650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Mikes XS General Quality.

Mikes XS General Quality.
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 30, 2009, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Mikes XS General Quality.

Hey, I just feel the need to say this.

When I finished my bike, I did so with sh*t loads of stuff from Mikes XS. All the stuff I mentioned came from Mikes. This represents 1600 Miles.

Foot peg, and gear change rubbers. Thrown away. Fell apart in no time.
Sump Filter, torn in 1000 mile oil change check.
Chrome Handlebar clamp, worn out going rusty. (bike NEVER ridden in wet)
Engine Chrome Kit, total crap, all replaced with stainless, rocker pin ends rusting and Phillips heads wrecked actually inserting them because the threads are cut so badly. Made out of tin foil or something.
Inlet rubbers look roapy already.
Clutch cable ends wrecked. Already replaced.
Speedo cable outer guard came unstuck.

There are others, but its just pissing me off talking about it. The guys in Germany and Holland are cool guys. But the quality of some of this stuff seriously needs looking at. Especially considering, its AINT inexpensive.
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: May 30, 2009, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

It sounds like you've bought considerably more from mikesxs than me. I must say I've been happy with everything thus far and the prices to me are great. $12 cables that are made in japan, on my last rebuild the cables were $60 each when you could find them. I did replace the sump filter and it will be interesting to check it out after 1,000 miles or so, the sump filter mikes sells is made in japan and looked pretty good and again at $25, compare that to the dealer at $77, would the factory filter hold up? they don't have a real good track record for it.

I'm happy with everything to this point, I guess I'll just have to see in a year or so!

PostPosted: May 30, 2009, 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

Overall, I've been happy with the stuff I've gotten from MikesXS, but I have to agree on the foot peg rubber. One of mine is split and they both show premature wear. The rubber split in less than 100 miles.
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

I have used the sump strainer for 2755 kms or 1700 miles and it looks as good as new. The metal reinforcing behind the strainer mesh appears to be strong.

Clutch cable and throttle cable used for the same milage, with no problems.

Heiden oil filter/cooler works very nicely. I'm generally satisfied with his parts.

Several people have reported that the engine chrome kit is very bad.
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

I recieved a front sprocket nut from MikesXS that had no threads, a speedo cable that was listed as being for my year model that was too short, tach cable that was too long, foot peg rubbers that also wore out too fast (about 1000 miles), exhaust nuts that were too flimsy to handle the torque, center stand bolts that were too short for the exhaust brackets to mount to ("fits all XS650's") and parts that I didn't order in place of the ones that I did (wrong numbers). His response to emails that I sent with my concerns were answered with statements such that he was doing the best that he could or that I didn't know what year bike I had. I am very aware of which model I am working on DUH! Never once did he offer to let me return the parts for exchange for credit, although he claims to have a 30 day return policy. I do appreciate that he is catering exclusively to us XS650 owners, and yes his service is fast, if the parts are in stock, but it would be nice if he backed up his products with a little more quality control and greater attention to the differences in some of the 650 models. One size does NOT fit all, and I have a box of MikesXS parts to prove it. Maybe I should go buy a bike that they will fit so that I don't have anything to bitch about, but I would prefer that he would respond graciously to the concerns of the people that keep him in business.

tx650 speedo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.66 KB
 Viewed:  124 Time(s)

tx650 speedo.jpg

royfisk

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

yea I have had some stuff I am not real pleased with such as the double banjo nut for brake lines only threads into the houseing about a 1/8th inch. Not real cool with the amount of pressure that goes through the lines, speaking of which the stainless steele lines are suppose to stop line expansion, (The reason we use them). His do not. I installed them bled the lines and lightly held the line while applying the brake and can detect line expansion (just as much as stock rubber lines.) But over all mikes stuff works fairly well. Most of you havent had the pleasure of dealing with aftermarket parts quality on a regular basis. I have been dealing with it for years and am here to tell you that if you think your having a hard time with try being mike. He has to deal with it too. The only way to low cost manufactureing is to go overseas, and they just dont care if the part is right. On the other hand Mike works his ass off to get us parts that are otherwise unavailable, and beleive me quality is on his mind as well. He dont want a warehouse full of unsaleable parts. If you are haveing a problam with a certain part I think mike should know about it and then he can make a decision as to wether to reorder from that manufacturer or not. Also note that I have seen parts oem that were junk as well. anyhow thanks mike for the effort.
cpotts454

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

I've bought probably at least a grand worth of stuff from here. Almost all the parts I have bought have been use able. I do however have to complain a bit about any of the chrome they sell. Near all of it has rusted and I have only been riding on this bike for about 2 months now. Not cool. Other then that though his service is great. It takes 3 days to get any part I need. Thats fantastic! Thanks Mike.
Photo Gallery
IAmGrowler

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

Just got my latest order in from Mikes.

New diamond pattern chrome grips -- Chrome looks great, diamond patterned rubber cut-outs a bit iffy, but tolerable.

New chrome mirrors -- Had to strip the chrome from the threads, but dealing with replated plumbing fixtures all the time, I expected this and don't view it as a problem.

Chrome handlebar controls -- Plating looks great, buttons and switches look good. The only issue was the starter button housing doesn't seat very well in the housing, but fixed with a single drop of Gorilla Glue.

Overall I am very pleased with the items received.

