650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Stripping and Polishing!

Stripping and Polishing!
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 13, 2005, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Stripping and Polishing!

Aluminum that is. Starting stripping my front fork lower legs and motor side cases this afternoon. So far so good!

strippingright.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.72 KB
 Viewed:  372 Time(s)

strippingright.jpg

strippingleft.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.81 KB
 Viewed:  363 Time(s)

strippingleft.jpg

strippingfront.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.85 KB
 Viewed:  357 Time(s)

strippingfront.jpg

Last edited by mo650chopper on May 6, 2005, 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 14, 2005, 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping!

Very nice, is it a lot of work to get the old crap off? What are you using?

I have been Daily riding my bike all winter to and from work and it looks like hell at the moment. I hope I can do some nice clean up work on it in the next few weeks.

This buying my first home is taking all my cash, not a dime to spare.

Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 14, 2005, 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping!

I'm using a "Brod Dugan" brand of stripper. It's a lot thicker and seems to work better than the cheap Walmart, Lowes stuff.
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 17, 2005, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping!

Close up front forks after stripping / polishing. They are 100% better than when I started. I ended up using the stripper twice, some pumich hand cleaner, 2 grades of rubbing compound then Mothers aluminum mag polish. Maybe a couple hours total of work. Now on to the engine covers.

y back ordered front tire finally made it in, the bike looks more balanced now.

forkpolishcloseup.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.13 KB
 Viewed:  441 Time(s)

forkpolishcloseup.jpg

Photo Gallery
kibokojoe
Site Reporter
Site Reporter

PostPosted: April 18, 2005, 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping!

Looking good.......How about somemore details. What types of compounds are you using? and where did you get the Brod Dugan stripper? Have you tried the 3M Scotch-Brite pads? I just found out that there are 3 grades of these pads. Medium, Very fine and Ultra fine. Since there is no metal in these pads they would be great for breaking down and quick cleaning of the surface. Are you using a wheel for buffing and polishing?

Ken
Photo Gallery
MUCMUC

PostPosted: April 27, 2005, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping!

for stripping alum you can also use alum brightner from a
semi trailer shop. it will get into the alum and get all the gunk out
then they polish up real nice with compond and a buffer

mucmuc

PostPosted: April 28, 2005, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping!

Hey Mo,
Sorry it's a little off the polishing subject, but where did you get the white wall tires?

mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 28, 2005, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping!

They're Maxxis Wide Whitewalls. I got them through my local bike shop. Any shop should be able to get them. Try the following link as J & P has them as well.

www.j-pcycles.com/prod...All&page=1

Photo Gallery
toddhalt

PostPosted: April 29, 2005, 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping!

mo650chopper wrote:
They're Maxxis Wide Whitewalls. I got them through my local bike shop. Any shop should be able to get them. Try the following link as J & P has them as well.

http//www.j-pcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=D88ADD8B-C830-4BF9-9EC0-8C46851A8470&search=maxxis&store=All&page=1
What size did you use and were there any clearance problems on the front or back?
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 29, 2005, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping!

I used the Following tires on my 1980 XS 650

215-009 Rear Tire 140/90H16 Wide White Wall
217-157 100/90 x 19" Front

I'm running a 140 and I can tell you, on a stock 80 Xs anyway, Your not gonna
fit any bigger tire between the chain and disc brake hold down, it fit but I moved my
brake hold down to the outside of the front tab for a little insurance room.

I had no problems on the front at all with the 100/90 x 19

Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 30, 2005, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping!

Cases are looking pretty good. I may go over the right one one more time with the "Mothers Mag Polish".

shiningnowright.jpg
 Description:
Right Case now.
 Filesize:  53.12 KB
 Viewed:  432 Time(s)

shiningnowright.jpg

shiningnowleft.jpg
 Description:
Left Case now
 Filesize:  54.2 KB
 Viewed:  446 Time(s)

shiningnowleft.jpg

Photo Gallery
kibokojoe
Site Reporter
Site Reporter

PostPosted: April 30, 2005, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping!

They look awesome.

Ok now you have to post how you did this in the "How to do" section of this site

Kibokojoe
Photo Gallery
turk64

PostPosted: August 10, 2005, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping and Polishing!

Wow that looks great!
Photo Gallery
threeballtony

PostPosted: April 19, 2006, 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping and Polishing!

I am stripping the finish off of my engine and the remains of a very abortive rattle can wrinkle paint job added by the previous owner. I have had graet results with the Aircraft finish remover sold @ wally world. It come in spray on or liquid. Having used both I recommend the liquid but be warned if it gets on you it will burn you, even if the dissolved paint chunks get on you it burns, and the vapors coming off of a open cup/dish can cause skin discomfort. BUT it works well doesnt do the oven cleaner discloration thing and it will take off the factory case and cover paint quickly, and on stubborn finishes a little fine steel wool will help it do thejob. Karl
tamaule

PostPosted: May 2, 2006, 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping and Polishing!

I was just looking at that stuff last night and was wondering how well it worked. Thanks for the post - I know what to do and how to do - Now I have stop being lazy and DO IT!

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1