650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > pods vs air boxes

pods vs air boxes
    Forum Index -> Fuel
bigfozz

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 7:38 pm    Post subject: pods vs air boxes

There seems to be heaps of confusion as to which is better. The original air boxes or pod filters.
When my bike was out of action due to the charging system i thought i might as well take the time and replace a bunch of other things. I was drawn to the pod filters on mikes xs because it said "performance" filters. Now i cant get my bike to run properly.. but it may be due to the rebuild kits i bought.
Since buying them, every mechanic I have spoken to said they are crap.
One of these guys gets paid by race teams to go to meets and tune their bikes. He swears by the original air boxes.
A couple of people said that i COULD re-jet to match the pod filters but I would be way better off just putting the Air boxes back on!
any thoughts?

Feel free to just direct me to an old thread if there is one.
cheers

nj1639

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: pods vs air boxes

Stock air boxes here, I modified them a bit with xsjohns' 'air box rocks' idea and thread. Seems the boxes would help support the carbs and I like the side covers.

Running stock exhaust with the crossover also. Nothing else seems to work as well for me. No more flat spots and decel popping.

Linked intakes, xsjohns needles, 46 pilots, 134 mains, 18/30 gearing, 8-1 compression, 64 Autolites, retarded timing, 'quick throttle' mod and the bike runs great.

Jack

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: pods vs air boxes

There are several advantages to an air box over pods,the filters don't become as dirty clogging up restricting air flow,when caught in the rain they remain dry, you have more area of volume to draw air from in conjunction with the cross over tube,there's no leaning out on one particular cylinder due cross winds or blockage of air flow and by enclosing the filters, it creates a higher vacuum at the inlet drawing in more air ,stabilizes the flow more evenly thus eliminating slide fluttering that occurs when using pods. Boxes can effect throttle response and engine output to some extent on certain engines.
blue900

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: pods vs air boxes

Performance is a tricky subject.
When I first got my bike I thought the boxes had to go after Checking it out on the web. I changed my mind and went with xsjohns air boxes mod to remove much of the restriction.
The biggys for me with pods riding in the rain is out ( sometimes rain happens if you ride a lot) If it sits in the garage its probably not a big deal.
The stock air boxes are quieter.
Be sure and keep all your old parts you or someone else may need them you never know. Ideas change. They do for me anyway

Joseph

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: pods vs air boxes

I have stock ari boxes and filters and just realized how restrictive the filter material is, which will defiantly Help with vacuum and stableise the slides as stated previously. I would like to Try stock air boxes with a less restrictive filter element. I'm going to try the bris and stat filter mod.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: pods vs air boxes

Get uni filter make your own material from parts unlimited (about $13.00) and a hot menlt glue gun. Material will make alot of filters and work very well. If more air is wanted also from parts unlimited is a nock out filter for your airbox. Its in the dirt catalog. This will alow for more air and keep all the rain etc out.
Jack

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: pods vs air boxes

Joseph wrote:
I have stock ari boxes and filters and just realized how restrictive the filter material is, which will defiantly Help with vacuum and stableise the slides as stated previously. I would like to Try stock air boxes with a less restrictive filter element. I'm going to try the bris and stat filter mod.

Get the K&N replacement filters,expensive but worth every penny.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1