650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > more charging problems

more charging problems
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Electrical
interex87

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 11:07 am    Post subject: more charging problems

my bike runs fine but its just running off the battery now
my rotor is at 6.0 so i know its good also its new
now when i do the feeler gauge test it does not pull the gauge to the motor
i need to check my CHARGING STATOR but every thing i have looked at does not make sense to me can someone help me out?
interex87

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

no one knows what to do new charging startor new rectefier or some thing else?
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

Remove the alternator small cover plate. Use your voltmeter to measure the voltage between the 2 brush terminals when you turn the key on. Should be 11 or 12 volts. If no voltage seen, unplug the regulator connector and clean the terminals.
xsleo

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

To check the stator, unplug the connector and yellow wire. Check the resistance of the white wires. There are 3 of them. Check between #1-#2, #2-#3, #1-#3. They should be about .46 or .9 ohms, depending on year.
putting your year an model of bike in your signature helps everyone know what your working with. The early models use a different regulator and rectifier then the later models. They work differently.
The feeler gauge test will tell if the rotor is getting power, it tells nothing about the stator.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
interex87

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

its a 72 motor
the feeler gauge does nothing but when i test the rotor its fine at about 6.0ohms
i think im testing the charging starter right so is the rectifier the only other thing it could be?
the bike turnes one and runs till it kills the battery
if the rectifier or the charging starter was bad would it make the feeler gauge test not work? thanx guys.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

Have you done the test I mentioned, yet?
interex87

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

just did the test nothing on the brushes i think it was at like .05 battery was at 12.5 and terminals are super clean so what does that mean?
xsleo

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

It's more apt to be the regulator than the rectifier.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
interex87

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

what would make a regulator go?
xsleo

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

If your bike has the 79 an older regulator, then old age and burnt contacts are the likely suspects. The 80 and newer just age.
You say it's a 72 motor, what year bike? If it is a 79 or older, replacing the regulator with a Chrysler unit will be easy.

Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

With no voltage at the brushes, the voltage regulator has failed. Check that you have power to the regulator, and if you do , then replacement time.
interex87

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

thank you guys i will look in to it later today?
interex87

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

well it has power and still nothing so i have a new one coming in the mail wish me luck
interex87

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

well guys i have the new regulator on and still nothing its getting power
so i dont know what to do next i still have no charging field and can not get the feeler gauge to move whats next?
interex87

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

when i test the charging rotor i get .9 on all 3 whiet wires is that right.
IF IT IS the only other ting it could be is the regulator right?
xsleo

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

if you are getting .9 ohms on the three white wires you are checking the stator. Those readings are ok.
The rotor is the part inside the stator. You check by touching the test leads to each of the slip rings, the place the brushes touch the rotor. you should get 5 ohms.

Photo Gallery
interex87

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

i get 6.0 on the rotor so whats next
interex87

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

im going crazy over this im tired of working on this things electrical
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

interex87,

Well, with all this testing going on, did we forget about the most common cause of chargung problems? The brushes?

Check the length of youir brushes. The book says greater than 1/4", but that's too short. Should be a minimum of 3/8".

While you have the brushes out checking them, start the engine and hold a pencil eraser to each slip ring on the rotor to clean them up.

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

cant be the brushes they are like new put them in about 2 months ago and i have cleaned the slip rings

what things must be working for me to get a magnetic field to move the feeler gauge because im not getting that
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

interex87,

1. The brushes.
2. The rotor.
3. The regulator.

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

well brushes are good
rotor is at 6.0 ohms
and i just put a new regulator on and still nothing what am i missing?
Joseph

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

Quote::
just did the test nothing on the brushes i think it was at like .05 battery was at 12.5 and terminals are super clean so what does that mean?
I'm not real familiar with the electrics yet, Ive been lucky in that area except for a battery issue.
I would think maybe the brushes are shorting out somewhere, with 05 v at them. I think certain years use plastic screws or something and also did you loop the wire around the back of the spring, when you put the brushes in were the old ones in and working. They go in weird it almost feels like they are going in wrong but the manual should have a diagram of how they go.
I am brainstorming here someone with more expeirience in the electrics could elaborate on what I am saying.

Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: more charging problems

Have a good look at this diagram, should be similar to what you have!

Regulator needs to have 12V on the brown wire when key/kill switch is on

650rider.com/index.php...0703&pos=1

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2