650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 5:38 am    Post subject: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

Woah is me.

Needed a tourer Sad
Photo Gallery
penn71911

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

So which modern, cookie-cutter-common, sleek, soul-less machine has replaced your beloved XS? Laughing Wink

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
cretin75xs650

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

Still have my XS, along with a 2009 HD Street Glide.

kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

How much would it cost to change a rear tire? And those mufflers, how you gonna piss off your neighbors with mufflers? Common, you got a harley, you have an image to uphold.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
cretin75xs650

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

Rear tire change, one hour of labor, change mufflers, unlimited, owning a harley...priceless...
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

penn71911 wrote:
So which modern, cookie-cutter-common, sleek, soul-less machine has replaced your beloved XS? Laughing Wink

Yeah fair comment.

I only got room for one bike under dry cover.

I only got money for one bike Sad LOL..

I want to go touring in Europe and cover some serious ground, occassionally on Motorways (autoroutes, autostradas, highways and autobahns), to get to places very far off without being half dead so you cant look round the place you wanna see LOL..Just riding 200 miles a day on my XS half killed me Smile (tracker probably had something to do with it LOL)..

I will TRY not to get something soleless by trying not to buy something Japanese. Modern Jap that is.

I think Modern Triumphs got a load of sole. The triples sound incredible and go like trains long distance. Future classic IMHO.

I'll NEVER buy a modern harley, purely because of the image they have in this country. Lots of middle age guys have a mid life crisis, crashing into people on massive bikes they just bought on their AMEX a week ago and got a direct access license to ride by training on a lite bike for a day or two Sad LOL..
Anyhow.. dont get me started on that lot.

NOW...On my list in the near future is a good T140, a 1968 or early 70's Sportster, and of course a mint XS650 Roadster. s*** I got enough spares LOL
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

Jake68 wrote:

NOW...On my list in the near future is a good T140, a 1968 or early 70's Sportster, and of course a mint XS650

Aren't these all the same bikes with different stickers on them? Smile
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

Jake, my mates trying to flog his '95 Thunderbird for £2200 , only 10,000 !
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

cretin75xs650 wrote:
owning a harley...priceless...

Right you are, there is no price that could get me to own a Harley.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

With you there kingwj ! Twisted Evil
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

xjwmx wrote:
Jake68 wrote:

NOW...On my list in the near future is a good T140, a 1968 or early 70's Sportster, and of course a mint XS650

Aren't these all the same bikes with different stickers on them? Smile

I guess, the same vibe. Twins. I love 'em. Never buy a four ever again.

I've got right into Triumph Triples too.

I've already started looking for parts for my XS650 build up. Plans to build a 750 motor in my spare time and then look for a basic Roadster to put it in and do a rolling restoration. Already looking at a few parts for the motor on ebay Smile I must be friggin mental Sad LOL..

xs1961, dude you didnt tell me if you found a crank (447)..I am still interested in 447 parts. Or I guess other types...but matching of course LOL.

I figure all I need is a set of cases a gear box, a clutch some covers etc.. LOL.. omg I need my head tested LOL..I've already started clearing the garage for my next project LOL.XS of course LOL..

Just wanna do some zooming about on a nice-ish triple first..
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

Jake, say it ain't so ! I really enjoy you and 61's "other side of the pond" view. Oh, and in my mind, the only real triples only stroke twice Wink
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

Oh God , not T160's Jake ? What a pile of cack they are !
The T140's not bad though for round the country lanes , I rode one on Sunday (£3000 he wants for it Shocked )and it was great up to 60MPH then it vibrated like a jack-hammer, felt like it wouldn last 10 mins.
Im having to keep the crank for the time being as I just sold a complete engine at the weekend to raise funds for a hardtail on another..

Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

What does the 140 or 160 represent? What is the size of the motor, how many cc's?
Photo Gallery
cretin75xs650

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

I must have had my middle age crisis at 25 when I got my first Harley. Of course my first love was a triumph when I was 17. Ride what you like, it doesn't matter to me, as long as you enjoy the sport.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

Hinckley Triple mate.

