650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > New to the XS world, and looking for input

New to the XS world, and looking for input
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
mmasac

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 4:57 pm    Post subject: New to the XS world, and looking for input

Hello, and thanks for the welcome. My name is Chris. And I have been riding motorcycles for 3 years now. I currently ride a '01 Victory V92c Deluxe. Its a big 1507cc bagger/cruiser. its my means of transportation basically. So, it's not going anywhere.

I have a Distinct love for older style bikes, and the things I have seen done with the xs650 bikes is great and right up my alley. I have recently found one within 100 miles of me that is forsale, that I'm very much considering buying and building a bike out of, just for fun. And to ride around to bike nights, and stuff like that when I dont need to have my bagger.

y main concern is That I'm a very heavy set guy. I'm only 5'10 but I weigh in around 310. Is that going to be too much weight for this bike. I'm guessing probably not, but I thought I would check. I learned to ride on a ninja 250, and rode that for a year, with no problems. Any input to this matter would be great.
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the XS world, and looking for input

mmasac, Welcome to the site. 310, that's a bit of a load, but as long as you keep the bike up to par, you should be ok.Go to the vault here and check out Jayel's post about what to look for and the maintenence that's suggested when purchasing a 650. Very good info there. Good luck on your find.,,,Gordo
Joseph

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the XS world, and looking for input

I dont think it'll be a problem. Thay rev high when cruising with stock gearing. I have a 30t rear and have no problem riding 2up, more than 310pds, I weigh 200 + pasenger. Welcome have fun.
Photo Gallery
mmasac

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the XS world, and looking for input

alright, thanks for words, I didnt think it would be a problem, but I thought I'd check before I sink a bunch of money into a toy.

and thanks gordo for calling me a load! haha

Black paint, DOESN'T make it BAD ASS!!!

It is NOT a Chopper, Unless you CUT something!!!
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the XS world, and looking for input

Sorry 'bout that, Cheif! Guess I missed by that much.
I'm not that far behind ya, as I'm tipping them at 210 myself.5'8", so go figure.

XSiveAl

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the XS world, and looking for input

mmasac,
my girlfriend and I make up over 300 lbs of rider & passenger.. bike takes off great with loads of power and sticks to the road better for it.
buy it, fix it up, & ride it!!
-AL
Photo Gallery
mmasac

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the XS world, and looking for input

Alright, thanks for the input. I'm not even planning on taking it far, just to the local bike nights we have all within 15 miles.

mmasac

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the XS world, and looking for input

MY next Question is, does a 81 xs650 have a front brake cable or a brake hose?? Im trying to get this figured out, so I can get an estimate on cost for all my cables for a build on the bike?

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: New to the XS world, and looking for input

Welcome and enjoy your XS.

Check out Mikes XS for parts, that will tell you what your bike has as well, Go into the Vault and look up "Manuals -- Parts list" go to the link Biker.net and that will give you a good year by year parts list and no's.

Lots of good reading and info in the Vault. ......... 81 has disk brake on the front, hose and brake fluid.
Photo Gallery
mmasac

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: New to the XS world, and looking for input

Anyone tell me how difficult it will be to put new tranny gears in, since hte one Im getting wont go into second, just every other gear.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1