650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > AGM Battery recomendation?

AGM Battery recomendation?
    Forum Index -> Electrical
jerm

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 9:47 am    Post subject: AGM Battery recomendation?

Does anyone recommend one over the other? Thanks.
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

I've had excellent results with the XS Power AGM battery from Mikes and also a favorite supplier Battery Stuff in Oregon. There are times when one or the other does not have them in stock. I'll assume you have the MIkesXS link so here's Battery Stuff's......and the specific battery page

www.batterystuff.com/b...HL-BS.html

BOL they're both excellent. A battery tender would also be a good idea and be sure to use the low and slow charging amps rate recommended for AGM's. Blue

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

I got mine from a local store called Battery's Plus. rode the bike into town and swapped in the new one in the parking lot. Defiantly the way to go, no more acid leaking out and rusting my bike and wrecking my jeans.

I believe AGM last a lot longer than a regular battery. I got 3 years out of the Normal battery. I replaced it this spring. They said that was good and many people only get 1 or 2 years.

I have a Sealed Type battery in my Suburban that is 8 years old. I will not buy the old tech battery's any more. no more fuzzy cable connections for me. They are more vibration resistant.
Photo Gallery
Skip

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

The AGM battery is well worth the money.
I believe it is one of the best up-grades you can do on old technology.
I am on the 3rd year on mine and still going strong!
Go for it jerm!!

Please check out my wifes web site!
www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

The AGM battery in my Harley ran 5 years.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jerm

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

We all agree that AGM is superior, but I am curious about the different manufactureers. Mikes, batteries plus, big crank, etc.
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

All...

I am expecting mine to arrive tomorrow, on the recommendation of many here. I have a little motorcycle battery charger that goes into maintenance mode after the battery reaches full charge. Will it be safe for use with the new AGM? And when it says that the AGM is ready for use, do I still have to charge it upon arrival/installation?

Thanks!

TC
Photo Gallery
Skip

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

TeeCat
The AGM battery should be "good to go "when you receive it.
Just ask when you pick it up,or just put a voltmeter on it.Should be close to 12 volts or you may want to put a little trickle charge in it if it's not at 12 volts.
Your current charger should work just fine with the AGM.
Take it from me TC,you will not be dissapointed the your new battery!
y Deka AGM is on it's 3rd season and is just as good as day1

www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

Skip, thank you! I'm especially glad to know that I don't have to get a specialty charger.

I suppose what I'll do, then, is install it, and my voltmeter that I recently installed on the bike will give me an idea.

Now I'll have a really good battery and an indication of what my charging system is doing... good, cheap insurance, I feel.

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

Well, I should be good to go now, as I received and installed my correct AGM battery. Out of the box, it was reading almost right at 12 volts with the headlamp and taillight on. I plan to investigate how to rewire the headlamp as stock, and I need to see if the switch works.

I also put some Mike's offset pods on, til I can find the K&Ns that 5 twins recommended, to replace the K&N "oilcan" ones that didn't fit any more and were really too big anyway. But the offset ones would not allow my side covers to go back on, so I had to install the filters upside down. That worked.

Thanks to all who helped me with the battery troubles.

Also: Does anyone from MD need a week-old Power Source battery with the neg terminal on the left (if installed facing the rear of the bike)? I paid about $90 for it locally, but now can't use it. I can't ship it because it's activated/charged, but if you need it I'll give you a break.

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

Took the bike out for about 45 minutes today. The new AGM battery started with a tad less that 12 volts out of the box, with the head and taillamps on, but when I got back, it was at around 13 with just the key on! Smile

The bike ran beautifully today too. Not a drop of anything under her either... knock on...

aybe I'm getting there.

