650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > You know what i hate ....

You know what i hate ....
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 11:23 pm    Post subject: You know what i hate ....

... live in Canada and can't find a metric bolt.
nudude53

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

here ya go jimmer

www.fastenal.com/web/p...=999600000

xsjohn

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

They are usually where they keep the nuts........ Laughing

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS ONE............ speaking of nuts....

thesowmyalife.com/2009...-ed-video/

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

Obviously a democrat. A republican would have been arrested.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

Progressive democrat........ass first if anyone is interested........ and soon if you say anything about it ...that will be Federal........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

...........Unless you're a gay congressman. Then it's required.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

Next they will be swinging from the Halls of Congress....if not already...opening ceremony....then on to the Supreme Court...... Shocked

Ole George Washington is definately turning over in his grave....hope he was buried face down so he doesn't have to take one too......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
rhilker

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

No Home Harwares in New Brunswick?

Fastenal sucks because if you want 1 bolt they make you buy 50. Brafaso is better as they do the same thing but if you plead deseration they will give you the bolt for free. (as the bag of 50 suddenly exploded)

I have to admit that things like clevis pins or it's something oddball, you'll never find it. Worst case scenario is to go to any import dealership (car or bike). The service guys will look after you.

Another good source is rental equipment places, fastenall's biggest retail customers.

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

I forgot about the 50 minimum thing, sorry. I buy at Fastenal in bulk so I have it if I need it, my resto bike is being fitted with all new stainless steel where ever I can. Home Depot and Lowes has stopped selling metric ss allen screws but still has hex bolts, nuts, locks and acorns, expensive by the piece though. I bought some allen carb screws off of ebay and they were all wrong, lesson learned, stock my own stuff now.
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

If we are gonna go metric ... which we did so many years ago I can't remember .... then lets do it instead of 1/2 ass like we did. A lot of places have simply stopped selling metric nuts and bolts. Canadian Tire for instance. I can find them but its not easy. I'm talking about going down to a local store ... not online. There should be metric stuff available everywhere in this country since we are supposedly a metric nation.

The temperature is in Celsius,, the highway speed is in km/h, hamburger is sold by the kilogram, and gas is sold by the liter. Its a joke ... about 30 years of progress.
JeffM

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

Blame Brian Mulroney for stalling the metric conversion!!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._in_Canada
Hard to believe that crook still holds the Order of Canada. (enough politics already!)

I was about 10 years old when we went metric at school (1974/75 ish). I think of cold temperatures in celcius (0 is freezing) and hot temps in farhenheit (Its going to hit 75 today). I learned to drive in cars with kilometres on the speedo, but all my vehicles now have miles on the dash, I get confused when I don't have to convert. I like my beer in pints (better be imperial not US measure!). Of course the lumber in my old house is imperial, but some is dimensional not nominal...

Some Canadian Tire stores (but not all) in Victoria have a good selection of metric sold by the piece, unpackaged, it may be worth calling around to few. I have had some good luck at marine supply stores as well, the older and more established the better. Indie bike shops are great as well, my local guy has let me pick through his jars of mixed leftovers for oddball bits, doesn't charge me.
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

JeffM that was a good link ... its even worse than I thought lol. Measuring fuel economy in liters per 100km ... thats just priceless Smile I knew it was screwed up but I didn't know why. That link sums it all up pretty well .. tells the history of it. Thanks.

A major industrial supplier here of nuts and bolts... Apex ... you guessed it ... stopped carrying any metric hardware. Its just nuts ... errr I mean crazy..

The funny part is, I can drive across the border to small town Calais Maine US, a non metric country (about 2 hours from here) and buy all the metric stuff I want ... different grades, stainless etc.

Ok I feel better now Shocked
JeffM

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

Now if I could just find stainless metric with Robertson heads......
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

Yeah jimmer, I hear your frustration. In the grocery stores everything seems to be sold by the pound. You would think in Canada, things would be sold by the kilogram?? Miles per gallon is still the only way I can figure out fuel consumption, even though we buy it by the litre. Oh well, its just part of being Canadian. At least we have good beer, none of that watered down American stuff Smile
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

I think there is some insight to our national identity in this thread... gotta have a sense of humour to live in the Great White North eh.

I work around aircraft... the fuel gauges are in pounds, we sell fuel in litres, distance and speed are knots (nautical miles), altitude in feet, we measure the helpad in metres, and weigh the aircraft in pounds.

RG, you think you have trouble with fuel calculations? you might remember the Gimli Glider, the Air Canada 767 that deadsticked into Gimli Manitoba from 41,000 feet when it ran out of fuel due to a metric/imperial miscalculation. Amazing story; the aircrew were diciplined for pilot error and also awarded airmanship honours. The deregistered airstrip was in active use as a dragstrip when the 767 glided in!
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

THe DOT moved to metric tons a few years back..........the poor contractors that were used to bidding on tons (in pounds) were totally lost on their bids so they changed it back to regular tons.......

And the Telephone Companies ....all their records are in feet.........a change to meters would wack their brains......was a contract engineer and it was bad enough swaging in feet...........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

Jeff,I remember the Gimli Glider. Canadians seem to be good at gliding airliners. Not long ago an Air Transat flight had a fuel leak over the atlantic. His engines quit and he was able to glide the plane into Tenerife on the Canary Islands. Quite amazing feats of skill considering an airliner glides like a stone.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

My two cent's worth, they fly like a Steinway. Damn near break your arm's with the electric pump's on the hydralic's.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

Wait till I go down in my speedo and flip flops.......will have to hire some illegals to help me lick my wounds....... Shocked

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

how about the Mars explorer lander NASA lost because of errors it what system they were using on Mars atmosphere entry Mph or Kph? and those guys were rocket scienctists lol either that or the Cylons or the Borg shot it down
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: You know what i hate ....

Retiredgentleman wrote:
considering an airliner glides like a stone.

Not quite true RG, a 747 has a glide ratio of 15:1. So if a 747 dies at 35,000 feet it can glide for 100 miles!

A space shuttle has a glide ratio between 1 & 2:1, and they glide all the way down! Shocked

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1