650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Slipping Clutch

Slipping Clutch
    Forum Index -> Drive
Snap

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 11:12 pm    Post subject: Slipping Clutch

Gidday, I have had a problem with my clutch slipping since I have had my bike. I put Barnett clutch pack in about a year ago , now it is slipping again! It has done bugger all work and not ridden hard. Has anyone got advise as when I put my 750 kit in her I imagine this problem willbe a lot worse. Anyone done a dry clutch setup on their 650??
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping Clutch

If your clutch plates and springs are only one year old, its hard to understand how it could be slipping. The only things I can think of are; incorrect assembly/missing pieces or wrong type of oil. The super slippery (energy conserving) automotive oils are not good for these wet clutches. Most people use "motorcycle oil" or diesel oil.

My bike's clutch has stock steel and friction plates and stock springs. I use diesel oil. My clutch works perfect, does not slip and I can find neutral easily.

Some guys will buy 3 heavy duty springs and use with 3 stock springs if they have slipping.

xsjohn

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping Clutch

Best rough up the steel plates.............I just rough them on the concrete ..........wish I had the patience to drill some holes in them..... ?

But my 8-1 doesn't slip and still pulls like hell.........little less but runs cool.....and heat would make the thing slip too..........and wear out the entire engine faster too....... just trying to make 100K with less work....... next 100K will be a lot better for for me for sure..........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Snap

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping Clutch

ROUGH UP ON CRONCRETE!!??? Shocked

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping Clutch

Yeah..........only been doing that for 40 years..........and got 60 thousand out of my last clutch......even with all the cr chattering.....the whole basket was then too loose to recover.....hear nothing now again for the next 60 thou........... Smile ....oh gosh where did I learn that.......experience...........come on guys....put a few hundred thousand miles on these Yamahas before ....oh well.......

Oh gosh I just got my xs going.......had 9K on it and it runs great........... Laughing Laughing Laughing ....talk at 60 or 70k.......

Set your bike up with the right cr and carbs and engine temps so it runs smooth without any chattering and the clutch may last 70k......or more ....I would think.....didn't know how myself how to do that the first time around.....but have been working on that.........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
wally

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping Clutch

I was running on GTX oil & had allways had a little slip when gunning it after a long days ride
now have Tried valvoline classic first ride today to palm beach (City ride) no slip may be better oil I read somewhere here Castrol was to slippery for these bikes

maps.google.com.au/map...14&iwloc=A
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping Clutch

So we get rid of slippery just for the clutch.......hummm........seems counter proctive there for other things............
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping Clutch

Snap,

You may be aware of this, but just in case you're not:

www.650motorcycles.com...mbly1.html

If you are going to change your oil to a different brand then tie your clutch lever to the grip to seperate the plates and allow the oil to drain off of them. Leave it that way overnight. Choose an oil that has been reccomended with no slippage. My choice is Pennzoil 20W50 automobile oil. Used it in my '78/E for the past 13 years...80,000 miles and no clutch slippage.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping Clutch

G'day Snap, what does a Barnett clutch pack consist of?
I take it 7 friction plates,
6 steel plates,
6 clutch springs?

What oil or oil addatives are you/have you run?

I run Mikes heavy duty friction plates & Mikes steel plates with Barnett springs. I absolutely rape my clutch & it's still holding up nice.

aybe pull the clutch cover & have a look. spring screws loose??????

Or could your clutch be over adjusted? Got to have a bit of free play at the lever!

Another problem could be the fingers on the clutch basket, they can end up a bit flogged from 30 years of riding! They need to be smooth where the clutch plates run. That could hold the clutch open a touch if it's bad enough!
Only file them smoothish if that ends up being your problem. If you take to much metal out of there, you'll end up with to much drive train lash & plenty of clunks!

Cheers

xsleo

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping Clutch

Misalignment of the pressure plate to the hub can cause slipping and binding. The hole in the plate lines up with a dimple in the hub.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Snap

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping Clutch

Cheers mate, I have new clutch basket fitted when I put the Barnett pack in. Well the bike shop did it for me as I am at sea a lot. I have just picked the bike up from the shop when the clutch was slipping like crazy in 4th /5th, I had to be 250 kms from home for work so I am stuck here with no tools, I will be ringing them when they open the shop to check what oil they put in the old girl. When I get down to the Tug I will have a look at the adjustment on the push rod , see if I can get a lift into town and grab some oil and have a look at the clutch pack. It was not slipping bad until it went to the shop so I hope it is just a case of the wrong oil put in.
Yamaman what oil do you use, the shop told me to use the same V-Twin oil the Harley uses ? What clutch plates etc do you use and where do you order them in case I have to replace the pack ?

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 10, 2009, 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping Clutch

Hi Snap, I run Bel-Ray EXL 20W-50. Plenty of folks around here run automotive oils, mostly diesel oils. When I was researching a while back on the subject, I found oil for LPG cars to be an atractive alternatave, though I've never tried it!
I just can't bring myself to buy anything other than motorcycle specific oils, no matter what the evidence suggests! Plus mine gets a fair caning, so I don't mind paying top dollar for my oil!
I wouldn't run fully synthetic oil either, maybe semi syn would be ok? Mineral oil is the go though on these. All just my opinion though, thousands of opinions on this subject!

As I said earlier, I used MikesXS clutch plates. But I think you might find you have a different issue than plates. If it is the plates I'd have a word with your supplier.................

I'd really like to know the details of your "clutch pack" I didn't think Barnett made a basket for these? Or steel plates? I thought they just made friction plates & springs!

Snap

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping Clutch

I scored the clutch basket on ebay from USA, I cannot remember who supplied the Barnett clutch plates and springs as I have bought heaps of parts the last year for my bike and Fairlane I am doing up, so I will have to look at my reciept book. I think I got them through the 650 club. I did check the pushrod adjustment and it did seem to be to tight , anyway it is done so I have to check it out tomorrow after work.
Thanks everyone for your input , I will let you know how it goes.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1