650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > New guy with a XS in a chopped up Triumph frame

New guy with a XS in a chopped up Triumph frame
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
MountainCop

PostPosted: July 25, 2009, 11:50 pm    Post subject: New guy with a XS in a chopped up Triumph frame

Heya. I've actually been lurking for a little while now, but figured I'd join in on the chaos Wink

I just acquired a 72 XS650 in a hardtailed and raked out Triumph frame. The rake is going to be reversed, but the hardtail I like. The PO (ever notice that title seems to bear the same level of respect as "Heroin Addict"?) said that the petcock had to be off if the bike was parked because it would leak fuel out of the carbs. I took it home and cleaned them, and adjusted the float a bit and guess what? The thing doesn't leak! I tightened up a couple of other things and got the carbs running a bit closer to being in sync (no more popping or wallowing out). I changed the bars, which gave me a modicum of control (though the rake still gives quite a bit of flop at low speed). I rewired the whole thing because the PO (there we go again) had some very strange wiring philosophies. She runs like a raped ape now, but I know that there is more to do down the road.

Anyhow, thanks to all of you for the very detailed information that you put out there. I'm sure without it the carbs still wouldn't even be giving me a hiccup.

You are stuck with me now, MC

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: July 26, 2009, 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: New guy with a XS in a chopped up Triumph frame

Welcome! Cool looking chop!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: July 26, 2009, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: New guy with a XS in a chopped up Triumph frame

Raped ape your showing your age.
MountainCop

PostPosted: July 26, 2009, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy with a XS in a chopped up Triumph frame

Ah my friend... so much more than meets the eye! Give it a shot, how old am I?
royfisk

PostPosted: July 26, 2009, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy with a XS in a chopped up Triumph frame

off the top of my head I would say mid 50's
MountainCop

PostPosted: July 26, 2009, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy with a XS in a chopped up Triumph frame

Well... You'd only be off by about 25 years Wink I'm 28. I just hang out with old dudes. By the way... since you knew that phrase, I'd have to assume that you are one of these "old dudes".

So, after cleaning the carbs and getting her running as close to "right" as my ears and butt will assist me with, I ran her into town this morning to church. It's a nice little ride, usually about 15-20 minutes with about a 1000' elevation climb. About half way in, the right side cylinder began to cut out. It was as though the gas or spark had been shut off. It would go on and off, but wiggling the spark plug wire as I was riding didn't seem to make much difference. If I idled along for a while, then opened her up, I would occasionally get both cans running.

I'm running a single mechanical petcock directly through a filter and into a "Y" splitter to the carbs, so I figured it probably wasn't a petcock issue. I had been running for long enough that the exhaust was pretty warm. I think if there had been raw fuel running through the cylinder into the exhaust I would have heard it burning off. That made me pretty sure that it wasn't a "lack of spark" issue. That was the same carb that I'd adjusted the float bowl on earlier to stop the leaking issue at rest. I began to think that the float wasn't keeping enough fuel in the bowl. I ran up to church and on the way home had the same experience- she ran fine 3/4 of the way (remember this was mostly downhill this time), and then the right popper quit popping. I stopped at the stoplight to turn into the neighborhood (and waited till a car came up behind me and triggered the light...) and gave her some gas. Both cylinders running.

I took the carb apart and readjusted the float. The "shake things loose" run around the block a few times was the best the beast has run since I've had her. I THINK I may have fixed it. Time will tell. I should have an excuse to run to town tomorrow afternoon.
Teebs

PostPosted: July 27, 2009, 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: New guy with a XS in a chopped up Triumph frame

Man, am I considered one of the old guys now!? Well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later... It's either running like a raped ape or running smoother than greased snake sh*t...

Dude, chops don't get more old-school-cool than that. I love her just the way she is.

If you're reversing the rake does that mean you might be interested in parting with the complete over forks or fork tubes? If you're interested in selling, pm me or keep me in mind, please.

Great looking ride, looking forward to future posts.
MountainCop

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: New guy with a XS in a chopped up Triumph frame

Yeah, parting with those is part of the plan. I have a similar set off a Harley XLCH that I need to offload as well. I'd like to put an XS or similar front on it, preferably with disk brakes! I'm collecting parts for the swap right now, and trying to figure out the best way to cut and reverse the rake without taking the bike apart and while reducing "down time".
MountainCop

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: New guy with a XS in a chopped up Triumph frame

Update on that... Just checked my email and found that I won a 1980 XS650 fork set on Ebay for 50- shipped. I also got a triple tree set on a different auction for about 20. Hopefully they will all clean up nicely. If so, then all I need is a bearing set to convert my neck and I am ready to chop (or un-chop, or re-chop... whatever) the thing and get her where I want her.

Did take her for about 50 miles today doing this and that. I'm starting to feel as though I know the bike now. I'm getting to that point where I can anticipate the feel and sounds of this particular beast. It feels good. I love that "getting to know you" phase of a new/old bike. The front end is nice in the straightaways, and not THAT bad in the curves. It just flexes too much for my liking, and it is too obvious that the flex is absorbing more bumps than the shock absorbers are.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1