650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts
    Forum Index -> Electrical
C-LosSD

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 12:08 pm    Post subject: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

Hello, I am a new owner of a 79 XS650. This is a great site and have found lots of useful info. Now here is my issue...the PO had the bike setup up for kick start only. It does kick over fine, but I want to have the electric start option. I also need help in identifying some electrical connectors while I wait for the service manual to come in the mail.

On the right side, I think I am missing the starter relay/safety relay, and there is 4-pin connector that is not plugged into anything. Also, on the starter solenoid, I am missing a cable and I think it connects to the starter motor, but where is the connection for the starter motor.
On the left side, there are two connectors that are just dangling...what are they for? Thanks for any help you can offer.

left side.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.6 KB
 Viewed:  1356 Time(s)

left side.jpg

right side.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.97 KB
 Viewed:  310 Time(s)

right side.jpg

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

on your right side pic top arrow is the starter relay should have a heavy 6 guage wire down to the starter motor, the plug-in on that side should be for the safety relay, use this wiring diagram to check wire colors on the different plugs that will tell what shoud be plugged into each plug-in

79xs650sf&2f.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.6 KB
 Viewed:  388 Time(s)

79xs650sf&2f.jpg

xsleo

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

It looks like to PO did a few other mods. The combo reg/rect Is not a 79 stock item. The finned grey box in your left side pic.
The upper plug i think went to the reserve lighting unit, the two wires hooked together just above the plug are a bypass.
If the PO changed the harness to a later model harness to make using the combo reg/rect easier. The lower plug could have gone to a starting circuit cut relay or a side stand relay. This is from an 82 diagram. It's the only diagram I have that shows a 4 wire plug.
On the 82 the starting circuit cut relay and the side stand relay work with a clutch switch, a side stand switch and the neutral light. The electric start won't work unless the bike is in neutral or the clutch pulled. I think it will also effect the running of the bike too, If put in gear without the side stand up the engine quits.
Some one with a bike with all that stuff working can tell you more about.
You might want to talk to the PO about the changes made.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
C-LosSD

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

Unfortunatly the PO doesn't anthing about the wiring, but I do believe its a newer harness. Do you think it will be difficulty to get the electric starter to work if I source the parts or will the upgraded harness give me a problem since the starting circuit cut relay or a side stand relay is not plugged in. What is the prpoper name or part number for the missing part pictured below? If anyone is in the San Diego area, I got a case of beer for you so I can check out your wiring.

relay.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.45 KB
 Viewed:  680 Time(s)

relay.jpg

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

I'm not familiar with that plug on the left but will tell you that it is best to have the wire on your starter fed up thru the frame to the solenoid when you install the starter. On mine there is not enough room to put the wire on after the starter is installed. To test, you should be able to push the start button and get voltage on that terminal on the solenoid on the right that you arrowed to in your second picture..

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

what are the colors of the wires in those plugs right and left sides?
C-LosSD

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

I'll take some better pics and post up soon.
C-LosSD

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

jayel wrote:
what are the colors of the wires in those plugs right and left sides?

Here are some better pics of the wiring. I'm hoping that all I need to do is buy a safety relay(based on the diagram above) plug it in to the connection on the right side and connect a 6ga cable from the starter solenoid to the starter motor. I think the pic on the left side is the reserve light connector based on the diagram. Why would the blue/green and blue/black be spliced together?

left wiring.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.31 KB
 Viewed:  300 Time(s)

left wiring.jpg

right wiring.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.86 KB
 Viewed:  262 Time(s)

right wiring.jpg

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

looks like you have a wiring harness off a 82 or 83, there is only one connection on the starter motor ....
650rider.com/index.php...0703&pos=3

some wires have been inter-connected to eliminate light checker ect.

cable routing right side.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.4 KB
 Viewed:  757 Time(s)

cable routing right side.jpg

t_right_wiring.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.89 KB
 Viewed:  302 Time(s)

t_right_wiring.jpg

left side.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.34 KB
 Viewed:  289 Time(s)

left side.jpg

gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

Those wire's are spliced together so the headlite work's. That's how to bypass the reserve lighting unit.
C-LosSD

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

So based on my wiring now, if I just connect the upper cable on the starter solenoid to the starter motor I should be able to use the electric start? Are there any other splicing I should worry about?
Really appreciate all the help guys...thanks
xsleo

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

The Plug on the right side is for the safety relay and headlight relay. They are both mounted together on one plate that bolts into the two holes on the side of the battery box. The yamaha # 2F0-81950-50-00 . thats 2F zero not O
They used it from 77 to 83.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

Some of the folks in the bobber or chopper section my have one.

Photo Gallery
C-LosSD

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

xsleo wrote:
The Plug on the right side is for the safety relay and headlight relay. They are both mounted together on one plate that bolts into the two holes on the side of the battery box. The yamaha # 2F0-81950-50-00 . thats 2F zero not O
They used it from 77 to 83.

So looks like I need the part below for the right side. Now what about a Starter Circuit Cutoff relay for the left side, will I need that as well?

Thanks

relay1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.63 KB
 Viewed:  248 Time(s)

relay1.jpg

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

would be a good idea saves the starter gears/motor from over-running when the engine starts
xsleo

PostPosted: August 20, 2009, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New member and need help ID'ing electrical parts

I wouldn't worry about the starter circuit cut relay. The safety / head light relay yes.

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1