
mynameismudd

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

well i performed the flashlight in the spark plug hole test and there is was.....
a hole in the piston head. so i know what i have to do, now what do i need from mikes to complete the task. a very specific list would be great and a break down of cost with federal and state taxes Very Happy ok but really any help would be great ( except the BEATLES' "HELP" Wink 5twins )thaqnks alot guys

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery
bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

mynameismudd wrote:
she was running so damn good

That is your problem there, if something is running "damn good" it is gonna break. Just my experience anyways, too good to be true then BAM walking home.
mynameismudd

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

bbjsw10 wrote:
mynameismudd wrote:
she was running so damn good

That is your problem there, if something is running "damn good" it is gonna break. Just my experience anyways, too good to be true then BAM walking home.

too funny, but you're damn right about that Smile
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

If you shop around a bit you may find the parts a bit cheaper. I got my 1st over pistons off ebay for 1/2 what Mike's charges.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
mynameismudd

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

so i do have to get one overs, xsleo?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

If it were mine I would suspect those epa'd carbs were a bit lean and the timing a bit advanced.....not a good combination there......as an option maybe you could find a set of used barrels and pistons on ebay and make those above mentioned corrections......didn't see any at the moment but they are there pretty regular......

trying to cruise on those lean pilots ...and worsening the situation with pods is a recipe for disaster...if that was the case......and the timing I have found on the TCI bikes is a bit advanced.......not quite sure why they did that but it can be corrected................

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
mynameismudd

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

xsjohn wrote:
If it were mine I would suspect those epa'd carbs were a bit lean and the timing a bit advanced.....not a good combination there......

xsjohn

so if this is the case, what could cause the piston damage? the valve?

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

mynameismudd wrote:
so i do have to get one overs, xsleo?

You can't buy parts till you know what you need!
Pistons have to fit the holes your putting them in! "Do I need first o/s pistons" is like asking if you need a bigger penis, it depends where your putting it!

You need to disassemble, and see what you've got. Probably take your pistons & barrels to a machinist, he'll tell you whether to go up a size (or more) or keep the size you currently have. (which could be any size)!

So first move is pull it down to the point where the pistons are in your hands, then assess what you've got & need then! Cheers.

mynameismudd

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

fair enough and well put Very Happy i will talk with you later today
thanks

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

I was just saying you can get parts less than Mike's charges. You need to find out what you need before you start buying parts.
There are some things you can start gathering up. Stuff like gasket sets, seal sets, things like that.
I might suggest getting a new cam chain, maybe the front guide. Easier to put them in while the engine is apart, than pull it back apart, Like I did, just to darn impatient to wait.
If you find a good machine shop, and you do need boring. It won't cost to much. I had a local place do mine for $35 per hole. They build engines for a lot of the local racers. I figured if they can build a race car engine they should be able to bore my jugs just fine.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
mynameismudd

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: what just happened? blown head gasket?

Update: i got the the motor out and torn down and had the cylinders miked.
ordered and received all part minus the cam chain, link and gaskets from mike's. should be getting those tomorrow. so in the process i decided to rebuild the whole damn thing from the ground up. new tires, paint, wire and
a couple other small things. will be getting her back together this week.
i'll post some pics under bobbers

my name is mudd
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1