TC
Photo Gallery
Skip

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

Tee Cat,
The best part of working on these old bikes for, me any way,is getting the 30 plus old machine past the point of doing what has to be done ,and geting to the point of doing what you want to do!
Last weekend I attended a motorcycle rally in Digby which is about 200 miles one way form Timberlea.I rode my 31 year old bike down there with nothing more than a small screw driver for some pilot tweaking and a quart of oil (just in case).The bike worked perfect and I was one of over 22.000 motorcycles which literally takes the town over for the weekend. I have attended all but one of the 5 years it has been in existance.
What I am getting at is that of the 22,000 bikes and thier owners I would bet a very few would know thier machines as I know mine.
Sure there was alot of nice bikes of all kinds,HD,Honda, Yamaha,Kawasaki,sport bikes,British bikes.you name it and it was there,and thier owners in thier leathers which are worth half of what anyone would pay for a restored antique Jap bike.
But there I am in my Punker Route 66 leather jacket and my 31 year old bike and I am proud to say I have played a large part of what my bike is today.
These bikes can be a love/hate relationship thats for sure,but the bad days will make you appriciate the good days!
Keep at it TeeCat! Your getting there!

www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

Skip, that sounds like a blast, and an adventure as well!

I completely agree with you on all counts. In two years, I have gone from "must do's" to polishing bits... with a hopefully diminishing number of "musts".

You're especially correct about the beauty of getting to know your bike. I'm getting there, but am still trying to get that confidence in my bike and my own ability. I'm especially timid of electrical systems because, in spite of all my reading, I just don't really "get it", and can really booger things up without too much effort.

TC
Photo Gallery
Skip

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

Tee Cat
Every job you tackle is a learning expearience!Don't be timid,be happy in the ability to do it!
As far as the electrical goes,when need be throw out a post!
There are some great guys with electrical knowledge who are always quick to help.
Guys like Retiredgentleman,Pamcopete and XSjohn just to name a few.
When these guys tell you something,listen! and be patience with yourself
One of my favorite sayings is "don't let your expectations surpass your abillities".
I remember your posts when you were working on the clutch pushrod seal and really feeling your fustration,but from Nova Scotia to Baltimore was quite a road trip to help you,but you got it and you did not give up! Remember the Love/ Hate relationship thing!

www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

Skip -

Quote::
As far as the electrical goes,when need be throw out a post!
There are some great guys with electrical knowledge who are always quick to help. Guys like Retiredgentleman,Pamcopete and XSjohn just to name a few.

Each of these guys has, I'm quite sure, been trying to figure out how to block my posts! Razz They all have "cerebral capital stock" in my bike! Razz

Quote::
I remember your posts when you were working on the clutch pushrod seal and really feeling your fustration,but from Nova Scotia to Baltimore was quite a road trip to help you,but you got it and you did not give up! Remember the Love/ Hate relationship thing!

Oh, that was the main OS seal and the crank seal. Damn... you remember that?! Embarassed First, I replaced the main OS seal and sorted that... but it was only part of the problem. Then I got the clutch operation pretty much sorted by installing a new actuator and cable. But then I still had a leak and replaced the crank seal IN SITU, mind you... first ever such surgery on this furum, I think! Then she started pushing oil out of a left front case joint, I suspect, so I reconfigured the breather box and fitted a Mike's reed valve... now she seems dry... knock on whatever's available... Wink Then I had an advance weight issue. Then she got a Pamco. Then RG helped me wire a voltmeter. Then all new cables. New saddle... New ace bars. New battery. And then... And then... Razz

Long way from stone cold dead with seeping petcocks in the back of a pick-um-up truck in August '07, yeah? Razz

I think the secret of my stamina comes from e-mentoring young people... especially the British kids. Man... you tell them what your name is and they'll ask you why and then tell you it ain't so. Razz (Love them to bits, tho.) So you have to be tough! Razz

TC
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

Tee Cat one way to build confidence in your bike and your wrenching skills is to take a long trip on a week end. Just get out and go for it. After a tank or three of gas your confidence will grow by leaps and bounds.
aybe pick a place three of four hundred miles away. Like a friends house, stay the night and come back the next day. If you like camping take a tent. Even a motel room. Just get out and do it.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery recomendation?

leo, that's a great thought, really. At this juncture, I'd be happy just for an accompanied ride... maybe a day trip or something like that.

The lack of that, to date, is really my fault in many respects; I have not been in touch with a lot of the people who might be interested in doing that because of my time constraints, as well as other choices I make that are more solitary in nature, such as guitar practice and my e-mentoring. But I'd like to take the TX on at least one day outing or so before winter comes.

TC
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1