650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > Throttle cable length/routing...

Throttle cable length/routing...
    Forum Index -> All the rest
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 6:40 am    Post subject: Throttle cable length/routing...

Guys, if you look closely at this pic in my gallery:

www.650rider.com/index...=332&pos=5

You can see that my dual throttle cables go way out in front of the headlamp. The fittings appear stock, so I'm trying to figure out if the cables are too long, or if a PO just routed them improperly. Do any of you early bike owners have a preferred or correct routing, and how can I determine whether I just need to spring for new cables, or just reroute the ones I have?

Thanks -

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

my 74's cables go in over the top of the headlight stay (fork cover) then down along the frame to the carbs, your bars are flatter and lower than stock so that will effect it but the important thing is they run in as smooth of arc as possible, any chance you have after market cables from ape bars? don't think any of the Specials used dual cables
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

Quote::
any chance you have after market cables from ape bars? don't think any of the Specials used dual cables

jayel, it's entirely possible. It had daytonas on when I got it, but I went to aces and that didn't really matter that much. but i have a feeling that these might be aftermarket, and too long.

Wonder if I can somehow optimally shorten the cables I have for my aces, or if replacement stock ones would be better?

TC
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

TC, the factory manual has a cable routing diagram, might help......

www.xs650.de/literatur...haenge.pdf

Scroll down to page 13, cheers

TeeCat

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

Thanks, ym. This looks to apply to single throttle cable models, but it could still be helpful. I still have the feeling that my cables are just too long. Might consider new ones, though I wonder if soldering a new terminus on existing (shortened) cables is an option. Not sure how to do that.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

measured a set of spares I got from mikes, outer cable lenght is about 41 inches TC
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

yamaman wrote:
TC, the factory manual has a cable routing diagram, might help......

www.xs650.de/literatur...haenge.pdf

Scroll down to page 13, cheers
this needs to be in
THE VAULT Laughing

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

I've made a few up myself, not to hard, but I think you might have panic attacks for the first few thousand miles wondering when it was going to fail! Shocked Laughing Laughing

If you remove the old one carefully, you'll see how it's done.

First clean off the old solder as well as you can, then tin it up nicely. Then you need to splay the ends right out all the way around (after you thread it through of course Laughing ) and tin them up as well. Then it's just a matter of soldering together!

y throttle cable at the mo is done this way, and has been on for quite a while with no dramas. I do have a reasonably hot iron, 80 watt, a 60w should cover it.........Cheers

Have fun Very Happy

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

silver solder is best for a application like this, harder higher melting point than lead/tin electricial/plumbing solder
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

jayel wrote:
measured a set of spares I got from mikes, outer cable lenght is about 41 inches TC

Thanks... I'll have a peek at mine at my earliest.

And thanks for all the assistance, guys!

Better measure to see what I have.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

I was just thinking that, since this PO does not seem to have been a cerebral giant, I might just see if I can route the existing cables with more lateral travel than frontal, somehow. I just hate the way that jutt forward in front of the light like that.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

jayel...

The more I look at these throttle cables and the decompression lever cable, which also goes out in front of the headlight, the more I think they're the proper cables, but misrouted. I think I might be able to take up some of the slack by routing them properly at the forks, but then they'll have to ark behind the petcocks as opposed to in front of them as they do now. The current placement in front of the petcocks looks too sharp, now that I look at it.

Where are your throttle cables in relation to your petcocks? Rearward or forward?

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

foreward, like I said over the headlight stay, along the frame backbone then to the carbs
looked at your album pics those look long to me
damn looked at mikes cables and your 73's are different than my 74's, so can't say about the lenghts

s6300297.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.91 KB
 Viewed:  394 Time(s)

s6300297.jpg

s6300298.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.7 KB
 Viewed:  371 Time(s)

s6300298.jpg

TeeCat

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

Thanks, jayel. I might try to get a little creative with the routing and see if I can get them to be less conspicous. Maybe I can get close to a stock routing at the least.
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 16, 2009, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

Thanks, but that language barrier really got to me there. Razz

y throttle cables are about 6 inches too long, so I'll have to replace them. But for now, I managed to re-route them over top of the headlight and otherwise like jayel recommended to make the length less conspicuous.

But the one that really throws me is the cable for the decompression lever. The cable ends are the correct diameter for the application, and the threaded adjusted fitting that's placed on the housing/cable during manufacture) that attaches to the valve cover is correct. But the cable is 44 inches long. I'm wondering if anyone knows the correct routing for it, as I cannot find any suitable pics of this particular application anywhere, nor can I find a replacement to see of an OEM replacement is shorter.

Thanks -

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 11, 2009, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

I managed to re-route the decpmp lever cable so that the excess forms a wide sweep between the valve cover and the lower triple tree, so now it's not so conspicuous. I never use it but I still need to figure out when it's adjusted properly, as the little valve cover lever does not seem to be closing all the way on its own.

As to the throttle cables, I'll have to get some OEM replacements, but the existing ones are routed less clumsily. The throttles seem to be opening in sync and closing all the way, and none of the cables seem to be hanging or binding. Now, there's nothing actually forward of t5he headlamp... only a bit of excess throttle cable just a bit above it.

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 13, 2009, 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

I'm about to order replacement (correct) throttle cables (two) for my '73, as well as a decompression lever cable. The latter is really simple to replace, but I was wondering how it is to replace the throttle cables at the throttle end. I have not had the assembly apart before... only to swap bars, but I didn't disturb the cable attachments at the throttle. Anything I need to look out for? It's hard to tell from drawings as they're not dual cable-specific.

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 13, 2009, 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

one cable will have a tighter radius at the upper tube (inner most cable) other than that it's pretty simple, leave the lower carb ends loose until you get the top ends in place
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 13, 2009, 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

jayel, I don't have the bike in front of me at the mo, but does the whole throttle assy have to come apart to get the old cables out and the new ones in? Any springs or anything I need to be concerned with?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 13, 2009, 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

no springs, just pull the screws holding the throttle assemble and seperate the two halves,
switch wires may not let it come to far apart, but enough to unhook old cable ends and slide out grip (a little grease on inside of grip wouldn't hurt) hmmm you may not have switches on your bike, if not the top half will lift right off
screw in cable tubes and rehook cable ends (grip has grooves the cable wires fit into)
turn throttle part way to get it in center of the grip travel (making sure it will turn freely)
put the screws back in route cables down to carbs hook on lower ends and adjust cable lenghts

wire-xs1-1970-1973_.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.89 KB
 Viewed:  369 Time(s)

wire-xs1-1970-1973_.jpg

TeeCat

PostPosted: July 13, 2009, 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

Thanks, jayel. I do think my kill switch is part of my assy.

So, you're saying that the only reason to slide out the grip is to lube under it?

Seems pretty straight forward. I was concerned that there might be little return springs in there.

Will advise when the parts come and I get it done.

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 13, 2009, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

TeeCat wrote:
Thanks, jayel. I do think my kill switch is part of my assy.

So, you're saying that the only reason to slide out the grip is to lube under it?

Seems pretty straight forward. I was concerned that there might be little return springs in there.

Will advise when the parts come and I get it done.

TC
yes to lubing the twist grip where it rides on the handle bar and grease the pivot holes for the cable ends, pretty much grease the whole thing except where you hold on lol you'll figure it out it's pretty simple once you see it

TeeCat

PostPosted: July 13, 2009, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle cable length/routing...

Received and noted... thanks, mate... will advise. Smile Should have the parts by the end of the week.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1