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

Like I said this is the stuff mike nees to hear cause Im sure he isnt getting everything from one source. And quality is as important to him as it is to you mayby more cause bad word of mouth on a certain item and hes gotten stuck with it. Aftermarket motorcycle parts have been natorious for not fitting correctly, just plain junk, bad chrome, etc, etc , etc. Mike can use your imput to quality before he reorders a certain item. Just remember that quality generally comes with a price tag, and that 25 cent chrome nut may become a 1 dollar nut. A cable being 2 -3 inches to short is a un acceptable item and mike should know about it. UNLESS YOUR RUNNING a altered speedo mounting spot and or frame. Then its your fault. I think Mike does a hell of good job at doing the best he can to offer as much products as he does to such a small market. He could be investing in up to date video game consoles that the teens want and be turning his profit back, probably much quicker then with dinosauer motorcycle parts.
5twins

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

Mike really doesn't take well to adverse comments on his stuff. It seems that it's all golden to him. Tell him otherwise and he gets mad.

I like $12 clutch cables as much as the next guy but when they snap at the handlebar lever in as little as 1000 miles - well, maybe not so much. And when Mike tells me it's my fault, well .. I lubed it, I greased the pivots, I did everything right, ever more maintenance than most guys do. The problem is he's having them made with a skinnier inner cable and that just won't hold up to the stiff clutch pull most of these bikes have.

When I installed the single points cam and found the machining wrong, Mike said they were accurately CNC machined with no chance for error. OK, they're accurately machined, but wrong.

I guess it is hard to run a business and deal with both your customers and suppliers. But when you get multiple reports of a bad product, don't brow-beat and call us consumers inept for installing it wrong. My God, do you think this is the 1st clutch cable I ever installed and the 1st time I ever set my points? I've been biking for over 30 years. Guys like me could actually help with product development and testing. But Mike wants nothing to do with internet commentators. He warns about listening to people like us. Yet ... he adds new products and sometimes upgrades old ones (after he's sold the current stock, of course) based on what we say. What's up with that?
tito650

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

i commented on here about a few things mikes has and he came after me swinging ? but i still ordered my parts from him i needed. i was happy with most everything i got . i'm apreciative of mike and what he does but like anything u buy pick and choose wisely, it's not all good. i'm glad we have this forem to discuss products and parts wether from mikes or yamaha or else where. it allows us to make good buys for our bikes. i only can hope instead of getting defensive and attacking , these supplyers will quietly read our threads and make the changes needed to there products so will be coming back for more .
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: June 8, 2009, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

I bought the dual fire point cam also and had no problam with it what so ever. I dont think as I said before that Mike would have inferior parts made. Not at todays pricing of materials, and taking a chance that he get stuck with a warehouse full of parts. I think you will see mike get offensive if you were to put his items up as junk, and mayby it is that one part only or you may be 100% right and the whole lot be junk, but i would hope that mike would realise there was a problam if the whole lot was bad and rectify the problam before it reached all of our hands. What most people dont see is the business end of this type of business. Its a small market. Its a slow return on your dollar, You need to put a item up for bids on manufactureing. The biggest and best manufacturers dont even want to produce a part unless you order 15,000 of them. Now stop and think does mike need to have 15,000 clutch cables in his warehouse??? Probably not so a smaller company will put a bid in on the part if he orders say 200. Mike says ok lets do it. That smaller company may or may not cut corners to produce that part cheap enough so both mike and the manufacturer can make a buck Like it or not we,nor mike have 100% control over what they produce. Im sure Mike could get heavy duty parts for say, But the priceing too would be heavy duty. Another fact is most people riding these bikes want to pay as little as possible to maintain them. I still have bikes I repaired several years ago that the owners have never paid up there tabs on. There are people on this site that I shipped parts to on a promise of payment and never received it. And that was just to cover shipping. They know who they are and so do I. There looking for parts right now, and I have what they want but I wouldnt sell it to them for 1000 times what its worth. But thats another whole animal. Bottom line is Mike is doing the best he can to keep these old bikes alive. They are not harleys where there are a gazillion of them out there and just as many manufacturers to supply the parts. I have spoken my piece.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

I suspect that I have been unlucky in the sense that I needed so much stuff, I had to buy stuff that wasnt in the 'top quality" list.
I am sure I would have been happy with the 750 kit, and I was happy with the pistons and rings and gaskets and seals. But just not the smaller stuff that makes the bike look nice, the Chrome isnt up to much. I would consider rechroming or using stainless if possible. And using original Yamaha Rubbers if you can still get it.

However, I just sold the bike so...I am no longer an XS dude Sad Woah is me :-(..
Photo Gallery
cpt137

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

I got some fork boots and split after 300 miles at the seam. I ask about it and got chastised for thinking they should work with 30 year old springs. Got some Rancho for my next build and no problem. Most of the stuff has been good but I don't like the attitude.
royfisk

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes XS General Quality.

i bought some boots from parts unlimited 2 years ago, The bike has never been outside the garage, therefore no uv light to ruin them and zero milage. There spilit. I replaced them with daystar fork boots from parts unlimited for my xsl project and could see a huge differance in the quality right off the bat. They differ 2 ways one there longer which means you do not have to stretch them to fit your bike and 2 they taper a little at the top which gives more of a dirt bike style boot. But all the boots I have seen made for the 650 are really to short. You should not have to stretch the boot when they fit properly. That causes them to split. But again thats not Mike. He is selling what the manufacturer is selling him, and parts unlimited, tucker rockey. etc. Speaking of parts has anyone bought any of franks fork tubes lately??? $250.00 plus $30.00 shipping. Thats insane. I bought a set about 2 years ago and they were only $130.00. Oh well when you want parts that are perfect you gotta pay for them. IF I WERE USEING A XS-650 FORK I WOULD BUY MIKES. But I am not I am useing a 36mm xs-750 front end and there not available anywhere else that I know of. Plus there 2" over so I guess it is not really out of order. Also ordered my redwing hammerheads from omars for this project. Cant wait to see how fast I can get through the rte 63 twisties now that it WILL handle. Hopefull next spring I will have the 17" wheels mounted up and on the ride.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1