650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
greensngravy

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 5:25 pm    Post subject: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

My first solo ride around Lake Superior ...got back yesterday...my ass still hurts. Here are some pics:

picasaweb.google.com/g.../RoadTrip#

greensngravy
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

Good run there......sounds like some fresh air too......lately it was cold there wasn't it.........I was hatched in Minneapolis........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

Not a bad ride. I did the Iron Butt ride, 1000 mile's in a day. NOT on the 650, though. What happened to the headlite? You get clobered by a June Bug?
greensngravy

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

The trip rattled the screws loose and they fell out on the highway...
greensngravy

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

xsjohn wrote:
Good run there......sounds like some fresh air too......lately it was cold there wasn't it.........I was hatched in Minneapolis........

xsjohn

The weather was great! I missed all the bad weather. Lucky I guess...
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

Great pictures. I'm glad to see that Ontario is still looking good.............that's my home province.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

Glad the weather was nice for you.Too bad about the lite, though. These will vibrate everything off if you let them. I wouldn't even think about the headlite coming loose, though. So, I presume it's time for a nice, HOT sitz bath, to get 'the rear in gear' again. Did you go alone or were other's with you? Still a nice trip through some of the best this Country & Canada have to offer. I see some Red Green influence on the repair, can't leave home without it! If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy. Laughing
greensngravy

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

The electrical tape was Andrew's idea (a local Canadian that pulled my arse out of the fire). He also got me some JB weld that stopped the leak in my gas tank for the duration of the trip. That was some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen! I'll surely go back again. Scott
greensngravy

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

gordo wrote:
Glad the weather was nice for you.Too bad about the lite, though. These will vibrate everything off if you let them. I wouldn't even think about the headlite coming loose, though. So, I presume it's time for a nice, HOT sitz bath, to get 'the rear in gear' again. Did you go alone or were other's with you? Still a nice trip through some of the best this Country & Canada have to offer. I see some Red Green influence on the repair, can't leave home without it! If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy. Laughing

I went by myself...on a lark, really. I just had another trip to Honduras cancelled due to political strife, so I just told the wife "I'm outta here, and I wasn't even sure I was going to Canada at first...maybe Sturgis...but I'm glad I went North instead!!
greensngravy

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

Retiredgentleman wrote:
Great pictures. I'm glad to see that Ontario is still looking good.............that's my home province.

You Canadians are the best!
greensngravy

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

gordo wrote:
Not a bad ride. I did the Iron Butt ride, 1000 mile's in a day. NOT on the 650, though. What happened to the headlite? You get clobered by a June Bug?

I am thinking about doing an Iron Butt at some point on my 650, but after this trip I know I will need to do quite a bit more preparation for it. And Preparation-H as well...
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 12, 2009, 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

We always have the welcome mat out for our American cousins. If you ever get out to Alberta, be sure to stop here in Calgary. Yes, our stores carry Preparation H. Smile
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: July 12, 2009, 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

greensngravy wrote:
The electrical tape was Andrew's idea (a local Canadian that pulled my arse out of the fire). He also got me some JB weld that stopped the leak in my gas tank for the duration of the trip. That was some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen! I'll surely go back again. Scott

You know, of course, that you can't patch a leaky gas tank with JB Weld or epoxy or any of that stuff. I suggested it to another fellow here a while ago but 650skull and his list nazis over-ruled me. They swore it wouldn't work and I didn't know what I was talking about. So what you did is impossible, according to them. You couldn't have patched your gas tank with JB Weld, and you couldn't have made it home that way. You're not at home now. You're just delirious. Very Happy Shocked Razz
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: July 12, 2009, 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

I once took a load of dynamite from Seneca, IL, to Ishpeming, MI, by way of Duluth, MN. After I delivered, I drove the rest of the way across the Upper Peninsula to Saulte Ste. Marie and then down the east coast of Lake Michigan. It was a real nice trip, even in a crappy old 1967 Freightliner.

After I finished journalism school, a publisher tried to hire me to edit a newspaper in the Upper Peninsula. I didn't take the job because I like to ride and it's too goddam cold up there. They only get about three weeks of T-shirt weather at Saulte Ste. Marie, even in a good summer. Brrrr!
greensngravy

PostPosted: July 12, 2009, 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

jimmythetrucker wrote:
greensngravy wrote:

You know, of course, that you can't patch a leaky gas tank with JB Weld or epoxy or any of that stuff. I suggested it to another fellow here a while ago but 650skull and his list nazis over-ruled me. They swore it wouldn't work and I didn't know what I was talking about. So what you did is impossible, according to them. You couldn't have patched your gas tank with JB Weld, and you couldn't have made it home that way. You're not at home now. You're just delirious. Very Happy Shocked Razz
greensngravy

PostPosted: July 12, 2009, 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

jimmythetrucker wrote:
greensngravy wrote:

I'm sure the administrators don't want a lawsuit so I can sort of understand that - but I CAN tell you that my tank is still not leaking...

It's an aftermarket tank from MikesXS and in my opinion the metal is too light of a gauge, and that could make the welds vulnerable to cracking...I am working with them now to see if they can make the problem right with me (not sure what they can do other than give me a refund because I don't know if I want a replacement with the same tank).
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 12, 2009, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

Quote::
jtt: If you have no objection to the cosmetic effect, seeing that blank metal plate on there like that, then there's nothing wrong with what you've done. Somebody else might object, but that's what we call a personal problem, isn't it?

