650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > electric start

electric start
    Forum Index -> Electrical
miller0613

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 6:40 pm    Post subject: electric start

I have been having many issues with my bike of late but I just found something to be odd. My electric start had quit working earlier this year no biggie bike kick over nicely. But I found that the electric start works (turns over ) if the carbs are off the bike. Carbs on not working. Is this just a weak battery or is there more to it?
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: electric start

miller0613,

Well, the handle bars are not grounded. The starter button and the horn button get a ground from a wire to the horn button which in turn is connected to the handlebars to send the ground over to the starter button. If the ground to the horn button is not there, then neither the horn nor the starter will work.

The carbs are not grounded either, but I suspect that you inadvertently grounded the throttle cable when you took off the carbs and the throttle cable is providing the missing ground to the handlebars.

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: electric start

the horn does work and it dims the lights a bit but I will try to ground it
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: electric start

miller0613,

Well, perhaps the ground wire does go to the horn button, but is not making contact with the handle bars, so try grounding the handlebars.

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: electric start

so I grounded the throttle cable to test and electric start works. Where is the ground wire for the electric start?
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: electric start

pamcopete wrote:
miller0613,

Well, the handle bars are not grounded. The starter button and the horn button get a ground from a wire to the horn button which in turn is connected to the handlebars to send the ground over to the starter button. If the ground to the horn button is not there, then neither the horn nor the starter will work.

Check the ground to the horn button to be sure that it also makes contact with the handle bars. That is the ground for the starter button.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: electric start

usually a large ring terminal (wire end) under one of the handle bar lower clamp bolts that mounts into the upper fork triple tree then into the headlight shell to wiring loom ground, will ground the handlebars, the little metalclip the horn button goes thru is supposed to touch the handlebars to provide ground, had a guy paint his bars and when everything quit working took him a while to figure it out

wire lead.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.16 KB
 Viewed:  283 Time(s)

wire lead.jpg

baclay9

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: electric start

On the same topic,

I ordered hand controls and a new wireing harness from Mikesxs. The right side hand control has a ground wire running to the plug but the harness is missing the ground in the coresponding plug. There is an empty terminal in the plug. Is that because I need to run a ground wire from that terminal to the frame?

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: electric start

probably a good idea
miller0613

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: electric start

allright so I figured out that that is the problem I have the black PAINTED daytona bars on my bike how can I go about grouning the electric start or handle bars so I am able to use the electric start? thanks
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: electric start

miller0613,

Well, you are going to have to scrape the paint off of some place on the handle bars, so you might as well do that where the horn button contact is supposed to ground the handle bars and also where the start button is supposed to get its ground from. Both these spots are hidden by the switch covers.

Alternatively, you could run a wire to a ground in the headlight bucket to the contact on the start switch that is supposed to be grounded to the handle bars. The horn button has its own ground.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: electric start

would also have to scrape paint to the bar mounting clamps, but you still need to run that wire otherwise you're trying to ground thru the cables or fork bearings
miller0613

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: electric start

I just ran a wire from inside the houseing through the loom behind the gauge cluster and grounded it there. The sandind the bars thing did not work for me
AlbinoAnt

PostPosted: November 4, 2009, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: electric start

so i need some help 2 i was riding yesterday and my start button way shorted out smoked the spring so the button is stuck in the on position got into the switch and cut the wires went to put in a new aftermarket push button connected it to the blue and white wire and the black wire fried that one.. get this to start my bike now the key has to be in the off position, the ign switch has to be set to run, you squeeze the front brake the bike starts then you turn the key to on to turn off the starter.. holy cow
mind you i followed the pretty colorful wiring diagram on this site to a t it worked perfectly till the button fried can someone help me to get this fixed
AlbinoAnt

PostPosted: November 4, 2009, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: electric start

fixed it my blu and white was bare and getting power straight from the battery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1