650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > 8-1 compression and 18/30 gearing

8-1 compression and 18/30 gearing
    Forum Index -> Engine
nj1639

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 7:48 am    Post subject: 8-1 compression and 18/30 gearing

Nice!!!
Any other adventurous souls tried it?

nj1639

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 8-1 compression and 18/30 gearing

Took my riders test today and passed. Think I was about the oldest one there(57), though I'm 23 in my minds eye.
Sweet ride! About 60 mile round trip. I believe the taller gears helped on the test, 1st being a bit longer on wind-out, not needing to shift going through the course. Used the kick starter a half dozen times or so during the testing and she never failed me. Everybody else was pushing buttons, Ha!
Going through the gears on the ride up and back is just amazing. 4th gear now is about where 5th stock used to be when maxed to my liking. Vibes seriously diminished, mirrors functional. I could even tell that I had a Trooper behind me for a bit of the way.

Any thoughts of a 750 kit are gone. This has got to be the cheapest, easiest way to improve the mechanics of this bike, and if I can do it, well, you know.

xsjohn

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 8-1 compression and 18/30 gearing

Worked with nj1639 on his 8-1........know for myself if you want a really nice ride and a bunch less engine noises and less heat and less vibrations and probably much longer engine life this is definately the way to go........it's nice to have a really nice running motorcycle for a change.............with the timing retarded a bit these become a normal engine pulling beautifully from 1800 rpm on......and I would expect this to greatly lengthen the engine life...........

I also plan to offer repositioned cams for this mod for reasonable....and I know how to do it right.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 8-1 compression and 18/30 gearing

Thanks to you John. Best thing since sliced bread.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 8-1 compression and 18/30 gearing

You hung in there like a champ........and now we have the head gasket bonding and sealing thing figured out right too....thanks.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 8-1 compression and 18/30 gearing

nj1639, In New York the stock gearing or even lower would get you thru the road test better. Here the examiner watchs as you make 2 righthand circles, 2 lefthand circles, 2 left hand figure eights, 2 right hand figure eights. all this on a regular city street with traffic. don't touch your feet to the ground, stall it, hit any cars, curbs or block traffic. I think with a lower geared sprocket will help with this. I have dropped to a 32 tooth on the rear and it does ok, i may try a 30.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 8-1 compression and 18/30 gearing

Leo, a little different scenario here. Everything is done in a parking lot at 12 to 20 mph max. 6 cones spaced 12 feet apart and offset 2 foot from each other. 90 degree turn then return and stop in a marked 3x5 box, tire not touching the lines. Take off and quick stop. Take off and avoid a 6 foot obstacle line not traveling past a prescribed width. U turn.
This is do one, then stop and see what the next one is etc. etc.
Shoulda seen the Goldwing guy mashing the cones.
Indiana contracts the testing out to ABATE. Saves the taxpayers some dough, 'pay as you go' state here in a lot of things.
Do a 30 and you won't go back. My bike is a pleasure to ride. Smooth, cool and comfortable.

xsjohn

PostPosted: June 8, 2009, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 8-1 compression and 18/30 gearing

Finished up the sons XJ650..........actually a nice little bike........ONE big problem for me .........it needs 2 more gears.............it is geard so low I use 2nd in the driveway...........wouldn't go to the mountains on that one.........what were the designer idiots thinking......and a fricken pumpkin so I can't change it......... Shocked

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1