650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
Custom650

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 10:02 am    Post subject: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

I just recently sold a '75 XS 650 and upon seeing it leave in the truck, I realized I screwed up. So the search was on to find another XS! I came across a $250 basket case with no title, and picked it up just because it was only $250, and you never know what you'll need, right? Came with a set of cast wheels in addition to the spoked wheels, two tanks, and a bunch of other extra parts. So all in all, not bad for $250. Then I found a near mint condition '79 XS 650 for $500 on craigslist and emailed the seller within 10 minutes of the ad being placed. The next morning the seller was gracious enough to call me to let me know I wasn't quick enough (dangit!). So my search finally came to an end this past Wed. I found a very nice '78 XS 650 with some dents in the tank, but otherwise excellent for $850. Called the guy, hit the bank and picked it up within 18 hours of the ad being placed. Score! Now the problem lies here....... I have 7 bikes in my tiny one car garage, lol. My goal is to whittle that down to 3 bikes or so, so I can get to work on the XS.

y plans for the XS will be either a softail or hardtail rear, depending on how I'm feeling about the project once the time comes, and what kind of money I'll get from selling off some of my bikes. I'll rake it out slightly to 32 degrees with stock length forks, and a rear stretch of 4 inches. Still debating whether or not to put turn signals on it or not. I love the clean look of not having them, but drivers around here are too stupid to figure out what hand signals mean. Ah, I guess that's the way it goes now a days. I swear some drivers get their license out of a cereal box.

I don't have any pictures of the either XS yet, but to give you an idea of my work, I have a shot of my '81 XJ 650 I took for a local radio contest.
xsleo

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

Welcome to the board. I don't think I could sell my 75, even if I wanted too.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
schtipp

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

dude, i saw that bike for sale on craigslist or ebay. it's really sweeeet.

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

Welcome neighbor,
Sweet bike.After selling the Harley,I picked up an XS to tinker with.I saw one hardtailed and got the bug.I decided to lower it keeping the swingarm.I picked up a 74 TX with a locked up motor(good reconstructed title) about 3 weeks ago.Yesterday I answered a CL ad for another 74 parts bike w/no title.Dude anwered at 10:30 pm, while I was on line,with a phone#.I called and asked if it was ok to come right then.He said OK.I hit the mac machine and drove an hour.I looked at it by my headlights.It has some rust from being out in a lean to,but the motor turns free.He said it ran when parked a few years ago,but wasn't charging.This gave me a good feeling about the guy because he didn't HAVE to tell me that.One thing that caught my eye was the stock mufflers,but this morning I found the left one had a crack at a seam (just needs welded and rechromed).He wanted $250 OBO.Didn't run,rusty,key broke(but usable),no title.I offered $150.He said "how about $175?".I said "give me a bill of sale and it's sold".That's 3 bikes in a full of s*** 2 car garage.To top that off,I just picked up a basket case sidecar.I'm also waiting on the legal process at an impound yard(83 XS).I'll be clearing some space and getting rid of some stuff tomorrow.
nj1639

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

Hooked, and lucky- Ha!
Custom650

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

xsleo wrote:
Welcome to the board. I don't think I could sell my 75, even if I wanted too.

Yea, I won't be making that mistake again, lol.

schtipp wrote:
dude, i saw that bike for sale on craigslist or ebay. it's really sweeeet.

Thanks, bro. I see you're local to me. Maybe I'll see ya around. Haven't seen many XS 650's around here. I'll be keeping my eye out.
Custom650

PostPosted: August 10, 2009, 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

Here's a pic of my '78 XS 650. Crowded garage, so the pic kinda sucks. I'll get a better pic later.

And a rear shot, you can clearly see the garage needs to be emptied. Anybody see anything they wanna buy? Everything but my tools and my XS's are for sale! (and of course my mom and my daughter are also not for sale. I knew you were thinkin it too!).

And so I can torture myself forever for this bad decision.......Here's a pic of the '75 I never should have sold (cheap too :()

nj1639

PostPosted: August 10, 2009, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

Ah, life is full of regrets.
Could use them tank emblems if you decide to part with them.

danno

PostPosted: August 10, 2009, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

Don't make another decision that you will regret. That 78 is worth FAR more stock than bobbed,and it will only increase in value if it is not molested. If you want to hack something up,I have 2 XS650s and some cash that I will give you for the 78...
Custom650

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

danno wrote:
Don't make another decision that you will regret. That 78 is worth FAR more stock than bobbed,and it will only increase in value if it is not molested. If you want to hack something up,I have 2 XS650s and some cash that I will give you for the 78...

Where are you located?
Custom650

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

I actually might have changed my mind on my plans for the XS. The greenie might get a restoration, and my basket case XS will get the chopper treatment instead. Had the wife out on the XS tonight (first time she's ridden with me in 6 years) and we both really enjoyed ourselves. So I might as well keep it stock for that purpose. Now I just have to file for a title for the basket case. Anybody here ever use ITS title service? They're cheaper than Broadway but I haven't heard whether they are a good business or not.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

Custom650 wrote:
Anybody here ever use ITS title service? They're cheaper than Broadway but I haven't heard whether they are a good business or not.
instead of paying them why don't you check with your state DMV web site and see what is involved with getting a title might be easier than you think

Custom650

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

I'm in PA, nothing is easy with the DMV here.
Custom650

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb from PA here. Just picked up two XS 650's

Well, just sold the XJ 650 this past week, so I'm gonna get started chopping the basket case XS 650 I've got first. I'll worry about the title issue later.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1