650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > stripped stud bolt hole

stripped stud bolt hole
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
cosack54

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 6:59 pm    Post subject: stripped stud bolt hole

Hey everybody! I have a 1981 XS650SH. A problem arises where I've somehow managed to strip the stud bolt for the exhaust valve cover. Being that this was a bike I picked up on, in a swap, the problem may have been pre-existing. Any way, does anyone know a good way to fix the problem? Drilling and tapping to a larger size, may result in enlarging the hole in the cover plate for the larger bolt. How about filling the stud bolt hole with some epoxy based junk then drilling and retapping the hole. I'd prefere to keep the the motor together to fix the problem....if humanly possible. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: stripped stud bolt hole

buy the heli-coil kit for 6mm x 1 metric bolts, contains a half dozen or so thread inserts, a tap and a installation tool easy to use, you may find other stripped holes, pick up a 6mm x 1 tap for touching up theaded holes........ no japanese motorcycle tool kit is compleat with out one
nj1639

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: stripped stud bolt hole

They're worth their weight in gold, them helicoils.
cosack54

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: stripped stud bolt hole

Thanks jayel and thanks for the back-up nj1639! Totally drew a blank on the heli-coil. Did'nt know they even made them that small. I'm going to pick them up tomorrow. Got a couple of bike runs I want to go on later this month, so I want to get it prepared. Bike is shaping up nicely but I'm gonna have to learn how to submit photos when shes finished! Thanks again!
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: stripped stud bolt hole

The Heli-Coil kit work's great. I had a customer with a Quad Four engine, long story short, three head's later the hole's that hold the cam's in place ALL stripped out after 200 mile's. They wouldn't send me another head, & I was not going to eat this one, so I used the Heli- Coil kit's, even put two coil's in each hole, as the bolt's were long. Worked perfectly, & he totalled the car 6 month's later. ,,,Gordo Laughing
cosack54

PostPosted: June 12, 2009, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: stripped stud bolt hole

Thanks everybody for your input! I purchased the heli-coil kit today and it certainly fixed the problem. I've seen these before and know people in the past that have used them and they worked great for them too!.Man, it just slipped my mind to even think about these for my problem. Thanks for the cup of coffee to wake me up! Greatly appreciated!
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: June 13, 2009, 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: stripped stud bolt hole

Congrats!
Helicoil and an appreciation for the torque specs should keep you going a long time.
Signed,
Been there, Ha!

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1