If you want to get rid of the plate and make the holes invisible, you could always fill 'em with epoxy or JB Weld or something. Sand 'em off nice and flat, and paint over 'em. You ARE gonna paint this chopper when you're done with it, right?

Only other suggestion I'd make is to get rid of the vacuum-operated petcock on the other side. Replace it with a manual petcock from Mike's XS. Mike sells manual petcocks that fit in tanks that were made to hold the vacuum type. They cost something like $30 or $40 bucks, something like that, but they eliminat

SKULL : The vacuum petcocks can be converted to manual (if you go that route) to save a couple of $. Information on that is in the vault

jtt:
weekendrider wrote:
ejdirin
I used a plate and piece of innertube, painted black. If your plate and gasket works it's fixed. Yes you do end up with gas on the side of the blank. Just refill quicker.

If you want to plug the hole I'd suggest talking with a body shop.
aybe welding a patch over it to seal and blend.
That's a pretty big hole to jump/fill with just a putty/epoxy/JB/fiberglass.

I once plugged a hole in the tank of an old International gas job -- the hole was the size of a golf ball -- with a wad of steel wool that I saturated with epoxy. The plug was still holding five years later, so I believe it was a permanent fix.

SKULL: I'm not saying jtt idea won't work but with the tank on the XS above the motor i would not like to be worrying if my tank was possibly going to leak over my motor......To be real safe make a blind and screw over the old petcock hole

jtt: It will work. Look up epoxy on Wikipedia. epoxy resin is heat and chemical resistant. For that matter, I believe the hundreds of companies that manufacture fiberglass fuel tanks would be interested in your theory. I'm sure they find something to say that would put you at ease.

Well jtt putting words into my mouth again, Saying i overruled you and saying you didn't know what you were talking about.
Once again you are calling me names, (this time a Nazis), and saying i called you a lier.

When will you stop this abusive behavior jtt.

I call on you to apologize to me for you derogatory and slanderous remarks towards me, and i am asking you to stop your continuous abuse towards me.

Here is the link to that post Web Page Name

My issue was and still is a safety one, with the tank above the engine i would be on edge in case the JB weld leaked

footnote: I edited a post today as i had a spelling mistake in there

Last edited by 650skull on July 12, 2009, 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
IAmGrowler

PostPosted: July 12, 2009, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

greensngravy wrote:
My first solo ride around Lake Superior ...got back yesterday...my ass still hurts. Here are some pics:

greensngravy

How about some feedback on those bars?

Were you comfortable bent over like that on a long putt?

I have the same bars on my '79SF for everyday riding, but swap 'em out with the stock buckhorn bars on long putts, kind of a pain in the arse, actually.

Maybe it's just me, but the height of the bars makes a huge difference in perspective.

PostPosted: July 12, 2009, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

footnote: I edited a post today as i had a spelling mistake in there

Buy a Mac and you won't have that problem.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 12, 2009, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

Well jtt putting words into my mouth again, Saying i overruled you and saying you didn't know what you were talking about.
Once again you are calling me names, (this time a Nazis), and saying i called you a lire.

I call on you to apologize to me for you derogatory and slanderous remarks towards me, and i am asking you to stop your continuous abuse towards me.

Are you man enough to admit you are wrong?
Photo Gallery
greensngravy

PostPosted: July 12, 2009, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

IAmGrowler wrote:
greensngravy wrote:

greensngravy

How about some feedback on those bars?

Were you comfortable bent over like that on a long putt?

I have the same bars on my '79SF for everyday riding, but swap 'em out with the stock buckhorn bars on long putts, kind of a pain in the arse, actually.

Maybe it's just me, but the height of the bars makes a huge difference in perspective.

Actually I think the clubman bars made it easier for me to position my body to ride at a lower profile and not get pounded so much by the wind. Yes it was not a comfortable ride compared with a larger bike that's for sure. But the only thing I have to compare it to was my 2000 Sporty which was a less comfortable bike! I think for some reason I WANTED to be uncomfortable on this run - it helped me in some perverse way to work through some issues (biking is my only therapy!).

But it also made me think about buying a Wing... Twisted Evil

Scott
xsleo

PostPosted: July 13, 2009, 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

I have always thought that riding is the best therapy for most any problem.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: July 13, 2009, 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

650skull wrote:
Once again you are calling me names, (this time a Nazis), and saying i called you a lire.

Are you man enough to admit you are wrong?

650skull -- If you don't like the position you occupy in the catalog of weenies, you need to man up and own the fact that you put yourself in the catalog. Until you can manage that, I call on you to go pee in your hat. You can get sympathy in the dictionary: you'll find it right there between sh*t and syphilis.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 13, 2009, 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 miles in 4-days on my xs650 cafe racer!! Yikes!!!

xsleo wrote:
I have always thought that riding is the best therapy for most any problem.

Well this is obviously something jtt doesn't do much of or he would not have such a chip on his shoulder.
A sad thing to have so much hate.

Ill tell you what, i won't demand an apology and will forgive you for all of the bad things you have said to me, if you will just enjoy the site and don't continue with the negative and personal abuse.
Com'n, jtt get on your bike and go for a ride, clear out all of that hate. Post some pics of your bike on the road, or in your shed, it doesn't have to be going or look real good. Why don't you join in the fun.

I will go along with you on that xsleo, Just the machine and you.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2