650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > mix screws, are they screwed?

mix screws, are they screwed?
    Forum Index -> Fuel
schtipp

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 11:14 pm    Post subject: mix screws, are they screwed?

my bike starts kind of hard lately and seems like it is missing some pull out power. when i try to tune the carbs with the dead cyl. method. the idle doesn't seem to change when i turn the screw. i turn it one way seems the same , keep going, going , going, then stall. same deal either way. what should be happening. should it be this suttle or should it be really apparent

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: mix screws, are they screwed?

checked for vacuum leaks and i synced em with RG's u tube and stable device, worked awsome by the way. cleaned the pilot circuit a lot. got 45 pilot jets in FYI

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: mix screws, are they screwed?

Totally EPA'd carbs ..............great carbs just government controlled starting in 1980......I can fix all of that but the carbs have to be clean..........spent 10 years on BS34's............and getting better on that subject every day.........and for what little 30 bucks I make on getting them straight for people I should be awarded.........run along on that crap is just going to F the engine in the summer esepecially.......maybe Obama will fix that with the global warming bill.... Laughing

right now I send along the right needles and instructions on how to make a 46 pilot from the stock 42.5 pilot with a hardened wire that only takes a minuite or so and you will need to get some 135 main jets because I spend 3 hours on the kits and can't afford to send the jets 135 too....or I would be working for nothing....wait Obama likes that idea........well I know this stuff........some may disagree but they know nothing.....the right cylinder temps are tamed also....slick ride then....

Yeah go to 650 garage site on BS34 carbs and waste another 2 years..... Laughing

Plus the 8.7-1 compression on the later models really sucks.....posted a great fix on that that no one noticed.........my great cruiser just turned 71 thousand and all the things I learned to get there have been posed...and ignored...wish I could start over on mine with what I ave leared....would have save countless hours...feel so sorry for the new guys starting out to have to find out the hard way...... Shocked

And the timing is F'ed on the electronic models.........oh gosh if I retard it it makes it run hotter...such big time bull crap.......

y wife says get a life and get off this ............. Ishould but after all these years how.......

xsjohn

Last edited by xsjohn on July 23, 2009, 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: mix screws, are they screwed?

You got a burr under you saddle John Laughing or are you missing Jimmy 8O.

Not all of us don't listen Cool
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: mix screws, are they screwed?

No not really....I was just doing this before you guys were sperm.....ever noticed how when you rev it it gets tense.....well compression takes hp to develope also and makes them vibrate and overheat....just think about it........or rebuild it.....or don't ride it much......but if you have to win a race then forget all this crap.........my race is to 100 thousand and pleasantly....yours may be something different.......been there and done that with these ole things .................wouldn't expect anyone to understand ............but mine runs just as strong as it ever did with way less vibes and heat.............figure it for your selves guys in between rebuilds....tried to offer suggestions after 40 years of this......want to drag race...... Laughing

Look at my new build they say.........dear god..............I'm old but not dumb....... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Besides all the chattering from not having it running smoothly will crap the whole thing for sure................as you well know.........could add some 250....260 ...270...degree heat to all that to make it happen sooner...and don't forget to have it all advanced to really make it...... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: mix screws, are they screwed?

schtipp;
I have to ask you a simple question, but an important one. Do you have healthy voltage on the bike. 13 volts or better at idle 1200 RPM, 14 volts or better at 2500 to 3000 RPM? Don't chase other problem areas until your electrical system is working correctly.

The mixture screws will not be tuneable if the throttle butterflys are too far open. When doing the "dead cylinder" testing, you must be able to decrease the engine speed (using the idle speed screw) down to 400 or 500 RPM. At that RPM the mixture screws will be able to adjust for the fastest idle. If you are unable to lower the RPM down to 400 or 500 RPM, then that means the pilot circuit/pilot jet is not passing enough fuel/air mixture.

xsjohn

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: mix screws, are they screwed?

42.5 pilot jets...............132.5 Main Jets..........timing advanced............crap epa needles........right cylinder running hotter than dog crap.. RG what woud you expect..........give it another thousand .... been there and done that..........maybe the garage guide can help.... Laughing ...gotta love that right at 270 degrees.......get over it....throw in a huge Mj and wash the cylinders...especially the left then...run it down the express for 2 exits and ..........gosh what is the biggest bore I can get or should I buy a big bore kit......DUH.....maybe some VM's that ..........double DUH.....watched more of this "S" than I can stand.....won't last....... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
schtipp

PostPosted: July 24, 2009, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: mix screws, are they screwed?

the voltage is where it needs to be. i was trying to do this at 1000 rpms i'll try it again sunday at the lower rpms. thanks rg. john thanks for the input, one day i'll be getting some of those needles, everyone here seems to like them. for now i just want it to run like it was designed to so i can ride the s*** out of it until winter. then i gotta tear down and replace some leaky gaskets. i know i'm crazy, but this thing ran great before i got this stupid green coil. i ordered a used stock coil to see if i'm sane after all. Confused

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1