650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > idles well puch it and it dies

idles well puch it and it dies
    Forum Index -> Fuel
miller0613

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 9:19 pm    Post subject: idles well puch it and it dies

I have been batttling this bike for a while now but it now is starting to anger me. Bike has been running erraticly for a while now but the more I ride it the better it runs. 200 mile ride no problems. Ride it to work and back let it sit for two days runs like crap. It will start and idle for 10 minutes then die. In this 10 minutes if you try to get on the throttle it will die. If you ease into it it will run until you get into lower rpms. Last I checked battery was 12.5 and charging 14-14.5 at 2500 so that leads me to fuel. K and N pod filters (real ones) and 2 into 1 exhaust 2 sizes up on the main jets. what are your thoughts
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: idles well puch it and it dies

Are you running fuel filters?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
schtipp

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: idles well puch it and it dies

take thepilot jets up a size.

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: idles well puch it and it dies

mine runs that way if i let it get too wet.

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: idles well puch it and it dies

I am running in line fuel filters. Schtipp do you mean like letting it sit in the rain? has not been in the rain recently
schtipp

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: idles well puch it and it dies

yes, mine acts up after a hard rain or a wash

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: idles well puch it and it dies

how long since you cleaned the carbs? maybe run a few tanks of sea foam see if it helps. maybe your battery isnt holding power.so riding everyday keeps it topped off. sitting might let it wear down. have it tested at auto zone.evn if only to rule it out. what size are your pilot jets. i would expect 2 sizes up on them as well?

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: idles well puch it and it dies

stock pilot jets ( don't know why I didn't change those also) and went through the carbs completely last year and have been running sea foam
battery is on the charger now might have been a little low

schtipp

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: idles well puch it and it dies

let me know if the fresh charge helps. i think it's your culprit. just because i'm nosy, how many turns out are your idle mix screws? i'm just surprised that you didn't have to change the pilot jets. if the charge helps i would definately have it load tested at autozone

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: idles well puch it and it dies

Well it was the battery I do not believe that I need to load test because after the charge I was testin the charge and found that the positive and neg connections were both loose it charges 13 at 1500 and 14.6 at 3000 so I think it was the bad connection the screws are 2 3/4 turns out
schtipp

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: idles well puch it and it dies

sweet dude, thanks for the prompt response. i like to see how things turn out so I can learn from it.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1