650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > swing arm bushings

swing arm bushings
    Forum Index -> Drive
royfisk

PostPosted: September 9, 2006, 7:28 pm    Post subject: swing arm bushings

I went to do a set of swingarm bushings today only to find the old so called sloppy plastic ones were not worn out. The sleeve and pivot bolt were shot, but the bushings were not. This sparked my interest so I dissasembled two more swing arms and found the exact same thing. I cannot find any wear in the stock bushings, which thinking about it really dont surprise me because I have seen plstics perform well on other high wear applications. When checked wit a set of calipers the new bronze bushings when installed had the bigest bore by a max of .0012. Im not sure I am fully in agreement that these bushings wear out as I have been lead to beleive. Definately however is the sleeve and pivot bolt beyond use on all three arms.
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: September 9, 2006, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: swing arm bushings

Roy........I doubt very seriously that those plastic swing bushing are contenders for the modern high tech plastic of this modern day erra.
I personally don't care for the bronze bushings myself as they seem to distort during installation and need reaming out for proper fitting.If comtemplating any S/A mod,go needle bearing,well worth the extra cost................Jack

Last edited by Jack on September 9, 2006, 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
royfisk

PostPosted: September 9, 2006, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: swing arm bushings

Thanks Jack; That was my original thought and I was firm on it , Then in a forum some had said that they work great on race bikes but rust up and bind on street driven bikes. But in all reality if one were to use a waterproof grease such as used at golf courses rusting should not be a issue. I think I will take your advice.
Fly4hire

PostPosted: October 15, 2006, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: swing arm bushings

How many miles on the bikes with the worn sleeve and pivot bolts? What do you check for?

y 77' 650D with 10K has a lot of play in the swing arm, and I was going to do bronze, but no one has them, and I was contemplating the needle set up.
5twins

PostPosted: October 15, 2006, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: swing arm bushings

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 12, 2009, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
royfisk

PostPosted: October 16, 2006, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: swing arm bushings

The tx-750 arm works good huh. I tried it this summer and I teally like the bigger brake and the arm is a bolt in. As for the bushings I am all done with them. although the 750 arm is tight. When it needs to be done it will get needles.
Fly4hire

PostPosted: October 28, 2006, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: swing arm bushings

When I bought my XS650D home and started going through it I checked the swing arm play and it was way loose, so it became one of the short list items to work on.

Today, after disassembling the swing arm I find it has Bronze bushings! Checking where the play was coming from, I noted that there was play in the pivot shaft inside the pivot shaft bushing.

I also cannot rotate or move the pivot shaft sleeve inside of the bronze bushings?! Is it possible that the pivot shaft it worn and needs to be replaced along with the pivot shaft sleeve?

ikes XS was out of Bronze bushings so I purchased the needle kit which includes a new pivot shaft sleeve, however there is even more play inside of this?!? There is also no grease hole in the sleeve, so I don't know how it will get fron the grease fittings to the bearings? Instructions were also in German only.
grizld1

PostPosted: October 28, 2006, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: swing arm bushings

Roy, it's true that the needle bearings take maintenance, but if you keep 'em pumped full of a good waterproof grease like Bel-Ray they're very durable. Mine have been in service for 4 years. Gave 'em their annual look-see last month--still in great shape.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1