650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > My son FINALLY expressed an interest.

My son FINALLY expressed an interest.
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
1ironhead

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 10:56 am    Post subject: My son FINALLY expressed an interest.

He's 25 and engaged.Growing up,he was into skate boarding,snow boarding,soccer and he's one hell of a musician.He's now a graphic designer and part time drum instructor.He ,as a kid,was very self centered and was always wanting (NEVER satisfied).Somewhere along the line,he did a complete turn around and is now very thrifty(like his sister always was).He always thought it was cool that his dad rode but never expressed and interest even though a couple of his buddies had dirt bikes.He learned on theirs but didn't want one of his own(WTF?).Esterday we met for lunch and he told me he was considering a bike or scooter to save on gas.He'd tall and rather thin(never much into manual labor).He was concerned that a bike might be too much and was leaning toward a scooter.This morning,while loading stuff for the flea market,I sat on one of the 74 TX's with him in mind.I think it would be perfect for him after he completes a motorcycle safety course.Also,at an end of a memorial bike run yesterday(not having one on the road,I sat with my truck,ramp and tie downs in case someone broke down),I got to talking with a kid w/a hydraulic suspension truck that was custom painted.Came to find out he was one of my son's best friends in school(he was there with his dad,also an ironworker,and his mom.They were all exited to find out he was my son.This was about 30 miles from where my son lived.Once finished ,he will be doing my paint and pin striping.Me and his mom separated when he was about 8.I stayed about 3 miles from the kids till they graduated school but missed gettin to know their friends.I WOULD LOVE TO RIDE AND SHARE WITH MY SON !!! This has been a very good weekend.
Teebs

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: My son FINALLY expressed an interest.

Ironhead, very cool.

I had a similar experience with my 17 year old this week. He lives about 200 miles from me, grew up mostly with his mom and sister, and has never expressed any interest in anything mechanical or physical. He spends most of his time on the computer etc.
A few days ago he calls me and asks if I'll show him how to weld... no idea why, but who cares, just happy to see some interest in something that will get him out of the house and into the garage.

I have similar hopes of getting my son into riding... maybe even building!
Joseph

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My son FINALLY expressed an interest.

Ya that is cool..I'm 35 now and my old man died when I was 23 we were always friends but at that age you are more equals and can learn allot from each other. The relationship was just starting to turn, I was appreciating him more and more. I am just grateful he made it to my 23, allot of children including some friends I grew up with, there dads were out of the picture. So you guys with children don't let them get away with out spending time with you because once your gone they'll wish they did. I have still an awesome mother and brother.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1