Sorry to hear about Crank. I'll keep looking. Prolly Ebay I guess. Bit by bit my 750 will live ahahahaha Smile LOL..

However I do like 150/160's as well LOL..its taste thing dude..prolly I aint got none LOL..

Anywho..dont get the wrong idea about Harley's I LOVE old harleys. I dont even mind new ones.

In the UK, the "brand new harley boy" scene is ...errr.. a ...little odd?

1961 back me up here, tell them what i am talking about LOL..before I get linched. LOL
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

"brand new harley boy" scene?
Probably not much different than here. Overheard one talking about how much he paid the harley shop to turn a few bolts and was proud of the expense.
Nuts.

cosack54

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

Why is when somebody starts a site for a certain make motorcycle you always seem to get a Hardly Davidjunk boy to stick his nose in there to try and change things to their likeing? The only thing I can think of is they want to learn what a good bike looks and runs like. There are plenty of Hardly a bike sites, go find one and go play there. You don't like it if we go on your sites and talk about other bikes. Other than Hardly Davijunks!
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 12, 2009, 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

Lol cosack !
Jakes right about HD's in the UK,Id be embarrassed to ride/own one over here in case anyone mistook me for being a R.U.B/accountant/actor/poof , they seem to be the only ones who think splashing out that kind of money for a near pre-historic m/c is justified to (mistakingly) boost percieved masculinity , the ironys totally lost on them...

(RUB=Rich Urban Biker)

Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 12, 2009, 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

I, too, am now a PO. Sold my XS yesterday. Really hated to let her go but a brother offered me his Sportster for a price I couldn't turn down. Unfortunately I am one of those who can only afford one bike at a time. I had to sell the XS to pay for the Sporty. I now have a pretty fair assortment of XS parts that I don't need, so if you need something let me know...I might have it.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 12, 2009, 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

Mmmm...even Im tempted this week to flog my pride n joy.. finding it harder to get any workshop time to build mine..Thing is like Drifter I can only afford to own one running bike & I cant think of what to buy apart from my mates '95 thunderbird...
i wont ever become a Po but perhaps a non-XS-rider for a while... Crying or Very sad

Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: June 12, 2009, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

cretin; quote priceless??? I think not
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 14, 2009, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

5twins wrote:
Jake, say it ain't so ! I really enjoy you and 61's "other side of the pond" view. Oh, and in my mind, the only real triples only stroke twice Wink

Dont panic I am already an XS "PARTS" owner, and I'd have even more bits if I could persuade a certain party to sell me a crank LOL..
(Im gonna knick it from his garage in the middle of the night LOL)

I wanna 750 motor in a roadster.

But..man..Hinckley Triples fekkin ROCKS..they sound amazing the build quality is great, they go well and ..did I mention the sound? LOL..

They got SOUL..I think anyhow..but its what I wanted to get me further faster this summer. Me an '61 are in the same boat fanancially speaking despite my attempts to hold up 61's economy (your welcome mate).

Anyhow I love bikes in this order..

Triumph Hurricane
Norton P11
BSA A65 Lightning
Triumph T120R and then T140 immitations of the same.
Norton Commando
Yamaha XS650
Honda CB750 SOHC
Harley Sportster (early dudes)

Now Mid 90's Hinckley trips fit into that list on a varying basis depending on the model and my general daily mood.

I know 61 aint a brit bike fan, but as a spanner person I love them, and they DO smell different as well..I can proove it LOL..

Anywho.. dont this sound good?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_nYJN3FIHQ

Smile :-)
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 15, 2009, 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: I am an EX XS Owner, now a PO.

Wouldnt say Im not a fan Jake - I owned dozens of them over the years but I can only think of a few Id like to own again (if I was rich! ) they'd be ; A10,A65 BSA sloper or an Ariel 500 (post war or late30's ) might force meself to ride a 69-70 bonneville ...
The very reason I got into XS's 30-odd years ago was because they reminded me of a leak-free,vibrationless & reliable(non existant) Brit..

Rode the XS today & decided I cant part with her... Rolling Eyes

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1