650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > rearsets and kick starter

rearsets and kick starter
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
sportydriver

PostPosted: August 19, 2006, 1:11 am    Post subject: rearsets and kick starter

I'm going to use rear sets on my project bike. I know they will be in the way of the kickstarter. Can the kickstart shaft be removed and the hole in the clutch cover sealed without messing up anything drive related? Anybody seen it done?

Sporty
royfisk

PostPosted: August 20, 2006, 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

I havent seen it done but see no reason why tou couldnt do it. looks like you would just remove the whole axle assembly and have your cover heli arced.
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 21, 2006, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

Why don't you keep the kick starter and work the connections around it to accomodate your rear sets. just an idea
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: August 21, 2006, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

Not a bad idea especially the way that these seem to eat up starter drive gears...
sportydriver

PostPosted: August 21, 2006, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

I haven't seen anybody have luck with rearsets and the kickstarter. I figured if you can't use it why not lose it. After talking to a couple of people I've dropped the idea. I'm gonna keep the kickstart even if its about as useful as nipples on guys.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 23, 2006, 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

You could just cut off the shaft or make up a dummy. That way it is reversible if you want to go back.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 23, 2006, 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

mikeXS has a plug kit to remove starter
xs-mullet

PostPosted: September 1, 2006, 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

are you aiming to stick with original style pegs?

if you change to an all metal design which is slimmer than a stock one, then a right peg which fold all the way up should clear the kick start.
CaptDan

PostPosted: September 7, 2006, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

The Old School way to mesh rearsets and a kickstarter was to have a footpeg that would stay folded up until you were done kicking, like xs-mullet mentioned.
I have seen a "recountoured" kickstart lever on a heavily-modified XS650 cafe bike. Heat, bend, check fit. Heat, bend, check fit. Repeat until it clears the rearsets and cases and is (hopefully!) still usable.
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 13, 2006, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

So how is it coming? any Pics? I am curious because I am going to be running a kick start and rear sets as well. I am not that far in my build, I do have access to may different rear sets so when I get going if your not done as of yet, I will be happy to share what I learn.

Cheers Kyle
Photo Gallery
Barrett

PostPosted: January 26, 2007, 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

I have seen lots of bike with the kicker shaft cut off and plugged, at least on flat trackers. They also move the shifter(and brake) to the right side, your left foot ends up on the track.
xscaferacer

PostPosted: January 29, 2007, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

I'm having the same problem, with my kick start and rear sets. Ive used the heating and bending process. Still have a little more to go.
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 6, 2007, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

This guy's rearsets are supposed to work with the kick starter.

www.tcbroschoppers.com/id7.html
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 8, 2007, 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

I saw a setup on an old triumph the other day. The guy had put a pin with a quick pull c-clip holding the peg on the bike it took him 5 seconds to pull the pin the rear peg was off. he kicked it over then reattached the peg. It was not perfect by any means but an ingenious way to solve his problem.
I found a site www.guzzino.com sells parts for racing italian bikes has a set of folding pegs and some nice rear sets not to bad. Maybe a thought

Cheers Kyle
Photo Gallery
jetmechmarty

PostPosted: March 9, 2007, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

I had a long look at those rearsets in the previous post. They look to me like the move the pegs back further than any I've seen previously. My legs are long, so I see that as a good thing. Below is a link to a cheap way to do this.
650wiki.org/index.php/...Racer_Idea

arty (in Georgia)
ttmaniac

PostPosted: March 10, 2007, 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

Damn Marty. Two days too late. Rear peg mounts just got the chop. Oh, well. I never disliked the stock setup anyhow. That was a good link though. Thanks bro. I'll keep it in mind the next time I start butchering another frame. Rock on.
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: March 10, 2007, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

R1 or R6 foot pegs are also a cheap alternative to custom making rear sets. The only problem I see with the sets that extend further back is that this set-up dosen't allow the rider to apply firm enough pressure to assist in leaning the bike over but for a long legged person they're ideal...Jack
Tomterrific

PostPosted: March 11, 2007, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

Here is an extreme idea. Move the kickstarter back with the footpeg. A fabricated kickstarter arm would rotate around the relocated footpeg. A sprocket would be welded to the fabricated kickstarter arm and another sprocket would be mounted to the kickstart shaft at the case. The two sprockets would be connected by a chain. When the fabricated kickstart arm is moved the chain and sprockets would turn the original kickstart shaft.

This would look cool as the chain and sprockets are very nuts and boltsy.

Tom Graham
gyasi

PostPosted: May 14, 2007, 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

Look at twins-inn.de
they have a special kickstarter lever
not too expensive
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 14, 2007, 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

I always had a footpeg that folded up , Id never dispense with my kickstart,I manage without the electric boot no problem - junk it,blank it off and save several pounds in weight!
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 14, 2007, 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

You said 1961..that electric boot is dead weight. There is other associated gears inside the block. I'll bet the total weight savings is 20 lbs or better.
Photo Gallery
sportydriver

PostPosted: May 19, 2007, 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

I knew I should have taken German in school. twins-inn.de looks like they have some good stuff, I just can't read the language.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 19, 2007, 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

babelfish.altavista.com/
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 19, 2007, 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: rearsets and kick starter

Yup tt, I didnt mention I'd removed all the internal gubbins - Bendix gear/crossover shaft/gears at the last rebuild...nice 'n light...
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2